Ok guys, so I will be trying to buy a 6505+ and a 2x12 Mesa Cab as soon as I can. I play Metalcore (KSE, PWD, ABR)
Which pedals do I get with it?
I wanted
A Distortion pedal
A Delay Pedal
Is there any other pedal I need ?

No need for a chorus pedal as I don't use cleans that much
Last edited by Aditya_ram at Nov 6, 2009,
won't need a distortion pedal.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
EQ is a safe bet.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
So what will I need? And which brand should I buy ?
P.S : Is Distortion Pedal the same as Overdrive pedal ? :P
you don't really need any pedals. get whichever ones you want/like.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Maybe a chorus, an overdrive, and a delay. The Ibanez CS-9 and TS-9 are pretty good chorus and overdrive pedals. and i personally like the Boss DD-7 for a delay.
od & distortion are the same thing and the 6505+ has very good distortion, that's what it's known for

for pedals I'd suggest an eq pedal like the MRX 10 Band EQ but really it's all up to you for pedals
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
I'd go with a compressor/sustainer pedal....I like the Keeley one if you have the budget.
PRS SAS or Gibson LP Standard+
Teese WOF->Analogman Sunlion->Dr. Scientist Elements->Foxrox Aquavibe->Strymon Timeline->Eventide Space
Mesa RoadKing II and 2 Vox AC15s run in stereo
Quote by justinb904
od & distortion are the same thing and the 6505+ has very good distortion, that's what it's known for

for pedals I'd suggest an eq pedal like the MRX 10 Band EQ but really it's all up to you for pedals

No overdrive and distortion are not the same thing

As suprising as it sounds, a distortion pedal will Distort your sound, boosting certain parts of your EQ and piling on gain

Picture an overdrive pedal like a boost with a tube amplifier, it drives the tubes that little bit more giving piercing clarity and cut to really make your sound stand out, which is why they are often used for solos (zakk wylde)
Guitar - The true Religion
Quote by AusMetal33

As suprising as it sounds, a distortion pedal will Distort your sound, boosting certain parts of your EQ and piling on gain

Picture an overdrive pedal like a boost with a tube amplifier, it drives the tubes that little bit more giving piercing clarity and cut to really make your sound stand out, which is why they are often used for solos (zakk wylde)

Yes I know this, but for what ts was asking I gave a much more simplified answer for the guitarist term overdrive which was what I believed he was talking about.

When most guitarist mention overdrive, as you might know, they are usually referring to the "low gain" distortion produced from mild overdriveing, not the process raising the gain level of the sound wave so it clips when being amplified through the tube.
Unless you're in GB&C then overdrive really means the clipping of the sound wave as it should.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Nov 6, 2009,
Quote by Aditya_ram
Ok guys, so I will be trying to buy a 6505+ and a 2x12 Mesa Cab as soon as I can. I play Metalcore (KSE, PWD, ABR)
Which pedals do I get with it?
I wanted
A Distortion pedal
A Delay Pedal
Is there any other pedal I need ?

No need for a chorus pedal as I don't use cleans that much

Just out of curiosity, where in Bombay do they have a 6505+ ?

I think all you'll need are a delay and possibly an EQ.
For the delay, maybe a Memory boy (if you want analog), or something Boss/Line 6 if you want more versatility.

EQ = MXR.
Quote by AusMetal33

As pretty as this sounds, no.

Distortion = overdrive with more clipping.
Quote by The_Bosstone

+1

And just for the record you don't always use an overdrive pedal to drive a tube amp harder. i use a clean boost to drive my amp harder and i use a nice overdrive pedal as well, an overdrive pedal.
Quote by unet
Just out of curiosity, where in Bombay do they have a 6505+ ?

I think all you'll need are a delay and possibly an EQ.
For the delay, maybe a Memory boy (if you want analog), or something Boss/Line 6 if you want more versatility.

EQ = MXR.

you dont get the 6505+ in Bombay. All you get here are Laney Tubes. I will probably pick up the 6505+ from the USA
see how your amps sounds by itself first get a feel for it, then go form there soo you have a better idea of what you'll need/want. id say boss ns-2, ibanez ts-9 or maxon od808. alot of people also run bbe sonic maximizers through the amps loop, but alot of people also hate them. and yeah also look into eq pedals, they can play a big roll in your tone.
i like the suggestions for EQ, and i've heard phenominal results with a sonic maximizer on several 6505's... a good gate might be in order if you plan on diming the gain.

you specifically asked about delay, so let me ask you this, what kind of delay sound are you going for? something lush and ambient, or something very noticable and perhaps faster repeats?

and a big +1 to budget.
Quote by GrisKy

you specifically asked about delay, so let me ask you this, what kind of delay sound are you going for? something lush and ambient, or something very noticable and perhaps faster repeats?

From his, styles, id take a guess at a delay for solos.

Quote by Aditya_ram
you dont get the 6505+ in Bombay. All you get here are Laney Tubes. I will probably pick up the 6505+ from the USA

So you haven't tried it anywhere here?

Dammit!
I was hoping to get my hands on one.
in that case i'd say go with an analog delay, but i'll reserve making any specific suggestions until we see a budget.
Budget isn't really fixed. I dont mind anything as long as its reasonable priced. Like I wold want to spend 250$ on a delay pedal. Maybe 100-150$? and i would use the delay for solos and lead bits. I love the lush/ambient tone too btw.
EHX memory toy is a true bypass analog delay that comes in at $80

maybe also take a look at Ibanez's AD9 and ModTone's MT-AD
Last edited by GrisKy at Nov 8, 2009,
Quote by The_Bosstone

No.
He's actually right, a distortion pedal clips square like a diode.
An overdrive tries to mimic the more "gentle" clipping of a tube amplifier, and doesn't colour your tone as much. That's why nobody in their right mind boosts with a DS-1.

Idiot has been corrected, on to the pedals.

For metal core... you want a quality digital delay, look at T.C electronics Nova Delay.

Using a 6505+, it would be recommended that you have an EQ, can either go rackmount, or just go with the standard MXR M-108 (I'm pretty sure that's the 10-Band), Not as a boost, just to focus your frequencies and get a "tighter" sound.

A good wah, Dunlop 535Q or Ibanez Weeping Demon are a good place to start your search. the WD-7 is a little more digital sounding, but has really quite an aggressive sweep in my experience with it.

Thats really about it, less you wanna try some more experimental sounds.

So yeah, just keep an eye out for those things secondhand and accumulate them over time, less you're playing live you dont need them right now
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Last edited by R.D at Nov 8, 2009,