heres the situation. im in a band and one possibly two of the guys are moving away. they want me to move with them because i wrote roughly half of the songs that we have and my playing style brings a bit of originality and sort of defines our sound. the other band members say that if i dont move the will not play the songs anymore.
i told them that when they move they can use the songs i wrote and dont have to give me any credit for them but they refuse. we play metal and my mind just isnt in the state to really play that kind of music anymore. everytime we practice afterwrards im very depressed for days.i used to be pretty hateful and i took that aggresion out though writing metal riffs.as of latley ive became very laid back and am wanting to rid my self of writing based on my hate (which was my main inspiration). is there any way to convince them to get another guitar player once the move is final? and how should i let thm know how i feel about not wanting to play this kind of music anymore? i really want them to carry on because some of the songs we have written have potential to be great metal songs imo.
Last edited by beyondthegrave at Nov 7, 2009,
Don't worry about it........just move on. What they want to do or will not do is not your problem.

Just keep on working on your music................
Quote by Afterhours
Don't worry about it........just move on. What they want to do or will not do is not your problem.

Just keep on working on your music................

normally this is what i would do but the 2 guys that are movin have been friends of mine for along time (before the band even started). im more so worried based on the fact that it could strain or possibly end friendships ive had for a long time.
Quote by beyondthegrave
heres the situation. im in a band and one possibly two of the guys are moving away. they want me to move with them because i wrote roughly half of the songs that we have and my playing style brings a bit of originality and sort of defines our sound.
What do you mean "moving away'? A change in where they live? There are a lot more factors than just staying in a band to make a decision like that.

Quote by beyondthegrave
the other band members say that if i dont move the will not play the songs anymore.
other members? you mean those who are NOT moving?

Quote by beyondthegrave
i told them that when they move they can use the songs i wrote and dont have to give me any credit for them but they refuse.
a gracious offer on your part. also, their choice whether or not to take you up on that offer.

Quote by beyondthegrave
we play metal and my mind just isnt in the state to really play that kind of music anymore. everytime we practice afterwrards im very depressed for days.i used to be pretty hateful and i took that aggresion out though writing metal riffs.as of latley ive became very laid back and am wanting to rid my self of writing based on my hate (which was my main inspiration).
Okay, so you're doing a bit of a change yourself. In terms of what kind of music you choose to be involved in. Certainly your choice. People's priorities do change over time. It's pretty common...

Quote by beyondthegrave
is there any way to convince them to get another guitar player once the move is final?
that's up to them, isn't it? if they move and you don't what they do is not your call.

Quote by beyondthegrave
and how should i let thm know how i feel about not wanting to play this kind of music anymore?
"I'm not into this anymore. I'm changing to a different style."

Quote by beyondthegrave
i really want them to carry on because some of the songs we have written have potential to be great metal songs imo.
Too bad. If you don't stay with them, they have to make the decisions about their music without your input. If you guys are no longer in the same band, you have no say.

Quote by beyondthegrave
normally this is what i would do but the 2 guys that are movin have been friends of mine for along time (before the band even started). im more so worried based on the fact that it could strain or possibly end friendships ive had for a long time.
You chose your path, they choose theirs. It doesn't matter if they like what you do. If it's right for you, they should be supportive of your choice. If you don't like what they do, you should still be supportive of their choice.

If you guys can't do that, you never were friends in the first place.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
It sounds like you don't want to be in the band anymore anyway, and that's enough reason to leave. Other band mates moving away is another good reason to leave/end a band. There's no problem with the band ending.

You won't loose your friends over it if they are real friends.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud