I signed up for jazz band at school. It starts on Tuesday. Problem is, I'm not comfortable with reading music on the guitar. I can read well for clarinet and piano, so I don't need basic help. This has prohibited me from learning to read on the guitar because while I can play more complex songs, I don't want to spend the time to practice little, easy songs to learn how to read standard notation on it.

I can tink around with 1st position. Any sites that have easy jazz pieces I could practice? Maybe some band scales (Bb, C, etc.) ?

Also, could you give me a few chords commonly used in jazz that I should practice and become comfortable with?
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
Last edited by Psalm 150:4 at Nov 7, 2009,
If you can already sight read on both clarinet and piano I don't understand why you don't practise on guitar. I should be much easier for you than most people starting to sight read on guitar.

As for chords look at all of the seventh chords. Try and comp along to some simple standard like autumn leaves or blue bossa.

Do you not have any information on what's going to be asked in the audition?
Quote by Confusius
If you can already sight read on both clarinet and piano I don't understand why you don't practise on guitar. I should be much easier for you than most people starting to sight read on guitar.

-I have no time. Marching band, classes, and life literally keeps me occupied form 7 a.m. until 11 p.m. when I collapse.

Quote by Confusius
As for chords look at all of the seventh chords. Try and comp along to some simple standard like autumn leaves or blue bossa.

-thanks, I'll look into it

Quote by Confusius
Do you not have any information on what's going to be asked in the audition?

-there is no audition.
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
Quote by Psalm 150:4
-I have no time. Marching band, classes, and life literally keeps me occupied form 7 a.m. until 11 p.m. when I collapse.

If you have no time to devote to it, why'd you choose to do it?

I suggest getting a real book and reading through some of the easier ones first, you'll pick it up quick since you have a background in other instruments.
Well, you won't be playing melody's, the wind instruments will do that. So get down your comping skills. Learn different voicings for each type of chord. If you can't sight read melodies you'll at least be expected to sight read chord charts.
You won't be able to fake musical literacy, and the only way to lean it is to do it. You'll probably suck for the first bit, and then start to get more comfortable.

In terms of chords, you should learn some different seventh chords in different inversions on the top four strings. Learn movable shapes. If you have time, learn chord construction.
Melodic Rhythms for Guitar by William Leavitt is a pretty good book to use to learn how to read. Check it out if you can.
Quote by Envion
Melodic Rhythms for Guitar by William Leavitt is a pretty good book to use to learn how to read. Check it out if you can.

The Leavitt books are pretty good.

I'd get Modern Method for guitar:1
It advances very fast and is good to flick through and sight read.

as for chords:
get all your 7, 9, 6, 13 shapes down, root 5 and 6.
From there make sure you know how to sharp/flat the extensions.

min7b5 or half diminished chords are very common too, full diminished not so common.

get a real (fake) book and look through the standards in their, will help with sight reading (melodies are generally quite simple in jazz, its the impro thats hard) and chord ideas.

What is really good is if you can come up with your own shapes. These you tend to remember better, and you can avoid barre chords which stick out a bit in jazz.