I'm just beginning to learn the electric bass and I was adviced to alternate between two fingers, like 1-2-1-2-1-2, but i realised that each of my finger creates a different tone when i pluck the string with it. Is it supposed to be like that? or should i just stick with a finger and only alternating when im plucking another string?
it happens because of where each finger hits the string. unless you're going to be hitting in the same spot with both fingers (which is pointless) you'll get a slightly different tone with each.

when i play fast stuff i play with 3 fingers (index, middle, ring) and the tonal difference between my ring and my index is quite noticeable even from a listeners standpoint, but whatever.
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
Well my point was, should I keep playing with 2 fingers a string or assigned only a finger on one string at a time?
Yes, play with two fingers. That's how every bass player does it. It's not going to sound any different playing with two fingers on one string. If you use one finger it will cut your speed in half. I don't get why your so worried about the exact tone your bass has if your just learning how to play. It's not that important.
when you are going faster, it doesn't matter as much, when I play fast I don't use just one, but for a slower passage, I prefer to use just one for that very reason.

I used to use my finger like a pick, but it kept making string skipping difficult so I stopped.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Claypool5667
Yes, play with two fingers. That's how every bass player does it. It's not going to sound any different playing with two fingers on one string. If you use one finger it will cut your speed in half. I don't get why your so worried about the exact tone your bass has if your just learning how to play. It's not that important.

Not every bass player plays with 2.Theres alot that play with 3.There is people that play with just 1.You dont have to play with 2 because people tell you to, play with however many you want.Whatever feels comfortable.
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble