then finally needed a day of very little playing?

seriously, my left hand feels thrashed, hurts to curl my fingers. im probably just going to run through some scales and arpeggios, and thatll be it for today.

i guess i should note that this is probably a bit worse for me than it should be, since ive spent about 50% of my practice time playing classical, which is far more stressful on your fretting hand.

well, yeah, has this ever happened to you?
I built up to it. I increased my practice time by 30 min a day each day. I practice for 6-7 hours a day now. 20 minutes being warm up. I can't say that I've had any problems when it comes to pain, only fatigue.
(۳ ˚Д˚۳
WTFISTHIS****!?!??

My Rig

Quote by SimplyBen
Wait until he's trying the fullstack, then shove it from behind. Crushing him with it's overdrive

Quote by BobDetroit
You can't tune a LP copies down. Some kind of lawsuit Gibson won. Sorry.
Yes, this has happened to me before, in fact I'm sure that it's happened to plenty of people here. Classic guitar, yeah, that's going to definitely stress your hand much more. Honestly, if -my- hand feels 'thrashed' then I hardly even touch my guitar until I feel better. Especially in the beginning, when I first started out, because I insanely played 10 hours or more a day.

Anyways, take a break, or just go really slow and easy on your fingers, IMO. After a while I learned to ease up on practice time, plus the more I played the easier it got for me to play for extended periods of time for days in a row. Then again, I don't play classical guitar, as much as I wouldn't be averse to it.
if you are feeling that much pain stop. people like Satch and Vai didnt practice like that until they had YEARS of regular practice. Rushing into it too fast is going to tear your muscle tissue up and you will be worse off then some who plays an hour or two a day.

Its the equivilent of a hernia if you want to lift 500 pounds you dont try it on day one you build up.
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
Quote by TechnoLp
Its the equivilent of a hernia if you want to lift 500 pounds you dont try it on day one you build up.

unless you're huge... kinda like myself :P

but i think that you might be practising too much. maybe leave it for a few days. I wouldnt be surprised if you came back in 2-3 days and you were better than before.
I think thats a bit excessive, theres more to life you know
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Exactly, guitar shouldn't stop you from living a fulfilling life. That being said, when I do practise 6 hours a day, I've always taken it in parts, like 3 2 hour parts for example. 6 hours straight is only going to lead to frustration and injury.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
I practice about 5 hrs each weekend day, and a good 2 hrs/day on weeknights. These days, the worst I get is a little bit of fatigue, and when that happens I take a day off. But it certainly didn't always used to be like that - I remember times when I could barely bend my wrist. For me the difference was -

1) Thorough stretch and gradual warm up beforehand.
2) I take breaks. I'll play 30 mins, then take a 10 minute break, and pretty much repeat the cycle.
3) My technique has improved quite a bit since the days when long practices would leave my wrist feeling sore. In particular the more you eliminate tension, the less effort you're expending when you practice.

Incorporate 1 and 2, work on 3, and just bring the practice time up gradually.
Practice what YOU wanna practice, but like they said, if you feel any pain, stop. Then next time when you practice start slow to make sure your technique is ok. Like se said, eliminate tension. I practice about 4 to 8 hours a day, don't get sore and still have a "fulfilling life." But that's probably because I only work part-time.

It's a productive hobby and if you feel like putting extra time in don't let anyone tell you it's wrong, unless you're doing it wrong, haha.
Quote by Alter-Bridge
Exactly, guitar shouldn't stop you from living a fulfilling life. That being said, when I do practise 6 hours a day, I've always taken it in parts, like 3 2 hour parts for example. 6 hours straight is only going to lead to frustration and injury.

This
I did something like this ONCE, and never did it again. It was when I just started playing, I played 6 hours a day, 30 minute break in between every three hours, for 4 days. Killed my hand. I can make weird popping noises with it now. Nowadays, I spend about 1.5-2 hours practice, and on weekends, I play 2-5 hours, depending on what/who I'm playing with. I spend about 30-40 minutes warm up now, and haven't had a problem with my fingers since.
Yea I did this all last summer but can't now that I'm in highschool and manage my schools Varsity football team. I used to practice 8+ actually and I miss it
GEAR

Fender Telecaster Standard
Ibanez GAX75
Takamine Jasmine