musicians you think overexaggerate/underexaggerate their technical abilities

Page 1 of 2
i think this is an interesting topic.

personally, i have to call bullshit on zakk wylde practicing "14 hours a day" as a teenager. i think he has respectable chops, but not on the level of John Petrucci or Paul Gilbert, or many other shredders for that matter. plus, i think 14 hours, you would just wind up hurting yourself.

conversely, i absolutely dont believe Matt Bellamy from Muse can't read music. anybody with knowledge of the technical aspects of piano playing can tell that some serious training went on there.

other ideas?
I've heard people say that rivers cuomo is quite the shredder.
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
There aren't many that do either: most of them under-exaggerate or simply tell the truth - if they over-exaggerate, they are quickly taken down a peg by the media.

Also, this isn't a thread about musicians which are under or over exaggerated, so Malmsteen and Bellamy are out of the picture because neither of them over exaggerate their own ability (Malmsteen is called a guitar hero for a reason, and I've never heard Bellamy discuss his ability - I don't know where the whole "he's the next great" thing came from...)
Quote by pbiggie

apparently hes also a great piano player
Quote by cerpintaxt45

conversely, i absolutely dont believe Matt Bellamy from Muse can't read music. anybody with knowledge of the technical aspects of piano playing can tell that some serious training went on there.

other ideas?

I sure as hell can believe it. That so called "symphony" was pathetic, and in no way a symphony. I doubt he has ever even heard an entire Beethoven's symphony in his life. It's quite obvious from the latest album, in fact, that he has no idea how to read music, nor does he have any notion how classical music works at all. Yet, he persists to compare his latest work to it, even joking that it could possibly be played on a classical radio station. Just wow. Pretentious doesn't even begin to describe Matt as of late.

As for Wylde, it's not just about speed. I think much of his practice went into stylizing rather than just shredding.
I think Geddy Lee is harbouring greatness which would surpass his bass work with Rush.
Quote by Mudmen190
I think Geddy Lee is harbouring greatness which would surpass his bass work with Rush.

I dunno, have you ever heard his solo album? Kinda glad he sticks with Rush.

I can't really think of anyone that severely overstates their abilities (I'd say Herman Li comes as close as it gets, but he's never really come off to me as being the type who bullshits about his abilities), but Mark Tremonti has always kinda come off to me as someone who understates them. Sure he shreds like a bitch in Alter Bridge's stuff, but his way with using alternate tunings and shredding could give him a pretty good advantage for making a solo album or starting a prog band, and yet he continues playing post-grunge with the likes of Creed and Alter Bridge... He's got the potential to go as far as his playing can take him.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Kerry king definitely overplays himself.....as well as Brett Hinds frm Mastadon.......and I think players like Nuno Bettencourt and Richie Kotzen downplay their abilities most of the time...
[IMG]http://www.sickonthebus.com/images/hell_skull_index.jpg[/IMG]
Quote by Jondy
I sure as hell can believe it. That so called "symphony" was pathetic, and in no way a symphony. I doubt he has ever even heard an entire Beethoven's symphony in his life. It's quite obvious from the latest album, in fact, that he has no idea how to read music, nor does he have any notion how classical music works at all. Yet, he persists to compare his latest work to it, even joking that it could possibly be played on a classical radio station. Just wow. Pretentious doesn't even begin to describe Matt as of late.

As for Wylde, it's not just about speed. I think much of his practice went into stylizing rather than just shredding.

I agree with this, looks like Bellamy just took some basic chords and used the button on guitar pro to change the instrument to strings.
buckethead is the most self understated musician ever!

i was just reading through waiting for someone to mention him, but noone did, so i shall.

ok, im not one of those people that thinks he is the BEST GUITARIST TO EVER EXIST, but when did he ever accept a single release, an interview, ANY kind of endorsement except guitar hero back when it was tasteful?

the man clearly isnt taking advantage of his talent the way most people would.
Brian May. He always talks down himself, even though he is God.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
i find guys like muhammed suicmez or pat o'brian never talk about how amazing they are,
example
interviewer: with the rise of technical death metal bands, do you feel you have to out-technical everyone else?

muhammed: no, i just do what i want, and i dont really care how technical it is compared to everyone else.

thats pretty honest and i think hes underestimating himself a bit
Quote by Minkaro
I''d congratulate him.

To be fair, he's done amazingly well to punch my hand when it's usually in my pocket.
Quote by gilles_frehley

I officialy call for a petition toabn Karl Sanders from ever soloing AND using the devil horns sign....seriously how do u go "And I think I went" when ure in a band like Nile ?!
[IMG]http://www.sickonthebus.com/images/hell_skull_index.jpg[/IMG]
Last edited by Judas_rising at Nov 7, 2009,
Interesting thread.

I think Mark Morton from Lamb of God completely under exaggerates his abilities. Or he's at least VERY modest. He keeps say "Oh, I need to work on this, I suck at that." He doesn't know how beast he is.
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
Quote by nathanhimmerich
buckethead is the most self understated musician ever!

i was just reading through waiting for someone to mention him, but noone did, so i shall.

ok, im not one of those people that thinks he is the BEST GUITARIST TO EVER EXIST, but when did he ever accept a single release, an interview, ANY kind of endorsement except guitar hero back when it was tasteful?

the man clearly isnt taking advantage of his talent the way most people would.

He's getting a signature guitar from Gibson, just to say.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
I don't understand why a pianist wouldn't learn to read music, it's not exactly complicated and it would make things like.. learning the piano.. so much easier.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Quote by Vitor_vdp
That was absolutely horrible
Please tell me you were being sarcastic and I didn't realize...

Hint: Over-exaggerating
Quote by Carmel
You are a redeeming feature for the UG Swedish population.

All-riiight.
underrated:
brian may
jeff beck
paul kossoff
joe perry
billy gibbons
tony iommi
carlos santana
keith richards

overrated:
eddie van halen
hendrix
the dragon force people
kirk hammet
pete townshend
jonas bros
buckethead
miley cirus
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
Quote by digman50
underrated:
brian may
jeff beck
paul kossoff
joe perry
billy gibbons
tony iommi
carlos santana
keith richards

overrated:
eddie van halen
hendrix
the dragon force people
kirk hammet
pete townshend
jonas bros
buckethead
miley cirus

First time I've ever seen Buckethead and Miley Cyrus in the same category.

I'm gonna sound like a total fanboy here, but I think people give Zakk Wylde a hard time because he plays pentatonics. I read in an interview that before he became a pro, he used a lot of alternate picking, but he didn't want to use diatonic scales because everyone at the time used them and ended up sounding like Yngwie. So he applied his picking technique to blues and country licks. Besides, even though he uses the most common scale in guitardom, he still has his own distinctive style. Oddly enough, no-one ever complains about the previous generations of guitarists who used nothing but pentatonics throughout their entire careers.

Plus, he picked up the guitar age 15, and 4 years later joined Ozzy's band. That's quite an achievement.

I think John Mayer thinks too highly of himself. I like some of his music, but he seems to act like he's the saviour of Blues music for our generation or something. I prefer his pop stuff over his bluesy stuff, anyway.
Last edited by sashki at Nov 7, 2009,
Quote by sashki

Plus, he picked up the guitar age 15, and 4 years later joined Ozzy's band. That's quite the luck

fixed.
Quote by Portuguese_boy
fixed.

Well, he did audition a lot of people.

And I've been playing 7 years, I can't play any of Zakk's solos, nevermind write solos. But maybe that's just me.
Quote by XianXiuHong
Yngwie for the over

Paul Gilbert for the under

Yngwie may be a pompous douche about it, but it's justified. His technical ability and phrasing IS very good.

People like Synyster Gates on the other hand needs to stop incorporating technical difficult stuff in his songs until he can actually master it...
I am a postmodern vegetarian, I eat meat ironically.
Quote by Lil Macker

Really?
*instantly googles*

Quote by Spoonman69
Rap is music,far better than metal for example. id much rather hear about hoes and anal sex than dragons and supressed homosexuality.
Malmsteen compares himself to creative geniuses like Da Vinci and Picasso, and he's definitely not one of them. Yeah, he's good at guitar, but his writing is forgettable at best.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by pbiggie

He actually is a fairly good guitar player. He was in a Speed Metal band before Weezer and they were kinda good (but what Speed Metal is actually good? Seriously.)
Quote by larrytheguitar
Interesting thread.

I think Mark Morton from Lamb of God completely under exaggerates his abilities. Or he's at least VERY modest. He keeps say "Oh, I need to work on this, I suck at that." He doesn't know how beast he is.

/thread
Quote by Lil Macker

I think this'll be good, but its still never going to be what he plays.
His guitar isn't actually a Gibson, they jsut endorsed him then paid a custom builder (dont know who) to build him a oversized, longer scale white Les Paul... then they slapped a Gibson headstock and logo on it, and claimed it their own.

Not that that's uncommon, alot of guitar companies have others "ghostbuild" their models.

Mike
I think Slash is better than he appears to be.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
Quote by digman50

overrated:
buckethead

...are you medically insane?

The man can write and play ANY style, all the while maintaining medody, class and style.

How much Buckethead have you actually heard?
Heard any of his Death Cube K stuff?
Heard of The Cornbugs?
Heard of The Deli Creeps?
Heard any of his film scores?
Page 1 of 2