I've only got a Squire Strat as a guitar, had it for about a year, and I never really treated it with much care. I'm thinking about fixing it up or whatever, it's in good shape, but it's always out of tune. My question is this; Would it be cheaper to replace pick-ups, the bridge, strings, ect. on it or to get a new guitar like an Ibanez?
Last edited by Mudd. at Nov 7, 2009,
If your guitar's action and intonation is good, the cheapest thing to do would be to replace the tuners or maybe the bridge (or, if it has one, just stop using the tremolo, as that'll just ruin the tuning on a Squier). Honestly though, it's a Squier. If you've been playing for a year and you've got the cash, I'd go with a new guitar. Their RG series is pretty good.
My heart beats in 4/4, not the other way around.

Do your part. Join TVTropes.
Quote by Alden Ashford
If your guitar's action and intonation is good, the cheapest thing to do would be to replace the tuners or maybe the bridge (or, if it has one, just stop using the tremolo, as that'll just ruin the tuning on a Squier). Honestly though, it's a Squier. If you've been playing for a year and you've got the cash, I'd go with a new guitar. Their RG series is pretty good.

Action & intonation?
Action is how high the strings are raised above the fret board. Higher action makes playing a little more difficult, but the notes should be clearer, and lower action is good for fast playing, but it might sound a bit muddy. Action can be adjusted on the bridge.

Explaining intonation is a bit harder for me, but here it goes. If your guitar isn't intonated properly, then your notes will sound slightly out of tune when you play higher notes. When done correctly, your notes will all sound in tune, regardless of where you play them. Having your guitar intonated also helps it to stay in tune.

Yeesh, and the intonation process itself is one hell of a chore, though once you've done it once, it's not so bad, and the only time you might have to do it after that is if you drastically change the gauge of strings you're using. A good guide for intonating your guitar is here, although if you have some money lying around, you might want to take it to a nearby guitar store and ask them to set it up for you. It'll get the job done and might fix your guitar's inability to star in tune. It'd be better than spending money on expensive parts for a guitar that isn't worth it.

Fender and squier shoould not be put in the same sentence ...

I would probably think about getting a new guitar
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

What squier strat? And what ibanez? If it's like a classic vibe squier that you're looking at selling for a GRG I would advise you not too and invest in the CV after all some squier's are pretty good imo.
Quote by Alden Ashford
Action is how high the strings are raised above the fret board. Higher action makes playing a little more difficult, but the notes should be clearer, and lower action is good for fast playing, but it might sound a bit muddy. Action can be adjusted on the bridge.

Explaining intonation is a bit harder for me, but here it goes. If your guitar isn't intonated properly, then your notes will sound slightly out of tune when you play higher notes. When done correctly, your notes will all sound in tune, regardless of where you play them. Having your guitar intonated also helps it to stay in tune.

Yeesh, and the intonation process itself is one hell of a chore, though once you've done it once, it's not so bad, and the only time you might have to do it after that is if you drastically change the gauge of strings you're using. A good guide for intonating your guitar is here, although if you have some money lying around, you might want to take it to a nearby guitar store and ask them to set it up for you. It'll get the job done and might fix your guitar's inability to star in tune. It'd be better than spending money on expensive parts for a guitar that isn't worth it.

Oh, is that what the screws are for on the bridge? I was changing a string and wondered what they were for.
Quote by Mudd.
Oh, is that what the screws are for on the bridge? I was changing a string and wondered what they were for.

Yeah, you adjust the height (action) using the screws. There are also screws on the fronts of the saddles (where the strings go through and rest on), which moves the saddles back and forth. That is how you adjust the intonation.

before you buy a new guitar, or fix this one up, you should

1. learn how to set this one up, so it plays better.

2. look at your amp situation, because any guitar sounds like crap through a starter amp.

action
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011