i was wondering if i can use DAW software on my PC. i know that it's usually geared towards macs, but i just wanted to know what i can do.
Just about all the software with the exception of Logic Audio and Garageband are available on PC. Audacity, http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ is available for free. The rest are going to cost. I've tried lots of them over the years, my friend was a nut who bought everything when it came out. I've never been impressed by Sonar from Cakewalk, I could never get the hang of mixing and the menus. Cubase and Nuendo are/were my favorites. I've been playing around Adobe Audition lately though and I like it. It takes a lot less resources on my pc than Cubase or Nuendo ever did. There are tons of free plugins out there to use too.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
Audacity is useful, but not really a DAW. I'm fond of Reaper, but I'm sure you can get better than that if you're willing to spend money or pirate (unlike me).
nope

get reaper.
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
can you rewire reason 4 through reaper?
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Personally, I'd stump up the cash for Sonar Home Studio or better.

I can't stand working with Reaper, ambitious as it may be. And don't forget, if you haven't paid Reaper's $60 license fee after 30 days, you are JUST as much of a pirate as anyone who got their software from a pirate site.
Last edited by kyle62 at Nov 7, 2009,
Audacity blows, get Reaper if you don't have any money. Otherwise, I like Cubase a lot, it's very similar to Reaper.

Quote by kyle62
And don't forget, if you haven't paid Reaper's $60 license fee after 30 days, you are JUST as much of a pirate as anyone who got their software from a pirate site.

How so...?

They only "suggest" you pay for it. If the software doesn't stop working after the trial period, it's the company's own damn fault that people aren't paying for it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Audacity blows, get Reaper if you don't have any money. Otherwise, I like Cubase a lot, it's very similar to Reaper.

How so...?

They only "suggest" you pay for it. If the software doesn't stop working after the trial period, it's the company's own damn fault that people aren't paying for it.

If after 30 days you decide that REAPER is not for you, simply delete it.

If you decide that REAPER is for you, you must purchase a license.

Either way, the only real difference between using it without a license and using, say, a cracked version of Cubase is that Cockos have not implemented any kind of anti-piracy measure, and have given you the installer themselves.

I can actually see Cockos implementing the 'pay what you want' model at some point in the future; I'd estimate about 90% of Reaper users haven't bothered to buy a license anyway so it certainly wouldn't do them any harm!

Whichever way you look at it, Reaper is an incredibly capable program for $60.
Am I the only one that loves Adobe Audition?
1979 Gibson Les Paul Silverburst
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
Quote by AxSilentxLine
reaper and ableton ftw

Ah ableton! Best DAW ever. Took me months to figure it out but once I did, my life changed for the better. Incredible program, I even purchased the full version of Live 8.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by theraven871
Am I the only one that loves Adobe Audition?

Nope, I'm leaning towards it over Nuendo which I've used for years. I've been playing with the demo and it seems to use a lot less resources, cheaper than getting the newer Nuendo since mine is a bit old. It also works with my Tascam US-428 usb mixer as a digital control surface, so I can control Audtion with all the faders and transport controls.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
Seriously guys, why didnt anyone mention studion one by presonus? Youre obviusly a beginner, so youre probably looking for the easiest interface, and Studio one really helped me in the beginning. Check it out on youtube .
the mixer on studio 1 is all there is to talk about, tbh i see studio one as more of a finalizer for finishing up a cd its really easy to make the songs flow into eachother

that program can't edit to save its ****ing life/

plus all of it is just backwards even more than reaper which i love alot

but all the tools are not needed for that daw