I'm in need of some good strings. I've us D'adarrio strings which are good but I notice I get some unwanted buzz when using drop tunings. I used another make of strings but they lasted about 3 months then broke.

Basically I'm in need of strings that are versatile (music style wise and tuning wise) but don't brake easily.
remember kids, you can't spell bass without ass

RIP Jimmy 'The Rev' Sullivan

Quote by _bacon_

Also, I would tap Helena Bonham Carter like a Van Halen solo.
Quote by sk8nalmost1394
DR strings are the shit.

I meant good as in they last a long time. I paid more for some strings that wern't much better but lasted half the time.

Quote by _bacon_

If you want long-lasting strings, get Elixirs. I strung my SG up with some Elixir 0.09-0.42s and they've been lasting me for about a month now. No serious rusting at the moment. I used to use ernie ball's which lasted me no more than 3 weeks before rusting.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Quote by HellBoy9393
If you want long-lasting strings, get Elixirs. I strung my SG up with some Elixir 0.09-0.42s and they've been lasting me for about a month now. No serious rusting at the moment. I used to use ernie ball's which lasted me no more than 3 weeks before rusting.

I wouldn't call a month long lasting. Unless your picking too hard or not using a correct method.

I can get my strings to last 5 months sometimes and thats with lots of changing of tunings.

Quote by _bacon_

Iv heard the Zakk wylde custom 1s that r like 10- 60's i think, last a while and sound great for jazz, rock, and especially around the C# range of drop tuning
Usually buzz has more to do with the setup of the guitar. When you downtune, you're slacking the strings, giving them a lot more play than they would have in higher tunings, and that extra floppiness can create buzzing. Brand is just a personal preference in most cases (I prefer DR), but I would try going to a heavier string gauge to maintain the same tension in the drop tunings, something like a light top, heavy bottom for better tension on the low strings.

And yes, Elixirs last a long time if that's what you're looking for.
ESP LTD EC 400AT -> Boss TU-2 - > Maxon OD808 ->Boss DD20 -> BBE Sonic Stomp -> Peavey 5150 -> Marshall 1960AV.
Last edited by cjp835 at Nov 7, 2009,
Quote by WARLOCK123
I wouldn't call a month long lasting. Unless your picking too hard or not using a correct method.

I can get my strings to last 5 months sometimes and thats with lots of changing of tunings.

I meant I've had it on for a month now, but it's still going strong.

Also, I sweat a lot in my palms so that adds to the oxidation process.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Quote by HellBoy9393
I meant I've had it on for a month now, but it's still going strong.

Also, I sweat a lot in my palms so that adds to the oxidation process.

Ahh, that would explain rusting after 3 weeks.

Quote by _bacon_

Try D'addario medium tops, heavy bottoms for drop tunings, You already use D'addrio, and the thicker gauge on the lower strings should fix the buzz that you get.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
really??? I change my strings like in a month in a half at least, just because it's always good to toss some new ones on there. Iv always used GHS boomers but i got a pack of coated titanium ernie balls and they are doing fine. Idk its COMPLETELY preference. Get your guitar set up if its always buzzing. try some different strings out.
DUNLOP, they've always worked for me and stayed in tune for days. If you don't try them then you'll never know the true meaning of perfect.
Quote by cjp835
Usually buzz has more to do with the setup of the guitar. When you downtune, you're slacking the strings, giving them a lot more play than they would have in higher tunings, and that extra floppiness can create buzzing. Brand is just a personal preference in most cases (I prefer DR), but I would try going to a heavier string gauge to maintain the same tension in the drop tunings, something like a light top, heavy bottom for better tension on the low strings.

And yes, Elixirs last a long time if that's what you're looking for.

+1, the brand of strings you choose wont affect fret buzz as much as the gauge
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.