Alright, I've decided it's time to get a new amp. Unfortunately, I know little about what amps are good for what, etc.
I play a lot of old-school metalcore, hardcore, sludgy stoner metal, and progressive metal.
I want a 212 combo, and i definitely want it to be tube.
I will be gigging with it.
Good cleans are definitely a positive, as well as versatility.
Also, I'm quite partial to dark tones.
My budget is about $800 CDN, but there's a bit of flexibility there, and I'm totally fine with going used.
I know I'm gonna get a ton of recs for the 5150/6505, but I made this to get other opinions. Thanks y'all.
Quote by seeneyj
I thought the whole idea of post-hardcore was to mix techno and hardcore.....
Last edited by zezimathehero at Nov 7, 2009,
Well, with all the metal, the 6505+ is definitely gonna be my first recommendation. LOL

BUT, seeing as you want other recommendations...
Peavey JSX - not as raw sounding as the 6505, it's definitely a bit more refined, but its a really versatile amp that sounds awesome and can sound even more awesome with the right combo of tubes/guitar/pickups.
Honestly, IMO the JSX is one of those amps that will let the sound of your guitar shine through and really sounds a lot different with even the most subtle variation. The JSX has really nice cleans, plays well with effects, and can get you some pretty heavy distortions - even if they're not as raw as the 6505. I've tried a few amps that just end up giving me close to the same damn thing, and that's nowhere near close with my JSX.

If you could find a Mesa Mark IV combo, used, that's another I'd totally recommend...

Also, if you're partial to dark tones, I'd check out a Peavey ValveKing as well. Cheaper by comparison to all of the amps I mentioned before, but, it's still a good amp worth checking out. The cleans are nice (I personally love them with the bright switch on, but others tend to tell me that I'm crazy for thinking this) and the distortion (at least mine was for the short amount of time I had mine) was really woody, not a lot of high end and not too much gain either. For some of the sludgier genres you play (like the stoner metal), this paired with some type of OD for added gain/brightness/tightness might be just up your alley. For metalcore though, you'd probably wanna find a good distortion pedal (Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem, perhaps??? Or maybe something Recto voiced???)
Last edited by x7shadesofblack at Nov 7, 2009,
Vypyr Tube?

that has versatility, cleans and metalcore distortion.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

any of the Mesa Mark series if you can find a good one used in your budget
also the Peavey XXX, smiler to the JSX and a bit cheaper
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Nov 7, 2009,
Mesa Mark III. Do it!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Congrats dude. I kinda want a BJ too 'cause I like them so much. I'll check your clipz later.

Quote by justinb904

also the Peavey XXX, smiler to the JSX and a bit cheaper

Honestly, I don't think the XXX sounds ANYTHING like the JSX, but it's not the first time I hear this so it's probably just me... LOL
I personally think the XXX sounds a little too woofy - not bass-wise, but... i find it to be a little TOO harsh, and not in a good way.
But you never know, if you like it, then yes, the XXX is another one to think about as well.
Goddamn Mesa's are expensive.
Also, I don't really know if i need a super "metal" amp, because i'm just gonna boost the shit out of it to switch between really thick sludgy distortion and then my hardcore distortion. I've been looking at the Carvin V3, what have y'all heard about it?
Quote by seeneyj
Yeah, they can be pretty expensive. Not as expensive as other brands, but for the player without a decent sized budget... That's why I never got a Mesa - even when I DID have the money for it, I found my JSX

I honestly haven't heard much about the V3 other than what I've seen in their ads - But they look pretty sweet, and I'd imagine they sound pretty sweet as well - they also look flexible, especially if you're using any kind of MIDI controlled effects or anything of the like.

But really, look into the whole Peavey line used, I'm sure you're bound to find SOMETHING in there that you'll like.
Last edited by x7shadesofblack at Nov 7, 2009,
Well, For sludge the 6505 is going to sound like shit.
Maybe the V3 or a mesa is your best bet.
They can sound tight for the prog/metalcore and maybe if you take the gain back, use your neck pup and add some mids they could make a nice stoner/sludge/post-hardcore tone.
Would it help if i said i was looking for tones like a mix of Converge, Shai Hulud, Mastodon, and a nice clean channel?
Quote by seeneyj