1 8%
VI
3 23%
VII
2 15%
Voters: 13.
Page 1 of 2
This is the judging thread for the classical competition that's been going on,
I took out al the names and such in every file, so that the judging can commence fairly, without any further external factors involved, and every file is named by a roman number, and is available in a GP5 + GP4 format.

Judging goes like this:

Judges:

|_JR_|
+
Thomasoman

You could just post a list in order from best to worst here so, just like this:
1 = best
7 = worst
Best:
1. VI
2. I
3. III
4. II
5. VII
6. V
7. IV

to worst.

EVERYONE ELSE WHO WANTS TO JUDGE!

just vote for your favorite in the poll, please..

The points will be rewarded as followed:

If both judges put a piece at say 4th and 5th position, those numbers are added up, which gives it 9 points..
To those points will also be place which the piece gets in the poll, so say it is on position 3 in the poll, it will have a total of 12 points.

Piece with the least points wins.

Let the judging begin..

EDIT:

the poll will close on the 20th of november

EDIT2:
Okay, these are the final rankings, from the poll, |_JR_|, and jimmyled as the judges:

From first to last place:

1. I jazzdeath

2. III nemeses@germany

3. VII regression

4. VI Simon Blackwing

5. IV ultimate-slash

6. II lucasgtrgod

7. V zezikaro

Thank you all for joining this competition and judging, I hope we can do this again soon

@jazzdeath, you said you wanted to judge, but I didn't want to stall this much longer, so if you still want to give ratings for the songs, be my guest, it is always interesting to here what people think
Attachments:
Classical composition contest.zip
Last edited by ultimate-slash at Nov 23, 2009,
Ordered list:

1. III
2. I
3. VII
4. II
5. VI
6. IV
7. V

Comments

I

Well, there's not really much to say, is it? Great stuff, it shows what I think is the spirit of classical musicianship - great care with dynamics, phrasing, voicing, etc. to contribute to a very expressive song. Pretty much flawless, giving a dark feeling where the "insanity" is clearly present (mania/depression thing works great).

Only one little piece of nitpicking: using all that let-ring on the left hand track makes the bass register sound a bit muddy in some parts (right hand is ok though).

Congrats, great stuff. 9.5/10

II

Alright, a strings/flute arrangement with a soft, sad mood, pretty original, and with a good sense of harmony, really nice. Although, there's a few things here and there. For starters, there's some dissonance in places (especially in bars 5-8) that, while not sounding exactly bad, but I'm not sure it sounds all that good either.. in that place at least, because, ironically, there's a much more dissonant bit in 22-25 that works great as a mood-breaker (because it creates tension, and feels natural in a way, cool stuff actually).

Then, there are (imo) some small issues with dynamics, sometimes the different voices change in "intensity" a bit abruptly when they should fade in/out more smoothly - it shows mostly in the beginning for the viola track, with those mp - f transitions, and then after bar 32, the violin line just disappears, I'd have kept that pattern going but slowly decreasing in volume.

Nevertheless, nice song, if a bit short. You got a good (although bad xD) feeling going on, progressing from sad to more "dramatic" to the end, as it should. Maybe you could had brought it back to the initial theme to finish, but it's good like this. 8/10

III

Other of my favourites of this comp, even though it relies on pretty standard motives of classical music (I'm talking chord progressions and stuff basically, some of it could probably be identified in bits of existing pieces if one looked hard enough), and so you might say it fell in the same category of song VI as originality goes, in the end the orchestrations used are much more interesting (little stuff like the timpani or the grim low piano line in the beginning make all the difference), the leads are great (main violin line is really catchy, and the flute interlude is so dramatic).

Not much criticism I can give, great job. 9.5/10

IV

One of the simplest pieces in this comp, manages to be quite pretty, nevertheless. Sounds a bit like a music box song, if that makes any sense xD

Again, there's not much to say about this... what is written works well (except for a quirky transition to bar 83 - bit of an abrupt mood change there, maybe you could do some sort of fade-in for the 16-ths piano part?), but there's not THAT much written. I'm not asking you to change it, I do like it as it is... but in a composition contest, it's hard to compare this to some of the others. *shrugs*

Enjoyable nonetheless, sorry if I can't bring myself to give a higher rate. :/ 6.5/10

V

Honestly... meh. Nothing really interesting is going on here, it's a basic chord progression going over and over with little melody on top of it, the piano track is almost identical to the guitar track, and to top that up, it can't really be labelled as a classical piece - its genre is pretty much undefined, add a drum track and you have basically an acoustic rock song!

Well, if you want to make a good song, be it classical or any other genre, you need melody (well, maybe not in metal, but certainly in classical), to give out the feel and stick to the listener's head, and harmony and rhythm to make it interesting. Don't have two instruments doing the same thing, make them fill the different registers, bass, mid and high, to create an atmosphere; put some more thought on your chords, doing different chord progressions as the song goes, and try to do some variations in the rhythm too (you don't have to go all time sig-crazy, but sometimes a little change in the bass/drum pattern means everything).

This is a start, but there's plenty of room for improvement.

For now.. 4/10

VI

Making an analogy with literature, this is a really well-written text with a not-so-interesting story... well written and nicely structured, with neat phrasings and orchestrations (good filling of the different registers, and I really liked that you used the main theme in both minor and major modes, a typical trick of classical which works fine here), but then... not all that original - I'm sure that if I looked hard enough I'd find pieces similar to this (for example, bars 46-52 are kind of a cliché.

Well, maybe this is being a bit unfair, since it's probably one of the hardest genres to be original, but.. I don't know, with this song I don't see anything that really puts it aside from similar ones.

(btw, I'm rating the symphonic version, had to choose one so... *shrugs*) 7.5/10

VII

..and to end, a string quartet. I actually changed the MIDI sounds to actual violin/viola/cello to listen to this, sounds better that way IMO (with everything at string ensemble 1 I had trouble distinguishing the different voices). (btw, in the topic of MIDI, using volume effects and vibratos in the right places, for the violin tracks, makes the sound much more realistic.. but this is really nitpicking xD)

Again, nothing extremely complicated, but quite nice. I agree with whoever said this has a Zelda-ish feeling.. xD It has a simple, coherent structure with nice melodies, phrasings and whatnot, but I believe something more could have been done of this - maybe an extra part, a cadence, a solo, who knows? - to make it live up to all its potential. But of course, it's good as it is, good job in creating a mood. 8/10
Last edited by |_JR_| at Nov 18, 2009,
Take your time

and regression is the one who should be thanked, I only made this judging-thread so..

btw people,

If anyone wants to make a comment about one or multiple songs go right ahead, it's not a forbidden thread or something
Please people, don't hesitate to give a vote for a piece that you like, no need to throw detailed criteria at each piece, if you just like a certain piece for what it is, please vote..

This competition hasn't been receiving a lot of attention over all, but I would be happy if I saw that the people who made the pieces got at least a little recognition for it

and thanx for the people who already voted
|_JR_| Don't worry, take your time. I certainly took my time when it came to organising things. *cough*

ultimate-slash, you have been a lot more effiecient than I have. Making a competition less than a month prior to going overseas was not exactly intelligent on my part. Then upon arrival having to deal with a lot of school work. Although, my lack of efficiency was the reason we got to include that lovely piano piece however... which ruined our chances of winning. <.<

It really is quite a good piece though, kudos to whoever made it, I'm too lazy to check the other thread right now to find out.
Really love piece one, a lot of dynamics with the timing, yet very sad and aggressive.

If i were told beethoven wrote that piece, i'd totally believe it. Although a TINY bit cliche on the diminished notes etc, really loved the piece.

I'd love to hear a real recording TBH.
EDIT : Can you changes votes somehow? :O
Last edited by zezikaro at Nov 12, 2009,
Quote by Regression
|_JR_| Don't worry, take your time. I certainly took my time when it came to organising things. *cough*

ultimate-slash, you have been a lot more effiecient than I have. Making a competition less than a month prior to going overseas was not exactly intelligent on my part. Then upon arrival having to deal with a lot of school work. Although, my lack of efficiency was the reason we got to include that lovely piano piece however... which ruined our chances of winning. <.<

It really is quite a good piece though, kudos to whoever made it, I'm too lazy to check the other thread right now to find out.

Yes, he quite ruined our chances

not that anyone has voted for me anyways...
Last edited by ultimate-slash at Nov 12, 2009,
zezikaro, no, but you can just say which you voted for, and what you want to change your vote to and we can take that into account when finalising the results. I would be shocked if I was told that Beethoven wrote that piece btw, maybe not if someone said it was written by Chopin.

ultimate-slash, I'm not doing too well either, I can feel your pain. Oh well, tis all in good fun.
Last edited by Regression at Nov 14, 2009,
Can I judge too? I'll crit them all anyway.
I - Amazing. Really loved it. I really liked the Mania and Depression theme. On the whole sounds a lot like Beethoven. Sounds impossible to play though... 10/10
II - Lots of dissonance on this one. Too Major for my liking though. Some parts were nice, but not really my taste. 6/10
III - Pretty nice, violin sounded horrible on GP though. Sounds Medieval/Baroque. Piano lead was really annoying throughout most of the composition (the end was great though). Harmonic Minor interlude was great. Ending reminded me of the American McGee's Alice soundtrack. 8.5/10
IV - Intro was really great. Really loved the harp arpeggios (and the piano ones later). I love it. Ending was stretched out though. 10/10
V - Intro was pretty simple, but nice. Way too long though. On the whole it was very repetitive. 7/10
VIa - Sounds like a spaced out Bach piece mixed with Super Mario. Nice, and funny. Not great though. 6.5/10
VIb - Much better, but still just Super Mario if it was written by Bach. 7.5/10
VII - Sounds a bit like Zelda/Irish Jig crossover... Nice though. 8/10
I liked I best.
Jimmyled, I'm sure we can add you to the judges-list, since you've put so much effort in critting them all

thank you very much for that
Quote by ultimate-slash
Jimmyled, I'm sure we can add you to the judges-list, since you've put so much effort in critting them all

thank you very much for that

Are you being sarcastic? Can't really tell, sorry. But anyway, no problem! I can go into more detail if you want.
Quote by jimmyled
Are you being sarcastic? Can't really tell, sorry. But anyway, no problem! I can go into more detail if you want.

haha no sorry, I wasn't being sarcastic, but I see how that could have been mistaken for sarcasm

I need to choose my words better next time
Quote by ultimate-slash
haha no sorry, I wasn't being sarcastic, but I see how that could have been mistaken for sarcasm

I need to choose my words better next time

Don't take it hard on yourself .
But I'm glad to see that I (my favourite) is currently in the lead.
jimmyled?

your avatar is great.
i love it. ♥
CLICK
Quote by synestershadows
Holy shit nemesis, that was depressing.
Mission accomplished!
Quote by Nemesis@Germany
jimmyled?

your avatar is great.
i love it. ♥

Yay!
Random question for y'all;

It wasn't really worth a new thread, so i'll ask here.

I wrote a piece for this competition, and i'm not too pleased with it.. How do i have a song that is more... 3 dimensional, and less flat? I want to have a full orchestra playing the piece, but usually they're just playing the same things.. How do i expand and make it more unique, so i can increase the feeling of depth within the piece

It'd be good if you could answer if you know
Quote by zezikaro
Random question for y'all;

It wasn't really worth a new thread, so i'll ask here.

I wrote a piece for this competition, and i'm not too pleased with it.. How do i have a song that is more... 3 dimensional, and less flat? I want to have a full orchestra playing the piece, but usually they're just playing the same things.. How do i expand and make it more unique, so i can increase the feeling of depth within the piece

It'd be good if you could answer if you know

Well, you could try harmonies, and make interesting rhythm parts. I have to listen to it though, so I don't really know.
@zezikaro

well, I noticed in your piece the notes aren't really spanning a wide range of tones, it often helps if you change around between higher and lower octaves and use different octaves at the same time, this gives it a fuller sound, and also (like jimmyled said) harmonizing really helps..

what I find most useful for making something with a full orchestra and such things, is starting with a main melody - usually with high tones -, and harmonize that, and work things out from that, getting a lower section (bass, cello, low strings etc etc..) that compliments that melody, yet with some changes in rhythm and such here and there, and then start adding a middle section, some synths/choirs/string ensemles/stuff like that, adding up to fill the sounds and support the melodies...
Thank you for the reply ultimate-slash and jimmyled, if i were to post as ong i'm working on atm woul you be able to give some help with it? :O

Because it's really troubling me, and discouraging me ='[
Quote by zezikaro
Thank you for the reply ultimate-slash and jimmyled, if i were to post as ong i'm working on atm woul you be able to give some help with it? :O

Because it's really troubling me, and discouraging me ='[

well, I'd say make a new thread here in the Riffs & recording forum, so more people can give you some advice, but I'd be happy to check it out for you

EDIT:

still no votes for me in the poll...
Last edited by ultimate-slash at Nov 17, 2009,
Quote by ultimate-slash
well, I'd say make a new thread here in the Riffs & recording forum, so more people can give you some advice, but I'd be happy to check it out for you

EDIT:

still no votes for me in the poll...

Bwahah, one more vote than you *win*

Maybe i should be giving YOU the advice!

OJ; I'll post the song in a bit, just wanna try to give it another go!
You don't need to be a virtuoso composer to be a good teacher, keep that in mind zezikaro.
Wait... Who composed which piece?
I'm assuming that zezikaro made piece V (he mentioned having one vote more than Ultimate, who said he had 0), and Ultimate-slash made IV, as he voted it as "worst" in his scale, and he mentioned he has 0 votes.
Quote by zezikaro
Bwahah, one more vote than you *win*

Maybe i should be giving YOU the advice!

OJ; I'll post the song in a bit, just wanna try to give it another go!

Well...

My piece is just too good for everyone to understand!

*runs off screaming like an angry Idols-contestant after Simon Cowell told him that the sound of his chair scratching on the ground sounds even better*

Quote by jimmyled
Wait... Who composed which piece?
I'm assuming that zezikaro made piece V (he mentioned having one vote more than Ultimate, who said he had 0), and Ultimate-slash made IV, as he voted it as "worst" in his scale, and he mentioned he has 0 votes.

Yes zezikaro's piece was V and mine was IV, though the list I posted in my first post was just random

(sorry for double post, but something went wrong everytime I tried to edit my last post)
Alright, see the 1st page, my comments are posted except for song 7 (sorry, it's getting late, I'll do that one tomorrow - I promise!)

I don't know all that much of classical music, sorry if it seems unfair

And you'll notice I didn't break the tie between 1 and 3 in my scale... well, I think they're both very good, and it's kinda hard to compare between a solo piano piece and an orchestral one... *shrugs*
Still no votes...

But I got a good review. Despite the lack of attention I feel we should definitely do something like this again, not just for the fact that I have got much better at this sort of writing recently as the piece I submitted was the first true classical piece I have ever produced.
Last edited by LucasGtrGod at Nov 17, 2009,
Quote by LucasGtrGod
Still no votes...

But I got a good review. Despite the lack of attention I feel we should definitely do something like this again, not just for the fact that I have got much better at this sort of writing recently as the piece I submitted was the first true classical piece I have ever produced.

I agree, I liked making a song in this style, even though I normally don't do it very often..

|_JR_|, thanx for your ratings

and zezikaro, I'll be sure to check it out somewhere today
Yes, big thanks to _JR_.

I'd like to get around to rate/crit all the songs, at the moment I'm smack dab in the middle of moving to a new appartment, so I really don't have a lot of spare time and my time away from packing/work, I generally try to relax, but trust that I'll take the time to do it, sooner or later =)
Ok, it's all done
I ended up putting song III in 1st place mostly because the guy has no votes so far and he deserves some credit. xD

Should I put a vote in the poll or will that ruin the system?
Quote by zezikaro
I've posted my failed harmonising thing;
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=22320418#post22320418
Full message can be found there

Critted it
Quote by LucasGtrGod
Still no votes...

Which did you make?
Also, I think I'll put more detail in my crits soon.
Quote by |_JR_|
Ok, it's all done
I ended up putting song III in 1st place mostly because the guy has no votes so far and he deserves some credit. xD

Should I put a vote in the poll or will that ruin the system?

No need for you to vote in the poll, since your ratings will count as one vote, and so will the outcome of the poll

thanx for rating again
Yeah, I'd like to do another one sometime. Tbh, I would mind one in January. Holidays then so I won't have to worry about school. Thanks |_JR_|, and don't worry, I understand your criticism. I only got that piece into its current state just before going overseas. I have no idea where it could go though. Can't seem to think of any ideas for it. The one thing you have to applaude classical composers for is the way they can keep a piece interesting while still using the original motifs.

Anyway, getting kicked off the computer. Must go or I will die.
I agree, we should have another one, in which I'll try and participate.
Quote by JazzDeath
How many judges are there?

At this moment we have |_JR_| and jimmyled as a judge, and the poll counts as one (it's closed now though) so that makes 3 judges I guess..

why?
Do you want to judge to or are you just curious?
Cause if you're willing to give another judgement I'm willing to wait for a while with posting the final rankings until you're finished
OKAY!

I decided to end it now, since it kinda hit a dead end at the moment, so check the first post for the final scores
Well I guess I can't complain with fourth place. considering the heavy dissonance of the piece.
Page 1 of 2