First of all, kudos to you for picking a hard song to sing and not delivering a fail blog contender.

Also, kudos for not trying to sing up the octave when your voice is clearly not cut out for it. You sensibly chose to keep it within your range.

Your pitch is fairly good.

Suggestions - you need to get your voice out of your throat. Easier said than done, but singing from your throat leads to flatness of pitch, an unstable and unresonant tone, and eventually injury. I'm a strong advocate of lessons.

Beyond that, you need to open your throat into a yawn-like position, and aim the voice towards the front of your mouth. (NOT the other side of the room!!) Your hard palate and your teeth are there. Those hard surfaces are major factors in how much projection you will get. Aiming it to the front of the mouth helps to get it up and out of the throat.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I'm sorry man but your voice is so difficult to listen to. It sounded like you made a parody of a great song!
Quote by rbouchard47
I'm sorry man but your voice is so difficult to listen to. It sounded like you made a parody of a great song!

So, when my kids at school (grades 5-8) express something like this, I review the meaning of "constructive criticism" and encourage them to come up with something that indicates what, more specifically, it was that they didn't like, and perhaps a suggestion on what they could do to improve.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by axemanchris
So, when my kids at school (grades 5-8) express something like this, I review the meaning of "constructive criticism" and encourage them to come up with something that indicates what, more specifically, it was that they didn't like, and perhaps a suggestion on what they could do to improve.

CT

I'm sorry bro what I really meant to say was that his tone was a bit too raspy for the song. I think it would have sounded much better if he smoothed out a few parts and sang more dynamically-ish-like, like for "yeah you bleed just to know you're alive" and the choruses.
Much better.

I don't feel it my place to accept your apology, as I'm not the one who has been slighted.

CT

Thanks for the comment man, I was actually just trying to get a little bit more rasp in my voice, as I usually sing with a very "clean" tone and was trying to do something different to sound more aggressive. I'll post something soon with my voice sounding a bit more natural.
Why would you want to go for aggressive when singing Iris?

CT

Quote by axemanchris
Why would you want to go for aggressive when singing Iris?

CT

John Rzeznik's voice has got quite a harsh tone to it.

The way John does that is singing with the lower end of his voice and he smokes tons so you will most probably wont get his tone.

I've coverd this song many times and i've sang it in the same octaves John Rzeznik did and belive me there is no need to worry about the tone cause I tried singing it like how John does (Bit throaty) and I had no control over my voice and it was hard to hit the high notes in the chorus but I just sang it my way and people said it was "epic" cause I was singing the same octaves as him.

So don't worry about the tone. What could help you is to play it in the original tuning which is DBBBBB cause I find that to be a good guidline instead of playing it in Drop D, Standard or Open D.

Good luck
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
Quote by Tokai09

*disclaimer* I love the Goo Goo Dolls - especially Superstar Car Wash and Boy Named Goo.

Yeah, he *can* get a harsh quality to it, but for the really harsh style vocals, they get Robbie to sing. (think Slave Girl... frickin' RAWKin!) Most of the time, he goes from somewhat harsh (think Long Way Down) to quite clean (think Name).

In Iris, he kinda puts on that 'breathy' sound in the verses, (to kind of achieve that 'sexy, intimate' vibe that the girlies like) but the choruses are very clean. My guess is that if he sang them otherwise, to reach those notes, his voice would just break up. When you get up to the top of your range, it's really a case of 'go hard or go home.' I love his voice, but Iris really represents the top of his range. Not bad... there's some good solid B's there!

I really don't think an agressive tone suits that song - not in the slightest. Even think of the lyrics.... it just doesn't fit.

CT

Quote by axemanchris
*disclaimer* I love the Goo Goo Dolls - especially Superstar Car Wash and Boy Named Goo.

Yeah, he *can* get a harsh quality to it, but for the really harsh style vocals, they get Robbie to sing. (think Slave Girl... frickin' RAWKin!) Most of the time, he goes from somewhat harsh (think Long Way Down) to quite clean (think Name).

In Iris, he kinda puts on that 'breathy' sound in the verses, (to kind of achieve that 'sexy, intimate' vibe that the girlies like) but the choruses are very clean. My guess is that if he sang them otherwise, to reach those notes, his voice would just break up. When you get up to the top of your range, it's really a case of 'go hard or go home.' I love his voice, but Iris really represents the top of his range. Not bad... there's some good solid B's there!

I really don't think an agressive tone suits that song - not in the slightest. Even think of the lyrics.... it just doesn't fit.

CT

Yeah I totaly agree. You have to kinda have the breathy sound to put alot emotion into the song which is what I did and apparently it made people tear...hopfully not in a bad way

But yeah John has an amazing range and his voice is very soulful. I think his voice was at it's best around 2001 - 2004 range wise cause I think the whole smoking and drinking has caught up with him now. But I think it's amazing that dynamic he does in Cuz You're Gone at the Live In Buffalo show, it totaly blew me away.
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Interesting that you point that out, because it was in that period from about 2001 onwards that he really tried to sing cleanly most of the time. They had also fully engaged in the 'appeal to the masses' stage too, so no more songs like Long Way Down, and more songs like Black Balloon. From a career perspective, it truly represented "Everything he learned about Ego, Opinion, Art and Commerce", but it probably also saved his voice.

By the time they did the Boy Named Goo album, they had been slugging it out in the Buffalo clubs for years - starting out as a hair-metal-ish-but-grittier band in the late '80's, I believe. (though the Hold Me Up album isn't very hair-metal-y) You can only keep that going for so long before nodes catch up with you.

CT

Quote by Tokai09

The way John does that is singing with the lower end of his voice and he smokes tons so you will most probably wont get his tone.

I've coverd this song many times and i've sang it in the same octaves John Rzeznik did and belive me there is no need to worry about the tone cause I tried singing it like how John does (Bit throaty) and I had no control over my voice and it was hard to hit the high notes in the chorus but I just sang it my way and people said it was "epic" cause I was singing the same octaves as him.

So don't worry about the tone. What could help you is to play it in the original tuning which is DBBBBB cause I find that to be a good guidline instead of playing it in Drop D, Standard or Open D.

Good luck

Actually, I believe the tuning is BDDDDD; E down to B, A down to D, D....stays at D, G down to D, B up to D (be careful) and E down to D.

But if anything, the verses have to be clean (I didn't listen to yours, but I'm just stating this based on the song itself). But I do think that during the chorus that although his voice isn't raspy or aggressive really, it's not as clean as it is during the verses. But really, Agressive+Any song in the Acoustic & Classical Guitar's "Impress Girls" song list=/=agressive for the most part.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
Quote by clayonfire
Actually, I believe the tuning is BDDDDD; E down to B, A down to D, D....stays at D, G down to D, B up to D (be careful) and E down to D.

But if anything, the verses have to be clean (I didn't listen to yours, but I'm just stating this based on the song itself). But I do think that during the chorus that although his voice isn't raspy or aggressive really, it's not as clean as it is during the verses. But really, Agressive+Any song in the Acoustic & Classical Guitar's "Impress Girls" song list=/=agressive for the most part.

Oh yeah my bad, got it the wrong way round lol.