Hey bass forum. I got a second hand Rockbass 'Vette recently, it was playing fine and I was very happy with the bass until recently. It started off as a small...'noise' when I played a D (A string, 5th, open D string AND G string 7th fret), the noise got louder. I gave the truss a 1/4 turn relief, let it settle and nothing. Now it's just as loud as it was before.

The 'noise' can only be described as a hollow scratch/rake sound. Please trust me that it isn't fret buzz, even if it sounds like it on these videos.

Video 1

Video 2

Video 1 shows me playing octaves of every note, then when I hit the D it starts rattling (It sometimes does it with the next fret along as well), and at the end the open string (this time the open A rattles worse).

Video 2 is more to capture the sound.

So, any ideas or input guys/girls? Oh and dear God, I never knew my hands were that small looking
Quote by edgeyyz
Is the buzzing down near the bridge?

Ah forgot to add where the sounds coming from. It's at the back of the neck, my guess being the truss rod that's making the noise. The truss seems fine though and works.

Some more points I forgot to add ; When the action is raised the rattle gets worse, and finally when I detune a full step the rattle stops completely. It's like my truss/neck hates the D note in standard tuning and nothing else lol.
Last edited by Micehorns at Nov 7, 2009,
Your truss rod shouldn't be making that noise, even if it had snapped in two. Check to see if the nut and/or the tuning key is loose.
Quote by FatalGear41
Your truss rod shouldn't be making that noise, even if it had snapped in two. Check to see if the nut and/or the tuning key is loose.

I've checked each machine head while playing, the nut seems to be fine, even the truss rod cover has been checked. Ermm..control cavity has been held down, knobs, bridge, etc. I've tried everything, the only thing I can't really check while playing is the truss itself.
that is a problem.

so it rattles with more tension?

poke an allen wrench in there and carefully push side to side to see if its loose up top. if it is, try stuffing the hole with some paper or foam and see if that stops the buzz.

it's temporary, but it'll do until a luthier sees it.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
It is all but impossible to identify the source of a noise from a video, but even a broken truss rod shouldn't make that much noise. Moreover, if it was a broken truss rod (and those things ain't easy to break), you would get the noise from all of the strings. The noise sounds like it is coming from the strings; buzzing against a fret, bridge saddle or the nut. Have a good technician check it out. There is a pretty good chance that it isn't anything serious.
Quote by the humanity
that is a problem.

so it rattles with more tension?

poke an allen wrench in there and carefully push side to side to see if its loose up top. if it is, try stuffing the hole with some paper or foam and see if that stops the buzz.

it's temporary, but it'll do until a luthier sees it.

The truss seemed fine when I was adjusting it earlier this week. Hmm I'll check again tomorrow and give it a more thorough going over. Oh well sleep time for me. Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone!

It's 5am so my ideas may be wrong, but 1) Can the core of a string break? 2) Some sort of sympathetic resonance going on with the neck itself?
Last edited by Micehorns at Nov 7, 2009,
the core could break I've had it happen. is your string having trouble staying in tune? it might be partially broken.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Oh, yes! The core of the string can break, at which point the outer winding comes undone at warp speed and freaks you out thoroughly. As for resonance within the neck, I suppose it is possible, but then I would expect you to get the noise on all strings. It might be something as minor as a bad set screw in a bridge saddle. Have it checked, and if the technician says it is something major, get a second opinion. Freaky noises are as annoying as hell, but they usually aren't symptomatic of anything major.
Check the fret at that point, just to make sure it's the same height as all the rest and not damaged in any way.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Is the string breaking at the nut, if not that could be a problem for the d string. It happened to me before.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
It sounds to me that your neck may be too straight or more likely a little bit back-bowed. Since when you loosen the strings there would be less stress on the neck it would bow forwards and eliminate the buzz. It's a guess, but I would sight down the neck and see in which direction it bows or if it bows at all. That would also explain why it's only really in the middle of the neck, if it is a back bow issue.