Im thinking of buying a jcm800 but im a complete novice when it comes to amps so i just have a few questions:

1. What does the presence nob in the eq do?
2. Would i have to use a dist. pedal with this to get metal tones like metallica?
3. Is a half stack any good if im just playing small gigs or would i be better off with the 50w combo?
4. How much, roughly, would a half stack used cost?

Thanks a lot!!!
1 It kind of adds super highs. Headroom. Its kinda nice to have, cos I like extreme treble. which is why I got the 800
2 Not really. They don't use masses of distortion so the pre amp gain would be fine, but thats just my experience with the 4210
3 TBH a epiphone valve jr would be fine for most small gigs. You wont be able to really overdrive the tubes at a small gig with the 100 or the 50, but the 100 has more headroom. A stack would be overkill and too dear...
4 Idk
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Les Paul Copy
AX Copy
Ibanez Gio

JCM 800 4211

Vox 847
Marshall Guv'nor 2

Need more amps!
The Presence knob on your amplifier boosts the high frequencies of your amplifier. Would you have to use a high-gain distortion pedal to get a Metallica tone? Possibly. The JCM 800 series is a great amplifier with plenty of gain, but it might not get you as much gain as some of the over-the-top tones you find in today's metal. It should still have enough..it is, after all, an all valve Marshall amplifier.

The half stack is a better option if you can handle the price because a separate head and cabinet setup allows you a great deal of versatility. Still, for smaller gigs, a 50-watt combo version should be fine. Bigger is usually better because you can always turn a big rig down, but you can't always turn a small rig up.

As for how much these amplifiers would cost on the used market in Ireland, I can't say.
Quote by GuitarGetsMeSex
1 It kind of adds super highs. Headroom. Its kinda nice to have, cos I like extreme treble. which is why I got the 800
2 Not really. They don't use masses of distortion so the pre amp gain would be fine, but thats just my experience with the 4210
3 TBH a epiphone valve jr would be fine for most small gigs. You wont be able to really overdrive the tubes at a small gig with the 100 or the 50, but the 100 has more headroom. A stack would be overkill and too dear...
4 Idk

Thanks.. if i was to buy a 100watt head count i use it without a cabinet or would it sound bad?
Nah. Although I think you could get a 1/4 stack? just two speakers. Combos are way practical though. And you can hook it up to a cab if you need to. I would say a combo 100watt. The 4210 is awesome
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Les Paul Copy
AX Copy
Ibanez Gio

JCM 800 4211

Vox 847
Marshall Guv'nor 2

Need more amps!
Quote by FatalGear41
The half stack is a better option if you can handle the price because a separate head and cabinet setup allows you a great deal of versatility. Still, for smaller gigs, a 50-watt combo version should be fine. Bigger is usually better because you can always turn a big rig down, but you can't always turn a small rig up.

As for how much these amplifiers would cost on the used market in Ireland, I can't say.
If I read your comment correctly, you are saying that a higher wattage amp would be louder then a smaller wattage amp. You do know that a 50 watt head is practically the same in terms of volume as a 100 watt head?

Watts really doesn't mean volume, it means headroom. Generally, if you're a metal player, you want more headroom, so I'd suggest the 100 watt head, with a Vader/Mesa/Avatar Cabinet.

Quote by andrewphanley
Thanks.. if i was to buy a 100watt head count i use it without a cabinet or would it sound bad?
No. Whenever you use a head, you have to use it with a cabinet. If you use the head without a cabinet, you will damage your amp.

And by the way, if you find that the amp doesn't have enough gain, don't get a distortion pedal. Get a overdrive pedal, like a Ibanez Tube Screamer and boost the amp to get more gain.
Last edited by DIMEBAGLIVEDON at Nov 6, 2009,
Dimebaglivedon just saved me allot of typing time. Personally I use a 100watt JCM900 however it has a switch that lets me choose between running it at 100watts or 50watts......I have never run it at 100watts at any gig. And on top of that, even running it at 50 watts I never need to turn the volume knob passed 6 or 7. So if it's volume you are concerned about, dont be.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Unlike the JCM900s, the 800s are good old all tube (except for the ones that have an effects loop - the loop is solid state) with no stages made just for overdrive. The only way to get it dirty is to open it up, or to hit the input very hard. The former = WTFL. The latter = no way to get a loud clean as well as a loud dirty.

I recently did a three band gig. The headliner - veteran players - had a Mesa half stack + a Marshall half stack, and a pair of Marshall combos (way more volume than was sensible, even after turning down). The tones were nothing special at all. The middle act - college age - had a Marshall combo. Reasonable volume and passable tones. The opener (high schoolers) had a crappy Fender solid state combo driven by a Zoom digital pedal of some sort. The volume was well under control, and the tone was monsterous - the kid put the other guys to shame.
everyone has answer correctly except one thing.

the "presence" knob does NOT boost "high highs". it actually boosts high mids (like 1khz to 1800khz) which helps you cut through and gives you more "presence" in a mix hence the naem.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by TimmyP
The opener (high schoolers) had a crappy Fender solid state combo driven by a Zoom digital pedal of some sort. The volume was well under control, and the tone was monsterous - the kid put the other guys to shame.

I likes me some 800ness

I have a fancy list hold please:

2203 = 100 watt single channel
2204 = 50 watt single channel
2205 = 100 watt double channel (addition of diodes)
2210 = 50 watt double channel (addition of diodes)

Brett - is that right?
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Nov 6, 2009,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

I likes me some 800ness

I have a fancy list hold please:

2205 = 100 watt double channel (addition of diodes)
2210 = 50 watt double channel (addition of diodes)

Brett - is that right?

Yeah that's right.

Do NOT let the diode's scare you off though. a 2205 was one of the best 800's I ever played.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
modified

2205 = 100 watt 2 channel (diode boost)
2210 = 50 watt 2 channel (diode boost)

2203KK is a heavily modded jcm800 with a build in eq section to mimic the MXR 10 band at kerry boosts his amps with. Also gave it kt88's to give more low end. No?
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
If I read your comment correctly, you are saying that a higher wattage amp would be louder then a smaller wattage amp. You do know that a 50 watt head is practically the same in terms of volume as a 100 watt head?

This is a common misunderstanding. A 50-watt amplifier is capable of producing nearly the same decibel level as a 100-watt amplifier. That is true. But the perceived volume is considerably different. If you want proof, take a 50-watt non-master volume amp head and an otherwise identical 100-watt amp head and run them through the same cabinet in a side-by-side comparison. The 100-watt head will be noticeably louder. It will not produce twice the decibel level as the 50-watt head (the increase will be three decibels at maximum volume), but you will hear a considerable difference in volume.
Quote by Bostonrocks
everyone has answer correctly except one thing.

the "presence" knob does NOT boost "high highs". it actually boosts high mids (like 1khz to 1800khz) which helps you cut through and gives you more "presence" in a mix hence the naem.

thankyou, those earlier posts were beginning to make my head spin, except i think you left off a decible point before the 8. 18khz is exreme highs, and i doubt there's a creature alive on earth that could hear 1800khz. just want to make sure no one's confused.

i.e. 1khz-->1.8khz (though i believe it reaches a bit higher than that... into the 3.1khz range. could be mistaken though as to the specifics of the 800).
The 2205/2210s I've played have all been a a bit more compressed sounding than the 2203/2204s, but they sound fantastic none the less, and the benefit of an effects loop is tremendous, the extra channel not so much, you should just be using the volume on your guitar.

FYI, JCM800s aren't gain monsters on their own, the moment you boost them though, they have arguably one of the best Brit voiced high gain sounds. Regrettably guitarist like Kerry King play them -.- Please don't scoop the mids on your 800, it's what gives them their clear articulate lead tone.

As to this pointless decibel argument, No, 100watt tube amp is not twice as loud as a 50watt, but the decibel scale isn't linear, it's logarithmic. http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/dB.html twice the volume results in 3 decibels (from the respective reference point) -.- the human ear works in a similar fashion, it's what the decibel scale was based off.

As for the argument against the half stack, it's your choice, yes, I'll admit, they're impractical, but they offer a closed back and greater mass to resonate, resulting in a tighter bass response (as long as they're not sitting directly on the floor, to break the resonant bond)
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Last edited by R.D at Nov 7, 2009,
Quote by TimmyP
Unlike the JCM900s, the 800s are good old all tube

Sorry, I didn't realize those 4 glowing tube shaped pieces of glass in my 900 weren't valves. My mistake.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Quote by R.D

FYI, JCM800s aren't gain monsters on their own, the moment you boost them though, they have arguably one of the best Brit voiced high gain sounds. Regrettably guitarist like Kerry King play them -.- Please don't scoop the mids on your 800, it's what gives them their clear articulate lead tone.

You're not saying Kerry King scoops his mids are you?
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Les Paul Copy
AX Copy
Ibanez Gio

JCM 800 4211

Vox 847
Marshall Guv'nor 2

Need more amps!