I'm really interested in starting up a band, but I don't really know many other people who play instruments. I told my brother if he wanted, I would buy him a bass and an amp, but he thinks bass is lame. Anything I can tell him or show him that might convince him otherwise?

Right now he just sits around the house and plays video games, he doesn't work or go to school, so I'm trying to get him to do something productive.
[[[The Game]]]
Quote by VictorVella

This thread proves Gigatiran is awesome, and a lot more awesome than your average awesome. I bet he even owns a duster like Dennis Reynolds.
don't. he doesn't want to play bass. you can't make him grow up. you can make him punch you in the face.

you live in Tucson. that is not a small town with 10 people. there are bass players out there. I've been there. I've played a Mesa fullstack there. if there are people to sell a Mesa bass amp there, there are people who wouldn't mind playing one in your band.

craigslist and putting up ads will be great.

or, play bass yourself.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
explain to him that its training for his future. if you play in a rock band you get more attention and more attention=more oppertunities to get laid.
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
I guess that sort of put things in perspective humanity, I just like my brother, that's all.
[[[The Game]]]
Quote by VictorVella

This thread proves Gigatiran is awesome, and a lot more awesome than your average awesome. I bet he even owns a duster like Dennis Reynolds.
This sounds suspiciously like Guitargasm.
I am so tired of rhetorical questions. Or am I?
Quote by Gigatiran
I guess that sort of put things in perspective humanity, I just like my brother, that's all.

of course you do.

you want him to have something to live for like you have guitar, he is out of school, without a job, he doesn't need someone to make him play bass, he needs someone to help him find out what he needs to do with himself.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Thanks for being my psychologist here. We don't hang out much anymore, I suppose I just though it would be cool, but I can't force him.
[[[The Game]]]
Quote by VictorVella

no prob.

look for a bass player!!!!

if you like metal, try an ad at a video game store. not even kidding.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by TechnoLp
if you play in a rock band you get more attention and more attention=more oppertunities to get laid.

And this applies to bassists how?

i just convinced my friend to pick up playing bass. i made him listen to "out of the races and onto the tracks" by the rapture. me and a buddy of mine were jamming and ask him on the spot "we need a bassist now!"

hope it helps
Like humanity said, don't try to get him into something like bass if he isn't interested. It requires a good degree of dedication to get "satisfactory results" for lack of a better term, plus its not the cheapest of activities.

If your looking for a bassist, Guitar Centers usually have an area right outside the checkout desk where people put up adds. Put up a flier, people do read them
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
Like humanity said, don't try to get him into something like bass if he isn't interested. It requires a good degree of dedication to get "satisfactory results" for lack of a better term, plus its not the cheapest of activities.

If your looking for a bassist, Guitar Centers usually have an area right outside the checkout desk where people put up adds. Put up a flier, people do read them

I know I do
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by MiG_853
And this applies to bassists how?

its called stage presence
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
Quote by gilly_90
I know I do

+1 to that idea, i dont leave if i notice new stuff up which there always is. Do this, and craigs ... it takes a while and some people may flake but its better than sitting around.

Anyway, you can show him some examples of the more known bassists to show it isnt all root note chugga. I dont know how well showing songs with sick bass lines will go cause based off my memory i never noticed them before i started playing.

Definitely dont force it, but if it dosnt work out i hope theres something you both end up being able to do brothers are rather important if of close age for some things eh? Maybe one of your friends has touched one for a while and would be into it if facilitated properly?
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
Quote by gilly_90
I know I do

Australia? Guitar center

But i agree with the point, if we did have a GC i know i would.
Quote by Bass First
Australia? Guitar center

But i agree with the point, if we did have a GC i know i would.

Billy Hyde, Allan's, Derringers, Harrison's etc. all have notice boards
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

Quote by Bass First
Is this melbourne? I've never been

It might only be Adelaide I really don't know

It's crap anyway
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

If he doesn't like the bass he probably isnt the best choice for a bassist. Do you really think that he would be commited to your band anyway if he doesnt want to be in it in the first place?

Maybe you could ask some other friends if they want to if your really desperate for one but if you're serious about the band you want somebody else who will be serious about it or eventually something will go wrong.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Quote by Gigatiran
he thinks bass is lame.

Don't try and persuade him, there are already enough idiots in the music industry. [/flame]

People play instruments because they want to play that instrument and want to make good music with the instrument they love. Otherwise their music sucks, hence Indie. [/flame.mk.II]
Quote by MiG_853
Playing with family sucks. Make friends with musicians.
I couldn't disagree more. Sure if you don't get a long with your family it would suck, but if you do, there's chemistry there that usually is difficult to find elsewhere.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by food1010
I couldn't disagree more. Sure if you don't get a long with your family it would suck, but if you do, there's chemistry there that usually is difficult to find elsewhere.

depends on how your family is. my sister likes hip hop and punk, my dad likes Mexican folk music (ex. ranchera) and my mom likes vocal based pop music.

I'm a blues/rock/noise kinda guy.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

dont bother
hel start play like 2 months then stop

i have a brother as well...he was the one my parents wanted to start guitar, they didnt even bother asking me
showed them
Last edited by '93 at Nov 7, 2009,
Quote by gilly_90
It might only be Adelaide I really don't know

It's crap anyway

Which Derringer's do you go to?

and screw that Rock Music on Pulteney street, Best guys in there one of the few stores who'll still do deals, but only if you prove loyal
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"