I've been playing guitar for almost 3 years but I've never taken a lesson.
Now I'm tired of covering other people's songs and I wanna do my own.
I just can't ever write a good power chord riff that has the punk sound I want.
It's probably because I don't know anything about what key a song is in.

So could anyone help or give me tips?

Thanks all.
Learn a bunch of songs from a bunch of your favorite bands you'll get the idea eventually. Experiment with different chord progressions. And learn theory.
AK-47. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherfucker in the room, accept no substitutes.

Quote by RU Experienced?
It's comical because you are clearly an average to below-average bear.
Last edited by NY_FootBall49 at Nov 6, 2009,
Honestly, you can write stuff with power chords without theory, just mess around. However, theory will guide you and save you the time of figuring out what will sound good or bad. Theory is worth it in the end.
Music theory

I mean you already admitted its because you don't know what key you're in. You'll go round and round in circles unless you know what notes your working from and what your tonal center is supposed to be
THEORY!!!!!! I have been playing guitar for years. Been writing my own music and all, but could never complete a song. So I just started taking lessons about 2 months ago, and my instructor helped me refine my playing, but he also started going over some theory, which I was clueless on. What I can tell you from my limited experience so far, is that it has opened up a whole new world of ideas and etc.. Thru theory I am learning how to "tie in" parts of a song and how to finish them.
I was in your shoes about 18 months ago. Writing is so damn hard when you don't have any tools in your toolbox. It's like trying to write a novel in a language you can't speak fluently. Trust me, it's 100% worth putting in the effort to learn some theory. I've learned a lot, but I've still only scratched the surface over the past year and a half and my writing is far better than I had expected in such a short time. It's worth learning man!
Andy Fox
Hard rock guitarist
I play a Jackson DK-2 and an Ibanez RG through a Peavey 6505+ stack