Page 1 of 3
Hey,

Lately I've seen many people say things like "I should of known this" or "He could of done that" and so on, what's up with that? Where do they even get the idea of using 'of'?! It doesn't make any sense to me! Is it a mistake that little children make or something? English isn't my mother tongue so it's quite confusing.
» Ibanez SZ520 + JB/Jazz
» Rocktron Rampage
» Vox ToneLab SE
» Laney LC15
Not sure about all accents, but in mine at least, you oftend up pronouncing should have/ should've as should of, and I suppose it's one of those things that sticks for some people. *shrugs*
I of never of thought of this if you of not told me.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by zchavez09
should've
This is the closest.

People are typing how they would say it to themselves, these days.
'Should have' (or similar) gets contracted in everyday use to 'should've' (phonetically, shood-duv). When expanded back for more formal use (in letters or talking to more important people) people mistakenly take shood-duv as the shortened form of 'should of'. Then, because 'should have' is in common usage, it is erroneously assumed that 'should of' is the correct (read: more highbrow) form.
He likes Keats but she's into Yeats - it's a matter of Romance

E-Mistress to UG's Finest Gentleman

Come away, oh human child,
To the waters and the wild
With a fairy hand in hand;
For the world's more full of weeping than you can understand.
I'm not hearing this, I'm seeing this
It's here too, this infection, in UG!
» Ibanez SZ520 + JB/Jazz
» Rocktron Rampage
» Vox ToneLab SE
» Laney LC15
They're only idiots if they write "should of" on a paper or something.

Sadly, I have seen this.
Quote by jetfuel495
that is one goddamn shiny mother****ing toaster you have there
Quote by Dog--
It seems the top of those waffles are burnt.
Quote by imdeth
The toast has little red arrows growing from it. Nobody wants that.

SHUDDUP AND EAT YER TOAST
it sounds like 'of' but it's really just the accent/slang in which they're saying

"he could 'ave known"

just basically taking the 'h' sound out, which we often do in the english language

edit: oh shit people are actually writing this!?!? r-tards!!!!!
Quote by edge11
yeah im not at gc dude, i dont live there.

||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
I realised this last week. I say 'should of'. Even spell 'should of'.

I was confused why I did it but I just put it down to dialect.
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
Quote by Nietsche
Misuse of language is what allows it to develop. Live with it.
I never saw it that way...

Maybe I should leave the grammar nazi group.
Quote by Grundy0
Never forget what really matters in life, friends and family.
Team Pale Yellow?
------m-------m------
| | (oo) | |
||(~)||

Mom <3
Quote by flabber.gast
Their are worst things... I could care less.

Obviously.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Obviously.

You missed my misuse of the superative form of bad when the comparative form would of been the appropriate one
If I were to say 'I should have picked it up earlier' I think it sounds and reads correctly.

However, I think using 'of' is wrong.

It's like when simpletons use such terms as 'We was on a winner".
Quote by flabber.gast
Their are worst things... I could care less.

This phrase makes no sense. It should be I couldn't care less. What you wrote means that you care about it, if only slightly. Also, there and worse.
hello
Last edited by opc100 at Nov 7, 2009,
Quote by opc100
This phrase makes no sense. It should be I couldn't care less. What you wrote means that you care about it, if only slightly. Also, there.

think that was his point...............
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
Quote by flabber.gast
You missed my misuse of the superative form of bad when the comparative form would of been the appropriate one

Sillybilly.
Quote by dudetheman

Some people are just ignorant and think that "should have/should've (etc)" translates to "should of". Other people probably know that it's incorrect but just say it because they're lazy. I don't like it though, "of" and "have" are different words and it sounds wrong to say "of".
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
You know what bothers me? Nother.

I say it all the time. "This is a whole nother thing we're talking about it..." and so on and so forth. I know it's incorrect and doesn't even exist (I certainly don't use it in any of my writing) but conversationally I can't keep from saying it.

Now, I know you're probably thinking "Why don't you just say 'whole other' instead? It's not that fucking hard, idiot." I think it's a regional thing. Almost everyone I know talks like that. So there ya go.
Quote by opc100
This phrase makes no sense. It should be I couldn't care less. What you wrote means that you care about it, if only slightly. Also, there and worse.

Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
I guess it's just because should've sounds like should of, and people develop the habit of saying (and thinking/spelling) should of. *shrugs*
Those who have crossed
With direct eyes, to death's other Kingdom
Remember us - if at all - not as lost
Violent souls, but only
As the hollow men
The stuffed men.
This kind of stuff used to really bother me. But it's just not that big a deal. I can just imagine how many people hundreds of years ago complained about people who misused language and were 'ruining it'. They'd shit themselves if they heard terms such as 'imma' and 'chillax'. Times change, roll with it. A lot of the things we consider correct now-a-days were considered wrong in early 20C anyway.
Last edited by aaciseric at Nov 7, 2009,
could've is the contraction for could have. it just sounds like could of.....
YEAH! ಠ_ಠ
Quote by aaciseric
This kind of stuff used to really bother me. But it's just not that big a deal. I can just imagine how many people hundreds of years ago complained about people who misused language and were 'ruining it'. They'd shit themselves if they heard terms such as 'imma' and 'chillax'. Times change, roll with it. A lot of the things we consider now-a-days were considered wrong in early 20C anyway.

exactly, languages are constantly changing. I think it's funny people actually get worked up over this kind of thing. Even worse some people seem think they are somehow superior because they speak "correctly".
Quote by Masamune
exactly, languages are constantly changing. I think it's funny people actually get worked up over this kind of thing. Even worse some people seem think they are somehow superior because they speak "correctly".

Juror #10: Bright? He's a common ignorant slob. He don't even speak good English.
Juror #11: Doesn't even speak good English.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
I make a point of correcting people when they say 'should of', mostly because I am a dickhead.
it's just an American accent thing, dude. we mean 'have' but pronounce it 'of'. so when posting on the internet some of us try to communicate our own accent accordingly
Quote by asator
YOU'RE A CUNT AND STUFF LESPAUL1216.

It's okay because whatever, forever
Quote by lespaul1216
it's just an American accent thing, dude. we mean 'have' but pronounce it 'of'. so when posting on the internet some of us try to communicate our own accent accordingly

Nope, people say it constantly in the UK.
Quote by lespaul1216

It's an accent thing, but they don't write it because they're trying to reflect their accent. They write it out of ignorance because they think the proper word actually is "of."
Quote by dudetheman

^well, you see i don't live in the UK so i didn't know that. thanks for clearing that up
Quote by asator
YOU'RE A CUNT AND STUFF LESPAUL1216.

It's okay because whatever, forever
Page 1 of 3