Ive seen a few people do this. They just leave the loose ends of the strings either flopping around off of the tuning pegs, or they sort of tie it off in a circle. I dont understand why you would want to just leave the end of the string there instead of cutting it off. Are the any advantages to leaving it there?
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by blue_strat
They might just not have a pair of wire cutters.

This explains me perfectly. That, and there's no good lighter in my house to burn them off.
Quote by SOADrox429
'Bring me the still-beating heart of a newborn child, and the world's rivers shall run red with the blood of the innocent.'

<\/> Fleshgod Apocalypse <\/>
Quote by blue_strat

This. Had to do it for a month cause I lost mine.
(۳ ˚Д˚۳
WTFISTHIS****!?!??

My Rig

Quote by SimplyBen
Wait until he's trying the fullstack, then shove it from behind. Crushing him with it's overdrive

Quote by BobDetroit
You can't tune a LP copies down. Some kind of lawsuit Gibson won. Sorry.
Well last time i restrung my guitar i left them on for a little while just because at the time i would have rather played than prettied her up. But i seldom do it if i have wire cutters around
i dont do it sometimes because im lazy.

and it makes you look cool lol. j/k
Classical Guitarist
Mostly just 'cos I'm lazy.
Which is usually remedied when I manage to poke myself in the eye with a loose string.
lost my wire cutters a few times. i normally leave them all wrapped up in circles until i run across some.
I actually learned about this when I bought an "Old School" amp from 1965 this summer.

Back in the day, amps didn't have grounded plugs...and most outlets weren't grounded either. Musicians were constantly at risk of getting shocked if either their amp or the microphone was wired up incorrectly. So, guitarists who also sang would keep the ends of their guitar strings coiled up in order to test whether they would get zapped. They would hold on to the wooden sides of the guitar body and then brush the floppy strings against the microphone. If they saw sparks, it was time to curse at the roadie and have them swap around the plugs.
"In Power Trios I Trust..."
Gibson SG Classic, Fender CP Jaguar Special HH, '65 RI Mustang
'65 Ampeg Gemini I G-12 Combo, Orange Tiny Terror
I have to cut them off. They rattle against each other and it drives me nuts.
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

Quote by Armchair Bronco
I actually learned about this when I bought an "Old School" amp from 1965 this summer.

Back in the day, amps didn't have grounded plugs...and most outlets weren't grounded either. Musicians were constantly at risk of getting shocked if either their amp or the microphone was wired up incorrectly. So, guitarists who also sang would keep the ends of their guitar strings coiled up in order to test whether they would get zapped. They would hold on to the wooden sides of the guitar body and then brush the floppy strings against the microphone. If they saw sparks, it was time to curse at the roadie and have them swap around the plugs.

awesome anecdote.
If I'm switching between string gauges regularly I'll leave them on so I'll have the whole string when I take them off. Other than that.

^that too
Even without a pair of wire cutters, I've never had a problem with this. I take the ends after getting them on the guitar, give them 2-3 sharp twists, then break them off. It does the job pretty well, actually. Granted, I didn't think to do this until I saw a friend of mine do it with his own guitar.
My heart beats in 4/4, not the other way around.

Do your part. Join TVTropes.
Quote by blue_strat

im sure tom morello wouldnt have any problems getting wire cutters if he really wanted them
Deals done with:
lfrz93
mmjohn
Quote by Armchair Bronco

you could do the same thing with the strings on the neck.
I cut them because i've cut my face several fsking times from it and nearly poked my eye out with em when i lean over to get shit

Then after cutting them i cut my fingers when cutting the other ones

I CAN NEVER WIN
When you cut the string ends off, somewhere in the world, someone drops dead.

That's probably why some people keep them on there.
it gives you more sustain and a lot of people say it gives you a better tone because there is more string for the sound to resonate throughout your guitar and create the solo

JUST ASK BOB DYLAN
Quote by Alex Vik
I've never understood it, and it really bugs me. Plus, I tried it once, and I damn near poked my eye out. It doesn't make sense to me.

Yeah but say you're having a truly awesome gig that's been spoiled by that stupid bass player standing in the corner looking a total jerk, just give them a few pokes with the string ends to get them moving about and pretend they're having a good time.

Seriously though it's probably much easier to just leave it there and forget about it then to trim off the string ends it makes no difference to your tone unless your name is Eric Johnson.
if youve had a string snap when playing live and you wanna restring one back on quickly (if you dont have a back up guitar) people tend to just put the string straight on without clipping them off, its a lot quicker to do it instead of clipping them off with wire cutters...
Or some people are lazy and just dont but them off...
GEAR :

Ibanez SA260FM
Burswood Strat Copy
Marshall GV-2 Distortion
Crate FlexWave 120 Amp

Quote by MLilienthal
it gives you more sustain and a lot of people say it gives you a better tone because there is more string for the sound to resonate throughout your guitar and create the solo

JUST ASK BOB DYLAN

oh, you mean this guy?
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.