I have a microphonic pre amp tube in my JCM 800 4210 that when I play an A note it rattles, and when I use my wah. Can I take it out for the mean time untill I get a new one or will it blow something? I understand it will have less gain and volume but I can live with that for now. Cheers
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Les Paul Copy
AX Copy
Ibanez Gio

JCM 800 4211

Vox 847
Marshall Guv'nor 2

Need more amps!
nope, preamps are designed in a linear fashion so removing a tube breaks the flow of signal
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
If it rattles I don't think its micrphonic, probably just needs to be pushed in all the way.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Ive tried flicking it with a chopstick and it clinks. It wont go in any further.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Les Paul Copy
AX Copy
Ibanez Gio

JCM 800 4211

Vox 847
Marshall Guv'nor 2

Need more amps!
The tube base might be loose from the chassis. Check to see if the mounting is solid. Do not use your amplifier minus any tubes. You will fry the thing and end up with an enormously expensive repair bill.
She feels firm. Should I try swapping it and another one around and see it flicking it still makes a sound?
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Les Paul Copy
AX Copy
Ibanez Gio

JCM 800 4211

Vox 847
Marshall Guv'nor 2

Need more amps!
Wont kill my amp if I swap two pre amp valves around?
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Les Paul Copy
AX Copy
Ibanez Gio

JCM 800 4211

Vox 847
Marshall Guv'nor 2

Need more amps!
Quote by GuitarGetsMeSex
Wont kill my amp if I swap two pre amp valves around?

As long as they're the same kind of tube, it's good. Just don't go turning it on with a less-than-complete tube complement.
Ok well its not the tube. I put another tube in place and it still is really loud when i tap it. It feels kinda loose in the socket (the socket is tight) but i've pushed it up as hard as i dare
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Les Paul Copy
AX Copy
Ibanez Gio

JCM 800 4211

Vox 847
Marshall Guv'nor 2

Need more amps!