Can this be done? Ive always wanted an UFB but can't afford a new one right now.

I have a lined fretless vintage bass (that I don't think has too much of a resale value) and I was wondering whether I could just 'convert' that to a UF.

Any ideas?
sand them out? maybe. depends how deep the lines are. otherwise you'd probably either need a new fretboard or new neck altogether :P
Quote by prodcake
sand them out? maybe. depends how deep the lines are. otherwise you'd probably either need a new fretboard or new neck altogether :P

I'm tempted to see an actual luthier about seperating the main piece of the neck from the fingerboard layer and putting on a new one.
New fretboard necessary. That'd be the cheapest way to go.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
I've never done it personally, but a new neck is about 300, so I'd venture a guess at about half that, somewhere in that vicinity.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by Ippon

Kinda related, my Ibanez fretless.

Would "ebonizing" work? StewMac sells an ebonizing kit but you can buy it at leather or equestrian shops or online: Fiebing's Oil Leather Dye (Ebony).

Defretted or stock fretless? I leiks it.
I am me. Live with it.
Quote by Ippon
Stock neck! Note the pointy headstock. It's a discontinued RD707F.

Very nice. I think I'll stick to the one I built. It came with battle scars because I'm a shocking woodworker.
I am me. Live with it.