looking for a new guitar for standard and drop d, ibanez preferably as its most versatile for rock and metal imo really looking to spend £250 any suggestions
Gear:
ESP ltd MH-1000
Jackson DK2T
Bugera 6262-212
Roland Cube 30X

I Was at Download 07/08/09/10 Because I'm not a Cheap Bastard and I'm Damn Proud!
Ibanez XP300FX.
its at the price your after.

I got a xiphos when they only had the £600 version XPT700 i think. but now they make cheaper wood, bolt on neck versions.
Mine is very versitile, but I haven't played on the cheaper versions. does rock well, metal is exeptional and the killer looks will get you noticed.

http://www.guitar.co.uk/guitars/electric/2388-xp300fx_xiphos_electric_guitar

have fun
well i mainly play a lot of metal say parkway drive, kse, august burns red but i have a jackson tuned in drop b or drop c for that

i kinda want to get out of the habbit of chugging and improve on my technique with songs from joe satriani and other not so heavy bands (cant really specify) so a new guitar i can keep in standard or drop d will work well, i was looking at the RG321EX?
Gear:
ESP ltd MH-1000
Jackson DK2T
Bugera 6262-212
Roland Cube 30X

I Was at Download 07/08/09/10 Because I'm not a Cheap Bastard and I'm Damn Proud!
its not too bad, although its being a bit all out metal. I thought you said you wanted versitility?

either way you will find yourself playing faster on an ibanez neck
RG, sure why not? or the budget Xiphos. Key is to stay away from Floyd Roses since you want drop D and standard. Both guitars will give that to you; probably not much difference between them other than the shape.
opininions on the RG350DX/EX? obviously it would stay in standard i wouldnt abuse the edge III much, could this be reliable?
Gear:
ESP ltd MH-1000
Jackson DK2T
Bugera 6262-212
Roland Cube 30X

I've had a Xiphos XPT700 with the Edge III for almost a year now and given it whammy abuse on a daily basis. + it was a floor model for who knows how long; they didn't keep the bar on it all the time, but they'd give it to you if you asked.

It's doing just fine. It's only been tuned twice since I've owned it--just for string changes.

The wizard II neck is the same, although the RG's is a bolt on. Basswood tone will be a litter darker than alder, but brighter than the Xiphos' mahogany.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
Ibanez RGR321EX? http://guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=07061112351828 Just slightly over budget though.

yeah thats what i looked at originally but since trying it out dont really like the neck on it and its a bit too metal for what i want, trying to find some versatility
Gear:
ESP ltd MH-1000
Jackson DK2T
Bugera 6262-212
Roland Cube 30X

Cort X-2 or one of their G series Strats. If you can stretch a little bit their KX-5 is great. Maybe a TC Ellis explorer if you can handle the shape. Great value. Or there's the old classic Vintage V100 Les Paul.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Syn_66
yeah thats what i looked at originally but since trying it out dont really like the neck on it and its a bit too metal for what i want, trying to find some versatility

Don't like the neck? What was wrong with the neck? It's a Wizard II, so I would think it would be the same as any other Wizard II, but I'm interested in learning about what differences I might have missed among different Ibanez models.

It's a reverse headstock and it has white binding--is that what makes it "too metal" or would it be the passive EMGs?

Of course, it doesn't have a trem, so that cuts down on versatility for what you can do with it, although it does offer more versatility regarding changing your tunings.

What specifically do you mean when you refer to versatility?
Quote by jetwash69
Don't like the neck? What was wrong with the neck? It's a Wizard II, so I would think it would be the same as any other Wizard II, but I'm interested in learning about what differences I might have missed among different Ibanez models.

It's a reverse headstock and it has white binding--is that what makes it "too metal" or would it be the passive EMGs?

Of course, it doesn't have a trem, so that cuts down on versatility for what you can do with it, although it does offer more versatility regarding changing your tunings.

What specifically do you mean when you refer to versatility?

well i actually played the 7 string version and the wood just felt cheap maybe i should try and find the exact model?

As for the versatility i was refering to the pickups more than anything i just dont think they will work too well for satriani/vai and other less agressive bands?

Trem wise im not too fussed i can live without it though it would be nice! the difficulty is finding a reliable trem in my price range

EDIT: im thinking along the lines of RG350MDX
Gear:
ESP ltd MH-1000
Jackson DK2T
Bugera 6262-212
Roland Cube 30X

Last edited by Syn_66 at Nov 8, 2009,
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
yeah - you do want an Ibanez neck then. RG - the xiphos might get a bit uncomfortable for ultra fast shred

Oli herbert from All That Remains manages just fine ;D
^^ he does indeed and as amazing as he is im trying to steer away from metal for the moment
Gear:
ESP ltd MH-1000
Jackson DK2T
Bugera 6262-212
Roland Cube 30X

RG350MDX, sweet! Maple neck and black shark teeth look awesome and no silly binding

I can see how HSH would be a little more versatile than HH, although it's easy to shunt coils (a.k.a. coil split/tap) on most HHs. This one shunts the buckers in positions 2 & 4, but you still get a bucker effect since they mix in the center pup with those positions. Of course, you could add a kill switch for the center pup to get around that.

If you got the Xiphos there'd be no worries about how the wood "feels" since the neck is painted. Just keep it polished and there's no issues. Of course the shape is a lot more aggressive, but even any RG will be more aggressive than a true Strat shape because the horns are so pointy.

You can get a lot closer to the Strat shape and keep 24 frets with a Jackson DNKY or an ESP LTD MH.