Hey UGists,

as the title suggest, I thought it would be fun to pick everyone's brain about their favourite finishes. Oh! what Top of wood do you prefer also - flame/quilted maples, mahogony, spruce tops? Personally, I'm a sucker for a well applied Trans cherry finish w/ a flamed maple top - something about it just screams at me.

I find the sunburst on my MIM Strat is quite nice also - a classic look someone might say.

So tell me, what's your favourite finish on a guitar?? What screams "classy", "sexy", "awesome" at you??

if you can, provide pics/examples of your favourite finish!
I ordered an Ibanez SA260FM which should come soon, that has an amber sunburst which i simply fell in love with at my local guitar store. A friend of mine has some sorta les paul copy with a black quilted finish and its a beautiful guitar.
GEAR :

Ibanez SA260FM
Burswood Strat Copy
Marshall GV-2 Distortion
Crate FlexWave 120 Amp

I really like Galaxy White. It's one of the whitest finishes out there but upon closer inspection, you can see gold sparkles. I really like Blue Chameleon too and Roadster Orange Metallic too. I love how some Ibanez finishes look more like cars than guitars. Poisoned Pumpkin is great too.

Edit: I just realized that I would prefer my guitars to look like a brand new Toyota rather than an actual guitar. No bursts, flames, quilts, natural, or worn for me. Only smooth and shiny.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Nov 6, 2009,
my H-400

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
I love Carvin's finishes...

For example:
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
Last edited by no.mop at Nov 6, 2009,
Although I think these fancy finishes are pretty cool looking there is absolutely no way I'd be seen dead with one. I love either a plain old sunburst (on my Ibanez as73 semi) or even better my lovely blonde tele.

Thrench
I would kill for a Candy Apple Red strat with a maple fretboard

A Fireburst Les Paul or Honeyburst are sexy as hell

And That carvin finish is full of win.
I love that wine red one in that LTD EC1000, its so sexy. I love Eerie Dess Swirl on those usa Jacksons. And I love the trans purple on the Ibanez Egen
Panties 'round your knees
With your ass in debris
Doin' dat grind with a push and squeeze
Tied up, tied down, up against the wall
Be my rubbermade baby
An' we can do it all

My way - your way
Anything goes tonight
My favorite finish doesn't exist yet, it is an ORANGE SUNBURST! It is like electric orange but goes to yellow like on this car hood (I know, it is all orange but the left looks yellow from the lighting!) And I'm not sure if I want to add black in at the end or not, I'm still deciding!

Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
This:

Ibanez' Poison Pumpkin. The ULTIMATE super strat color.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
This:

Ibanez' Poison Pumpkin. The ULTIMATE super strat color.

Looks like a lot of us like that yellowish-orange. I can't wait to get my RG1550M
I'm a huuuge fan of See-through Purple or Green quilt tops, especially if the guitar has gold hardware...it just screams classy and elegant to me for some reason? I'm also a big fan of just a natural gloss finish, or violin brown or something to that extent. See-thru tobacco burst is also sexy.
Gear:
LTD M-207 (Soon to be modded)
B.C. Rich Bronze Mockingbird
Jay TurSuhr Vintage Strat
Takamine EG561C
Randall RG50TC

GAS:
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 MN Tribal Green
That car reminded me of this:

Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
I've read that the black SG Classics were actually more like a deep, dark translucent chocolaty-purple that looks just amazing in the right light.

I love the finish on my Heritage Cherry SG Classic, but I've always wondered about those black ones...sadly, they're no longer available.
"In Power Trios I Trust..."
Gibson SG Classic, Fender CP Jaguar Special HH, '65 RI Mustang
'65 Ampeg Gemini I G-12 Combo, Orange Tiny Terror
See thru black on a flame maple top although it's a bit hard to see in certain lighting conditions which sorta makes it suck at the same time as you have this really cool top and finish but yet you can only see it well enough in certain conditions.
It really depends on the guitar. If the body of the guitar is an exotic wood; something like rosewood, bubinga, etc, then I like a natural oil finish. If the guitar is a highly figured piece of maple, I like a stained colour, black base with either red or blue top colour. If the guitar has a crap piece of wood, I like a solid colour, and it depends on the style (Metal=black, shred=bright orange or similar, blues=red or blue, etc).
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
Quote by JELIFISH19

Looks like a lot of us like that yellowish-orange. I can't wait to get my RG1550M

god, if I had the money for one you know I'd buy that in a flash.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Pretty much anything over high grade quilted of flamed maple.

Red is one of my favs, but a PRS with tiger eye and gold hardware is f**king fantastic!

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man