after reading several articles on how to power a pedal with a plug, im still confused as to whether i use an AC or DC plug and an AC or DC jack. Beavis tells me to use AC and then general gadgets tells me to use DC. wtf?

can someone clear this up for me and tell me exactly what i need to add plug power to my simple OD pedal build?

thanks
Almost all pedals use a "wall-wart" converter to turn AC into DC. Its the little box on the end of the cord you plug into the wall. It transforms AC voltage into DC voltage.

From the way it sounds you're building a pedal, and before we can tell you what you need to power your pedal, you must first tell us what your circuit requires. What voltage and what current.
Last edited by Matt420740 at Nov 7, 2009,
what about the jack? are there DC and AC jacks?

i was mainly confused by the adaptor names because i wasnt sure whether DC adaptors convert AC-DC or DC-AC. alright.

thanks man
Quote by Luxifer
what about the jack? are there DC and AC jacks?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by jack. If your talking about your wall socket, it is AC.
the jack on a pedal is a dc jack. the adapter changes ac to dc.

perhaps you should do some reading on the subject.
Quote by noisefarmer
the jack on a pedal is a dc jack. the adapter changes ac to dc.

perhaps you should do some reading on the subject.

+1

I already explained that earlier, but I don't guess the TS understood. The box on the end of the cord you plug into the wall is what converts AC to DC. Not the jack, or anything inside the pedal. Here's a boost pedal I built, and it doesn't even use a jack. The wires from the wall wart converter are run through my case, and wired straight to my circuit through a switch. Good thing about using a wall wart is that the power supply is already filtered, so thats one less thing to worry about.

Last edited by Matt420740 at Nov 7, 2009,