Yo everyone,

Right I'm looking to buy a new guitar on the take it away scheme and i've got my eyes on the Gibson SG Special. I know its a rock guitar, but can it handle heavy rock/metal? I mean Limp Bizkit, Tool, Soil etc.

On a second note, i've been looking at the PRS CE 22 at £1399. I know its a massive price difference, but is the difference between the guitars warrant the difference in price??

Cheers everyone.
yes the prs would be better most likely
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

of coarse it can handle metal and rock. it would be plain stupid to say something else
Quote by JeanMi36
Back when I was a teen, I was making out with this girl, when I had the bright idea of putting my hand inside her panties.

She had her period.

I'm scarred for life
Though the PRS is a great guitar, probably better in terms of quality than the Gibson, I feel like the Gibson would pull off the heavier sounds better. Of course the PRS can do it, but I think the Gibson gives a much crunchier sound than the PRS.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Are you a lead of rhythm player? do you drop tune?

I always thinks of PRS's as "middle of the neck guitars" that is they play best and sound nicest between 5th and 7th fret

I think of SG's as "high neck guitars" they play and sound best around 14th fret.

So if you're a lead guy go for the SG and avoid the PRS stupid neck heel, If you're a rhtyhm player go for the PRS cos it's a damn nice rhythm guitar. In terms of handling rock/metal i think they'll hold up equally well, but possibly the SG has an edge in that respect?

NB i'm not saying that either can't do either, they can both do lead/rhythm well i just think of them in different ways, partly cos of the stupid PRS neck heel and odd weighting of the SG which makes the head drop.
Both are very overpriced. I wouldn't recommend either one of them.

If you want SG, take a look at Tokai SG copies. A Made-in-Japan Tokai SG85 or SG95 will beat the Gibson SG Special senseless anytime. They are about the same price as Gibson, too.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by doive
Are you a lead of rhythm player? do you drop tune?

I always thinks of PRS's as "middle of the neck guitars" that is they play best and sound nicest between 5th and 7th fret

I think of SG's as "high neck guitars" they play and sound best around 14th fret.

So if you're a lead guy go for the SG and avoid the PRS stupid neck heel, If you're a rhtyhm player go for the PRS cos it's a damn nice rhythm guitar. In terms of handling rock/metal i think they'll hold up equally well, but possibly the SG has an edge in that respect?

NB i'm not saying that either can't do either, they can both do lead/rhythm well i just think of them in different ways, partly cos of the stupid PRS neck heel and odd weighting of the SG which makes the head drop.

What?

If anything, the PRS is better for leads - what with the trem and all.
I don't see your point - the PRS neck heel isn't even that obstructing.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Angus young plays an SG, ACDC is hard rock.... put them both together....
GEAR :

Ibanez SA260FM
Burswood Strat Copy
Marshall GV-2 Distortion
Crate FlexWave 120 Amp

Just get what feels best in your hands and sounds best to your ears.
My Gear:
Gibson SG Classic
Les Paul knockoff >.>
Vox VT30 with footswitch
EHX Big Muff w/ Tone Wicker
....yes...it can do both....
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
If you will spend 1399 on a the PRS SE I suggest a SG Standard which from my research goes for about 999. I am usually a PRS person but the SG is a great guitar for hard rock.
gibson has a few different tiers of guitars..

special doesnt mean its better, it means they ride the billy bus.

the gibson your looking at is lower quality(gibson IMO is lower quality than PRS) than the PRS.

i say get the PRS, its a great guitar, only thing is, it sounds like no other guitar, it sounds like a PRS, you may or may not like how it sounds.
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
any guitar can play any type of music, its your amp. Your amp has the gain.

You could tune a tele low and play through a mesa recitifier and sound heavey...

Edit: Another example: You can take an acoustic-electric and play through a mesa and sound like any metal band you want to..
Guitars:
Ibanez RG350EX
ESP/LTD EC400AT

Soon to have an Ibanez RG1550M, 350M, and RG2610!!
Last edited by CKYIbanezParker at Nov 7, 2009,
the SG can definitely handle hard rock. i think it's practically made for hard rock. they've definitely proven themselves there. however, while the SG would keep you happy for quite a while, i think a quality PRS is something you'll be giving to your grandkids. meaning, something you never get rid of.

i'd go with the PRS just for the longer scale, myself. 25" scale compared to the SG's 24.75" scale. you can definitely feel the difference. i love 25" scales. doesn't get muddy tuning down a half or a whole step, and it still feels smooth as hell to fret on.

Quote by CKYIbanezParker
Edit: Another example: You can take an acoustic-electric and play through a mesa and sound like any metal band you want to..

i don't know about that. acoustic-electrics have really really really bad hum and squeal with even slight distortion. i know, i thought this would be a fun experiment. my ears almost still hurt 4 or 5 years later.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Last edited by LifeIsABullet16 at Nov 7, 2009,
Quote by hminh87
Both are very overpriced. I wouldn't recommend either one of them.

If you want SG, take a look at Tokai SG copies. A Made-in-Japan Tokai SG85 or SG95 will beat the Gibson SG Special senseless anytime. They are about the same price as Gibson, too.

word, especially in europe.

Agreed about tokai, or any other japanese copy which you can find (the tokai will be easiest to find, most likely, and you'll actually be able to try it out; plus with the current exchange rate you don't really want to be importing from japan, anyway).

With PRS, you have several other options which are likely to be better value in the UK, too- Patrick Eggle (the older ones from the 90s are more sought-after, which means going second-hand), JJ, etc. etc.

obviously if you try the gibbo or the PRS and fall in love, by all means go for them, but if you can find any of those others i mentioned, you owe it to yourself to try them.

Quote by CKYIbanezParker
Your amp has the gain.

You could tune a tele low and play through a mesa recitifier and sound heavey...

true, but the pickups affect the gain and tone a lot too. Something with EMGs or high output passive humbuckers would sound heavier than the tele.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by CKYIbanezParker
any guitar can play any type of music, its your amp. Your amp has the gain.

It's true. I play hardcore with a drop D tuning on my tele. (Four Year Strong sort of stuff) A guitar is a good start but if you play with a lot of overdrive then it's more so about the amp. That SG can handle it.
i wouldn't say it's more about the amp. if you're playing brootz you don't really want to be playing on a hollowbody, for example.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by LifeIsABullet16

i don't know about that. acoustic-electrics have really really really bad hum and squeal with even slight distortion. i know, i thought this would be a fun experiment. my ears almost still hurt 4 or 5 years later.

you need to run it into a DI box then into an ampthen it shoudl work

my friend does this live im alwways surpised when i see an acoustic with thattone

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.