Anyone playing this? Opinions please....
I'm looking for a new amp and these got good reviews.

I'm looking for a EL-34 based, 50 Watt, 1X12 for easy lugging and tone.
Gotta have good cleans and take Distortion pedals well.
I didn't look up the cost of that puppy but let's try this (no...I 've never played one)

Budget?
Genres?
Home or Gig?
New or Used?
Current Gear?
Closest City?
Good Cleans?
Takes pedals?
Combo?

don't rule out a head + 212 cab
Well,
I got an open budget, but I really don't feel like spending 3 grand on a ****in 1x12.
I got a 1982 Rat pedal that is the core of my tone.
So a good clean is numero uno.
What about that Eggnater rebel 30? Wonder if thats any good...
Guess I'll have to go to GC and play friggin amps all day.
Prolly walk out with a fender something.....
I played it and thought it sounded pretty nice. You might also like the Bugera V22 or V55. Scratch that...if you have a more open budget. Have played AC30s? Fenders are also good. What kind of clean tone do you want?
Last edited by sg4ever at Nov 7, 2009,
Quote by sg4ever
I played it and thought it sounded pretty nice. You might also like the Bugera V22 or V55. Scratch that...if you have a more open budget. Have played AC30s? Fenders are also good. What kind of clean tone do you want?

Well, since the Rat will give me good 80/90's rock tone.
I need a clean that is nice and chimey, to, warm blues overdrive.
Plus, I'm getting old, so I need something I can carry without swoalling my balls up.
So preferably a 1X12. Id get a head, but then I have to carry a damn cab.
I can always mike the 1X12, so I really aint to worried about it.
And thank you for your opinion.
A budget is helpful. For all I know you are after something like a Dr Z Maz 18 - which might be perfect too.

I wouldn't want to relay on a Rat, but I know lots of people that do it that way.

I like cleans too.

Egnaters are cool. The Rebel and matching cab may be worth looking at as well as the combo.

I'd also check out the Blackstar HT5 mini stack and the Night Train.

I thought you were looking for an EL34 brit tone?

oh well...yeah, go play some stuff and go as early in the day as possible.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
A budget is helpful. For all I know you are after something like a Dr Z Maz 18 - which might be perfect too.

I wouldn't want to relay on a Rat, but I know lots of people that do it that way.

I like cleans too.

Egnaters are cool. The Rebel and matching cab may be worth looking at as well as the combo.

I'd also check out the Blackstar HT5 mini stack and the Night Train.

I thought you were looking for an EL34 brit tone?

oh well...yeah, go play some stuff and go as early in the day as possible.

That Dr Z is pushing the budget...
I think I would prefer the EL-34 overdrive... but yeah I know what your saying about the 6L6 cleans. Now that I think about it, that might be what I'm lookin for.
Never gave the Blackstar a thought. Maybe I'll checker out.
You dont seem over excited about the Eggs... but I'll give those a run too just for curiosity. Guess I'll report back tomorrow some time with my purchase, as if anyone here gives a rats ass which amp I bring home tomorrow.....
Thanks for the input.
I played the Tourmaster and Rebel 20 and they were nice don't me wrong but they didn't quite push me over the edge like the HT5 and and Night Train did. It is a personal thing so if you like it that is really all that matters. Let us know.

6L6s have nice cleans too. If your tone is from the Rat, then you need to take that into consideration as well. I'd try an Overdrive pedal (as clean boost) in front of some of these amps and see what you think.

If you want an EL34 type combo - I'm sure we can find something that fits your budget.

late,
Well, I went with one of those Eggs....heh, I cant believe it.
Walked out of GC with the Rebel 30 combo.
Mixed 6V6 and EL-84's in the power section.
Sweet little sounding amp. And loud as heck too.
Clean channel is top notch with good head room and tone control.
The lead channel sounds......well, pretty good. Sounds like a Marshall I guess with all those mids. It smooth and creamy anyway and that's what matterd to me.
But like I said, that's why I got the Rat out front.

Got in there early like you suggested... before all the metal cling-ons started filling up the place and grabbing all the BC Warlocks off the wall......