Here is a general question, its not about any music genre, but music as a whole its self: If the Internet and YouTube had been around, oh say starting in 1982, how do you think the music industry would have been then and now? Do you thinks bands that quit because of a loss of members would have continued on, would there have been a lot more bands. Would bands that folded back then still be around today, this is all theoretical, what are your thoughts on this?
I'd have thought so. But given bands today haven't given up, then probably not. But you raise a good point
A lot of bands spoke against the modern ways of being promoted. Before the Internet became omnipresent, companies take a chance and give the band members a chance to shine. With the Internet nowadays, companies can just reject a band and find a dime a dozen of other bands for them to promote.

You have to consider the Clear Channel Communications being in existence in mid-late 90's also. They control almost everything in the radio nowadays and they are the ones who are in charge of what goes on or off on the radio.

If Youtube came to existence in 1982 for example, it would almost if not exactly be the same as it is today. Metallica would be looked upon as a band that blended too many genres. Consider when they first start out, they were too punk to play in metal bars and too metal to play in punk bars. A lot of bands at the bar I go to nowadays are exactly like this but they are not going to be supported with a high profile record company because of availability of other bands today.
If the internet was around in '82 I think there would be a lot more bands then, or maybe not. If the internet was around then, would we have some of the great bands we have had? Probably not.
Quote by Scoff
If the internet was around in '82 I think there would be a lot more bands then, or maybe not. If the internet was around then, would we have some of the great bands we have had? Probably not.
In another 25 years time, people will be asking "What would music have been like if the internet wasn't around in the 2000s?"