#1
How is it possible that I could be electrocuted by my guitar? All 6 strings touching my hand and ZAAP. It kinda hurt alot. Too much jamming? lol
#2
more likely it;s the amp or the house outlet. it's nothing to mess around with.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.


Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
#3
Poor shielding and grounding in the electronics. The same reason you'd get shocked by anything else.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.


Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
#4
Maybe so. If thats the case ill have to take it to the ol guitar shop. I did forget to mention, when I had my left hand over the strings, I went to turn on my desk lamp for more light. The swich is metal so could it be static electricity? Idk
#5
right but. if the guitar isnt grounded you arent going to get hurt, just a humming noise.

if the guitar isnt grounded AND the amp isnt working correctly, or the outlet is faulty, then you can get shocked.

and yea, i have a metal stool that when used while playing, i get static shocks.
so make sure you're not touching that lamp.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.


Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
#6
one time me and my friend were jamming and he dropped his pick, so he went to pick it up and his loose string end went into the outlet. sparks went everywhere. luckily he wasn't touching the strings so he didn't get shocked. but it made a pretty good light show
#7
Now im afraid to turn on my guitar Bummer too because I play it like everyday.
#8
well, plug it into a different outlet.

wear sneakers.

does the amps plug have 2 or 3 prongs?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.


Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
#10
It happens. Did you touch anything else?

I got a real good Zap once on stage. I was playing and when I went to sing in the mic my lips touched the screen and I lit up. I had a nasty blister on my lower lip for a week! It was caused by a bad ground.


John
#11
Quote by QAZAR
one time me and my friend were jamming and he dropped his pick, so he went to pick it up and his loose string end went into the outlet. sparks went everywhere. luckily he wasn't touching the strings so he didn't get shocked. but it made a pretty good light show


Well while I'm here and want to type quickly I once read that someone was going to plug his new "Electric guitar" Into the wall without an amp. He had this cable he made... Luckily for him, His dad caught him before he plugged it in. "Uh, you need an amp for that, son" NEVER DO THIS OK!!!
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
#12
well the amps got 3 prongs. i say dont touch the lamp. wear sneaks. and practice as usual.

maybe move the amp to a different outlet.

ive been zapped before on stage, i was touching an amp and a walking across some mic wires.

yeah, you know, just be careful. if it happens again, go get the amp looked at.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.


Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
#13
Ok thx. Yea I think my problem is the same as John. Not properly grounded so when touched something else metal, I got zapped.
#15
yah u think thats bad.lol try getting shocked by a mic when singing into it. that will wake you up...lol ive had it happen.. nearly fried my brain...lol
#16
Anyone remember that guitar that was struck by lightning? Yeah, You got it easy!
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
#18
It was a rock god. It means you are the chosen one! The one who will create a new form of rock music in the new decade that will overthrow the generic pop music the has plague our lives!
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
#19
My, what a shocking story!

Id avoid that lamp if I were you, along with most other metal things that have a current running through or near them while holding your guitar. And wear sneakers or boots while playing.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
#20
my friends cabbage head mic always shocked the hell out of him. yeah man, wear sneakers, and dont stick forks in outlets. that will only make it worse.


7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

#21
Quote by SYLrules88
my friends cabbage head mic always shocked the hell out of him. yeah man, wear sneakers, and dont stick forks in outlets. that will only make it worse.



our team pays your team millions of dollars in luxury tax every year.
it's not our fault that your owner decides to pocket the money instead of
investing it in his team.
george bought them for nothing and made them what they are now.

oh and ts, sorry, but i hope i already answered your question. his sig had to be addressed.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.


Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
#22
Quote by SYLrules88
my friends cabbage head mic always shocked the hell out of him. yeah man, wear sneakers, and dont stick forks in outlets. that will only make it worse.


Microphone shocks on stage are actually pretty common. That's one of the reasons they make those foam covers for them, and why those covers are so cheap. And yes, you can get a hell of a shock from your guitar if your amplifier isn't properly grounded.
#23
The feeling that you get from being electrocuted by your guitar if a feeling that you simply cant describe. Kinda feels hot but then again its not :P
#24
the same shit happened to me. my guitar used to just have a slight buzz through the strings, no big deal I thought. but then just the other day I was playing and in a split second I went from hunched over the guitar to sitting up completely straight and for like 15 seconds I was like wtf just happened? then I felt tightness in my chest and buzzing in my fingers, then I was like holy shit and sat it down as fast as possible, been afraid to plug it in since lol
#25
We used to get shocked all the time by the mikes when we walked up to the PA system. For in those days, Grounding had not yet been invented. Same thing happened when the bass and guitar players had their floppy string ends touch. I eventually gifted each of them with a pair of dikes and told them that henceforth any floppy string ends would find a new home in their transverse colon.
#26
If you were electrocuted you would not be able to post this thread as you'd be dead.


My old peavey PA used to shock me regularly, but damn it was loud.
Quote by CodChick


Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
#27
More necrobumping.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.