Anyone else think they really need to give the swine flu thing a rest in the news?
I mean...sure its something we all need to be aware of...but by now im sure we are all very aware.. it seems like thats all the news is talking about.. dont they have other stories? All they did was scare people into thinking its worse than what it really is!
It's a pandemic that can kill people. Really, unless the media hysteria is way worse where you are, how did they make it seem worse?

S t a i r s s r i a t S

It's overhyped. That is all I have to say.
Music.

PSN: JSniper-
Add me, and say you're from UG.

And yeah, I did make that name up when I was 13.
Quote by Scoot16

this
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Quote by Scoot16

agree, my cousin who lives in my house had it, i was fine, its just like a different type of flu
Quote by MushroomBomb
It's a pandemic that can kill people. Really, unless the media hysteria is way worse where you are, how did they make it seem worse?

The normal flu can kill too...
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Almost this exact thread was around a week ago.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Its just a scare tactic to try and get people to take their vaccines..
Feel free to add me on STEAM: thesystemhasfailed
XBL tag: cbiggs18
They're not coming anywhere near me with that vaccine ...they dont even really know what the long term side effects might be
Quote by Kensai
Well alot of americans are sick and more can get sick, each infection increasing the chances of it mutating. Unless you're a huge blubbering rhubarb smelling idiot you'll probably realize it's not good to have half the country staying home ill.

edit: Sorry, forgot this was UG. Should've just assumed you're all half-witted gits.

Sums up this discussion.

EDIT:

Quote by floppy pick
The normal flu can kill too...

This has a significantly higher mortality rate then the average seasonal flu strain. Because there's usually hundreds of strains infecting people, and this single strain is so much more contagious (it's not flu season and lots of people are sick) it is going to kill a lot more people then a normal year of flu.
Last edited by bendystraw at Nov 6, 2009,
Quote by MetalMayham666
The normal flu can kill people to..and infact has killed more people..

That's because "normal" flu has been around a f*ckload longer than swine flu.

It may be overhyped in the media, but that is causing underestimating of swine flu. Figures from last week show that swine flu is TEN TIMES MORE FATAL than seasonal flu, at 1.26% against 0.1% mortality rates. The US is on par with that average, whilst the UK has half the mortality rate of swine flu.

However, some of you seem to forget that

a) it's a new virus

b) it's spreading rather quickly, considering it hasn't even been around for a year yet, increasing chances of mutation

c) We haven't even hit flu season yet.

Sure, it may not have the highest mortality rate of a virus ever. However, if you only look at deaths, then you're goping to grossly underestimate the virus. It s easily transmitted between humans. More people get the virus, more people off work sick, things slow down.

To all those people who have, or know someone who's had it and it "wasn't tbat bad" or "it just felt like a really bad flu" well... yeah, of course. Liklihood is that you or they aren't in the "at risk" groups.

So before any of you go around trying to sound all anti-media about swine flu, stop and actually think about things outside of the death toll.
Quote by MetalMayham666
lol you think the swine flu is new? there was an outbreak in 1918 of the same sort of thing

lol, you think swine flu is the same as Spanish flu. Wrong. Spanish flu was an avian based flu. H1N1 is a subtype of influenza. You'll find a lot of normal seasonal flu viruses in the H1N1 category. This swine flu isn't actually swine flu either- it contains genes found in a human strain, from two swine strains, and an avian strain.

Before you try and look smart... be correct maybe?
Quote by MetalMayham666
Dont try to pretend like you know what your talking about lol

I don't need to pretend. This week I went to a place called Chester, received a piece of paper that entitles me to put BSc (Hons) at the end of my name. I received a degree in Biomedical Sciences, after having spent three years studying the biology of disease, infection control, pandemic history and many other related topics. I guarantee I know and understand more about this than you do.
I'm a million times more scared of all the new species of antibiotic-resistant bacteria that will emerge after people's frantic use of antibac...
Quote by MetalMayham666
Dont try to pretend like you know what your talking about lol

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

I caught swine flu 3 days ago, I feel perfectly fine after being treated for 2 days, but I really wanna go outside
I have to finish the rest of the meds before I'm supposed to be in public.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I don't need to pretend. This week I went to a place called Chester, received a piece of paper that entitles me to put BSc (Hons) at the end of my name. I received a degree in Biomedical Sciences, after having spent three years studying the biology of disease, infection control, pandemic history and many other related topics. I guarantee I know and understand more about this than you do.
Pretending is for gays! I play hardcore; I play paintballing!