Hello all
This christmas/my birthday (which is right about christmas) i might be buying a new amp and pedal with my parents. Ya know, drop some cash and trade in some old unused pedals and stuff on it.
The amp needs to be;
-Tube.
-Below 15 watts.
-Has to had a good clean channel (think SRV or the intro to Yellow Ledbetter by Pearl Jam)
-I would LIKE some basic EQ features, treble mid and bass would be nice, but i can slide on that.

The pedal would be an OD or a boost or something to get a good crunch out of it.
-Analog would be nice.
-Little or no tone coloration, just gain boost/OD.
-Needs to go as crunchy as like, Clutch or Social Distortion, but not much more.

I'd be after, in a perfect world, a sound like Social Distortions live sound, or on the "Sex Love and Rock n Roll" album.

I'm not sure how much my budget is, since it would be a gift and all, but i'd say no higher than $700 USD total.

I was thinking maybe a Fender Blues Jr and a Ibanez Tubescreamer or some such, but i'd like some opinions and suggestions.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
tiny terror and tubescreamer
ENGL E530 pre amp
Marshall 8008 power amp
Vox Night train 1x12 cab

Dean Razorback V

Major Gas for an esp/ltd eclipse
The Timmy seems nice, but the huge wait sounds a bit... annoying. Is it REALLY that great?
Quote by Code-E

Quote by magnum1117

Quote by necrosis1193
Quote by Akridosity
For the pedal i'd go with a Timmy.
If he's considering an Ibanez Tubescreamer I highly doubt he could get a Timmy...overrated anyway.

If you really want a Timmy, you could get a Cool Cat Transparent OD.

I think a Blues Jr. and a Tubescreamer is great idea.
Quote by MetalGuitarest
tiny terror & a ibanez tube screamer or if on a budget after that... a digitech bad monkey

I just looked up the Tiny Terror (I used to have a huge GAS for one) and they're pricier than they used to be

$800 is the cheapest i could find new.

Quote by connorhxcchaos
Its not a tube... but Marshall MG15CDR and a Krank Distortus Maximus

What?

No. Just no.

Quote by The_Bosstone
If he's considering an Ibanez Tubescreamer I highly doubt he could get a Timmy...overrated anyway.

If you really want a Timmy, you could get a Cool Cat Transparent OD.

I think a Blues Jr. and a Tubescreamer is great idea.

I watched a few demos of the Timmy on Youtube, and i mean, it sounds good and all but like i said, it seems like it isn't worth the huge wait.
Quote by Code-E

Quote by magnum1117

Quote by necrosis1193
Last edited by p o e at Nov 6, 2009,
I checked out the Cool Cat OD, and it isn't my thing.
Quote by Code-E

Quote by magnum1117

Quote by necrosis1193
The Orange Tiny Terror is a pretty nice amp I find. The cleans are decent and the overdriven tones are similar to a Rocker 30 but not quite as dark and "moody". I personally played an OCD by Fulltone and a Crowther Audio Hotcake through a Tiny Terror before and it sounded very, very nice.

You've also got the Vox Night Train, which I personally think to be better than the TT. It isn't quite so bland and flat as the Orange.

The new Marshall Class 5 is out now. Check that out, but I can't comment on it's tone or qaulity.

Same applies to the Laney Cub and Vox AC4.

The Blackheart Little Giant is a very crunchy, bluesy amp that has plenty of natural, sweet gain. Very nice for open chords as it's considerably less compressed than the Orange, and probably the Marshall.

Laney LC15 from the used market. Gorgeous little amp, but a little thin and whispy. If you don't like British tones, you'd probably be better off elsewhere.

Orange AD5. I don't know why this amp doesn't receive very much praise, I think it's tasty.

Egnator Rebel 20. I haven't tried it but I've heard quite a few good remarks on it. One or two nice, respectable blokes around here have it.

In terms of pedals, I'd suggest avoiding Boss, Digitech (apart from the Bad Monkey and maybe one or two others) AMT (their tones are very scooped and Death-Metalish) Behringer, and maybe a few MXR pedals.

Mad Professor, Crowther Audio, Fulltone, MXR, Maxon, Ibanez, ProCo, Electro Harmonix, T-Rex, Xotic, etc. are all great designers. There are too many to list individual pedals.
Quote by connorhxcchaos

Could this be considered trolling?
Dot>Jekyll & Hyde>Turbo Tuner>DD-3>DD-7>DRRI
Quote by Akridosity
For the pedal i'd go with a Timmy.

+1 It's only around four months.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
Awesome post.

There were several things in there i hadn't considered at all.

One thing i'd like to say though, i really would love a combo instead of a head.
Quote by Code-E

Quote by magnum1117

Quote by necrosis1193
tbh, I'm not very good with American people, because I don't know half of the amps that are availible to them.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
tbh, I'm not very good with American people, because I don't know half of the amps that are availible to them.

But those were all great sounding amps.

I fell in love with the Night Train in a demo, but it only comes in a head that i could find. I don't really want to do that foolishness, since it would be for small gigs and bedroom jamming really. If the Night Train came in a combo, i'd snatch it up so fast.

Other than that, like i said, i like the Blues Jr, i know a great store around here that has a used Blues Jr in stock for $200, which is way under budget. But the Orange TT seemed really nice too.

Too many choices!
Quote by Code-E

Quote by magnum1117

Quote by necrosis1193
I'd go for the Blues Jr. and a Danelectro Transparent Overdrive V.1 which is a Paul C. Timmy clone.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Marshall Class 5

Marshall Studio 15 (if you can find one)

Marshall Haze (with a different cab)

Vox Night Train (single channel)

Fender Blues Jr.

Fender Woody Pro Junior

Fender Pro Junior

Fender Blues Deluxe

Marshall 18 watter clone

Used Budda Superdrive 18 (maybe)

Epiphone Valve Senior

Epiphone Blues Custom

You've got a LOT of options, honestly.

As for a pedal, the Digitech Bad Monkey is a great cheap transparent boost.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Traynor YCV40 seems like somthing you'll like, and it has a very good od channel, so you wouldn't have to buy a pedal
Holy hell, that Marshall Haze 15 watt head sounds amazing too.

I'm very hesitant to buy a head/cab though since i know next to nothing of cabinets, and like i've said before, this amp will be for smaller gigs, (coffee houses, parties, et cetera) and bedroom jamming/band practices for when i don't want to lug my Mesa. I want it to be very easy to get around, but to have much much better tone than the Micro Cube i've been using for such occasions as my Mesa would be impractical.

Top 5 amps so far;
Orange Tiny Terror.
Fender Blues Junior.
Vox Night Train.
Marshall Haze 15.
Marshall Class 5.

Now i know you cats are gonna start on about British voice Vs American voice and all that jazz, but honestly it all sounds good to me. I can see upsides and downsides to all of the amps i've checked out online today.

Maybe i ought to track all of these down and go have a look-see for myself. Road trip to the big city with my Les Paul and my Strat or somethin'.

Is this turning into a blog? Meh.

Oh! What's it like owning a stack? I've never considered one, since i didn't feel i needed one. But after today i'm getting the GAS for a couple of stacks.
Quote by Code-E

Quote by magnum1117

Quote by necrosis1193
Looks like you've got the right idea when it comes to amps to pick up.
As for OD/Pedals, I'm not entirely sure that the TS-9 would work for what you want it to.
How much are you looking to throw out on the OD?
Not a huge fan of bees
ibanez tube screamer for the pedal, and for the amp get a fender somthing. a twin or somthing like that, the cleans on a tube amp at lo levels are ok ayway, and you have a pedal so yeah.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
The Vox Night Train is a tiny head. It's really light and easy to carry around. The 1x12 cabinet that comes with it is small as well, and isn't half bad. It suits the tone pretty well.
That's what they call a 1/4 stack. It's only a tiny bit bigger than a combo. In fact, it's actually easier to carry in many ways because the head and cabinet can be separated.
Quote by Gelato
Looks like you've got the right idea when it comes to amps to pick up.
As for OD/Pedals, I'm not entirely sure that the TS-9 would work for what you want it to.
How much are you looking to throw out on the OD?

Well, see since this is halfway a christmas present and halfway something i'd be paying for with old gear, i'm not sure. I could probably work it out to around $500-$600 on the amp and $100-$150 on the pedal. $200 tops.

So the Vox Night Train is sounding like my first choice as of this moment. Of course, i have yet to play any of them myself, so i'll track down my top five around here and go try them out. I'll be going to Charlotte NC next week anyway, and they have tons of music stores.
Quote by Code-E

Quote by magnum1117

Quote by necrosis1193
Quote by connorhxcchaos
No. Stop it. Bad.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
tiny terror? for srv? and nice cleans?

i'd get something fendery for that. With $800 you might even be able to stretch to one of the reissues.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
UPDATE!!!

I know this thread is basically dead, but i didn't want to make a NGearD thread since i haven't got pictures for you bastards. But i ended up with a Night Train head, some random Marshall 2x12 cab, and an MI Audio Blue Boy Deluxe.

Also, i ended up buying one of those daisy chain things for my pedals, a boss tuner pedal, and i finally got a Seymour Duncan vintage whatever P-90 stuck in my Strat.
Quote by Code-E

Quote by magnum1117

Quote by necrosis1193
Quote by p o e
UPDATE!!!

I know this thread is basically dead, but i didn't want to make a NGearD thread since i haven't got pictures for you bastards. But i ended up with a Night Train head, some random Marshall 2x12 cab, and an MI Audio Blue Boy Deluxe.

Also, i ended up buying one of those daisy chain things for my pedals, a boss tuner pedal, and i finally got a Seymour Duncan vintage whatever P-90 stuck in my Strat.
How do you like it?! Congrats anyway!
Quote by AngryGoldfish
How do you like it?! Congrats anyway!

Oh, my new rig is fecking tasty. I hardly ever use my Boogie anymore. : \
Quote by Code-E

Quote by magnum1117

Quote by necrosis1193