I did a volume mod to my Mesa DC-5 combo and i put it back together. Im positive i did the mod right, it's just one resistor. I put it back together, and forgot to plug in some transformer (dunno which one, it was the smaller one) when i fired it up nothing came out.

When i realized i forgot to plug that thing in, i did. I didnt hear anything when i turned the amp on. I turned the volume ALL THE WAY up, and i could hear my playing extremely distorted and very low volume, but it was there. I heard this is called crossover distortion or something. Anyway, whats wrong with it?

I suspect power tubes. I have with me right now a set of brand new JJ 6L6GC's that i can pop in and try, but i dont wanna do it if they'll just get blown as soon as i turn it on.

I have to leave for an hour, but is it ok to replace the powertubes and itll be fine?

thanks
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Congrats dude. I kinda want a BJ too 'cause I like them so much. I'll check your clipz later.

nah

no $$$
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Congrats dude. I kinda want a BJ too 'cause I like them so much. I'll check your clipz later.

just fired it up with the bad tubes in it. no sound. i turned the volume up and when i hit five BOOM! Smoke comes out like mad and a buzzing sound of the speakers. Quickly I shut it off.

I turn around to survey the damage, i cant tell where the smoke is coming from.

I checked the power and output transformers - they're both cold. Good sign. I tough the power tubes. Hot.

Then i opened the amp from above to look inside, everythings OK. No blown capacitors or anything bad.

So it would seem the tubes have actually "BLOWN" (they didnt before).

Do i dare pop in the new 6l6 and test my luck? I hope im right.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Popped in the JJ's, turned it on standy. It was really hard to turn it on because i didnt want to if it exploded hahhaah.

But i did it very fast so i wouldnt think about it.

Success! all the tubes light up in the back. Now what happens when i take it off standby.. Here we go..
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

IT WORKS! IT WORKS!

Thank you ladies and gentlemen.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Quote by injected
IT WORKS! IT WORKS!

Thank you ladies and gentlemen.
Why are you thanking us?

We didn't even help you :P
Dunno, it felt like UG was holding my hand

or watching over me as i did it
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Didnt you see what i posted after? the power tubes ASPLODED. I popped in the jj's and it works great now.

It's a damn noisy amp though.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

ah, well, it smelled like a strange burned rubber, hard to describe.. funny thing is, the tubes look exactly the same as they did when they were working. i cant tell theyre blown..

i dont like taking it to a tech.. im a diy kind of person
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

^If that is the case then I would ask a mod to move this th GBnC.

burned rubber sounds like a burned wire which is not good. (I'm not an amp tech)

Just because your tubes look the same shouldn't be the reason to not worry. Do you know what a filter cap is?

just sayin
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Nov 6, 2009,
Glad you fixed it! You might wanna take it to a tech though just to have it inspected for safety.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.