Hey UG

This summer I was given a Gibson "The Paul" by a close family friend, something I am very happy about - Not everyone gets vintage guitars just like that.

Now I've played it for a while and realised that a few things need to be changed, one of those is the pickups - 25 years in a garage hasn't been nice on them and they are rusty and sound muddy, also the sustain is very bad.

So I'm thinking of buying the beauty a new set of pickups, and I was wondering what you guys are recommending? I have never switched pickups on a guitar before, so go easy on me
Wiie
well what do you play, and dont get rid of the pickups in case you want to sell it
amps
Vox Ac 30 (main)
Fender Supersonic with Krank Krankenstien 4x12
OR 50 with 4 x 12
Gassing for ibanes airplane flanger
the electronics like the pots and that probably need to be changed or at least get a good clean then maybe see if you like the pickups or not.

otherwise we need to know what sort of sound your after and how much you want to spend to actually help you.
Personally, I love how a JB/59 set sounds in a Paul, but that's me. Outside of that, I pretty much swear by DiMarzio Evolutions.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
I play heavier music, but I want something that I can play clean stuff on aswell as heavily distorted things, pinch harmonics (and harmonics in general) are things I love to throw in in my playing. I guess I can spend about 250$ on each pickup.
Wiie
Quote by Vixtor
I play heavier music, but I want something that I can play clean stuff on aswell as heavily distorted things, pinch harmonics (and harmonics in general) are things I love to throw in in my playing. I guess I can spend about 250$ on each pickup.

What? Why would you spend $500 on a pair of pickups. The best pickups around for heavy music EMG's and Duncans have there best pickups for like $90. Does yous guitar have active pickups.

Seymour Duncan Blackouts
EMG 81 85
EMG 81 60
EMG x 81 85
EMG x 81 60

All those pickups have high output and strong harmonic properties.
AK-47. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherfucker in the room, accept no substitutes.

Quote by RU Experienced?
It's comical because you are clearly an average to below-average bear.
Last edited by NY_FootBall49 at Nov 6, 2009,
I have no idea what pickups cost, so I just said how much money I could spare
the guitar currently has the original coil humbucker pickups, to be honest I'm not sure if they are active or not.
Wiie
Active pickups= battery in the back cavity.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
you want to take a vintage les paul and destroy its allure and tone by sticking in high gain/output pickups for heavily distorted and pinch harmonics?

not all guitars are perfect for all types of playing, particularly old and weathered vintage guitars like this.

TBH, results would be much better if you chose pickups which highlight the intended sound of 70's Les Pauls, warm and creamy bluesy lines with some crunch for dirty riffs.
Guitar - The true Religion
In that case, no, since I didn't need to change the batteries after I got it (it had been lying in a garage for 25 years, as previously mentioned.)
Wiie
Quote by AusMetal33
you want to take a vintage les paul and destroy its allure and tone by sticking in high gain/output pickups for heavily distorted and pinch harmonics?

not all guitars are perfect for all types of playing, particularly old and weathered vintage guitars like this.

TBH, results would be much better if you chose pickups which highlight the intended sound of 70's Les Pauls, warm and creamy bluesy lines with some crunch for dirty riffs.

Allure is subjective. To some people, girls so skinny their pelvis bones stick out of their hips in sleazy clothing is alluring.

This guy might not like the idea of a creamy 70s tone, but love how the guitar plays and feels. If he got the right amp in conjunction with good pickups for what he wants, he could get a tone that was just fine for his wants, I think.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by AusMetal33

its his guitar and he can do whatever he likes with it. i have seen plenty of people play metal with a les paul.
It -is- my guitar, but I appreciate all opinions about what I should do, in fact, I had never considered the fact that I maybe should buy pickups to give the guitar it's "original" sound.
However, I don't think I will be happy with a guitar that only plays clean and/or crunchy things, I'm into distortion and I don't want to spend money on pickups designed for music I'm not going to play
Wiie
A set of PAF based pickups are fine for everything and excel at blues to hard rock. If I were you, I'd check out Bare Knuckle Mules. Also change the pots.
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Quote by joe_k
its his guitar and he can do whatever he likes with it. i have seen plenty of people play metal with a les paul.

with a vintage les paul?
Guitar - The true Religion
Quote by AusMetal33
with a vintage les paul?

why couldn't you use it? its a quality build, quality wood and it probably feels awsome and worn in to play. sticking a set of high gain pups in a mahogany guitar with that sort of build quality would sound great. maybe not what the guitar was designed for but great none the less. whats the point of letting a great guitar go to waste by letting it sit in the closet again because he doesn't like lower gain stuff.
Quote by Vixtor
It -is- my guitar, but I appreciate all opinions about what I should do, in fact, I had never considered the fact that I maybe should buy pickups to give the guitar it's "original" sound.
However, I don't think I will be happy with a guitar that only plays clean and/or crunchy things, I'm into distortion and I don't want to spend money on pickups designed for music I'm not going to play

Ok. So I'm going to suggest a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge with a Seymour Duncan SH-2 Jazz in neck. This setup will retain the vintage Les Paul tone while enabling you to attain a strong metal tone. The key to getting a good tone for heavier music isn't so much about your pick ups as it is your amp. With the JB in the bridge, any amp that is made to play metal, will get you that metal tone.

The best example of heavy tones from a JB I can think of is Lamb of God.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVeKmxIbSOs
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Quote by AusMetal33
with a vintage les paul?

Recognize this 1976 LP Custom?
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
^Neither does the one this thread is about I think.
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
the paul is definately not a vintage guitar. if it was bought when they first came out then it would be from 1979. its not a les paul either. it is a solid guitar though.
I always think Irongear pickups first. I'd strongly consider a pair of Rolling Mill, maybe with an overwound for the bridge if you want a bit of extra crunch. at £25 each you can't go far wrong and everyone I know who uses the Irongear 'buckers, swears they are every bit as good as Bareknuckles but at a quarter the price.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Check out irongear pickups, only 25 pounds per pickup. even with shipping, its cheaper than seymour duncans. an irongear rolling mill in the neck and a hot slag in the bridge should be good for u. if u want a hotter neck pickup, go with the hot slag in the neck and the bridge.
http://www.irongear.co.uk/irongear_032.htm

if u are really willing to spend a lot of money on pickups, chekc out bareknuckles pickups. mules in neck and nailbomb in bridge.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt