can anyone tell me the finish type on the LTD Alexi-200??

Cos everytime i wanna get to changing my finish, something gets in the way.
First i didnt know how to do it,
then i get lectured about the fact that im gonna ruin my guitar
now, my dads friend (who works in wood and paint and stuff) says that my finish is polyester, so sanding it will **** it up.

I just need someone to tell me what kind of finish it is, so that i can sand it then paint it as i like.

thanks guys
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
Polyester? I think you you mean polyuerthane. Polyester is used in clothes. Try projectguitar.com they have some really useful stuff on there.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
I think its poly but i searched the site and came up with nothing. try the ESP forums.

And i have never heard of sanding a poly finish and ****ing it up. What would you **** up? Your finish. Which is what your trying to accomplish.
There is a Polyester finish. It is hard...really hard. Scuff sanding and priming will be required, don't even think about being able to do a natural finish etc.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
^ polyester? wtf if that guy thinks its polyester that i would suggest you stop getting your info from him..... but its probably poly and poly sucks! (from my experience!) good luck!
Quote by savage94
^ polyester? wtf if that guy thinks its polyester that i would suggest you stop getting your info from him..... but its probably poly and poly sucks! (from my experience!) good luck!

Dude, that's Skeet UK.

He's pretty knowledgeable about guitars and especially finishing them. Helped me a lot. If I were you ... I'd google it very, very hard before saying anything.

That said, he's not necessarily perfect, just saying that he knows his stuff.

On topic: I don't think you'd **** anything up by sanding down to the wood. Maybe chemical strippers ?

Edit:

Matter of fact, take a look-see at this.

I think you'll have a hard time sanding. So like Skeet UK said, try just scuffing it, and then paint normally over it .... Hey, it makes that much easier for you ! You just jump right into the painting.
Quote by Dog
You must be able to tremolo pick like a mad man.

Quote by RinestoneCowboy
How the **** do you jerk off?

Oh yeah: I'm a French-Canadian so excuse my English .
Last edited by el toro DKiAB at Nov 7, 2009,
Quote by savage94

Poly sucks. Polyester sucks. About 8 foot thick finish.

Polyurethane rules. Thinner, but hard and glossy, less likely to kill your tone, more expensive to apply.
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Quote by el toro DKiAB
Dude, that's Skeet UK. ( )

He's pretty knowledgeable about paint. Helped me a lot. If I were you ... I'd google it very, very hard before saying anything.

That said, he's not necessarily perfect, but it's pretty likely...he knows his stuff.

Fixed!
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
Right, my bad .

Btw, quick question: I'm wet sanding. Do I pour the water over the guitar as I sand or do I just use the wet paper ? I've been doing the latter, and pretty good results, except sometimes I get small swirls when I dry the paint with a cloth ...
Quote by Dog

Quote by RinestoneCowboy

Quote by soloXshredder
can anyone tell me the finish type on the LTD Alexi-200??

Cos everytime i wanna get to changing my finish, something gets in the way.
First i didnt know how to do it,
then i get lectured about the fact that im gonna ruin my guitar
now, my dads friend (who works in wood and paint and stuff) says that my finish is polyester, so sanding it will **** it up.

I just need someone to tell me what kind of finish it is, so that i can sand it then paint it as i like.

thanks guys
If you're going to sand it anyway, you can use the remaining coat as your base and it wouldn't matter what type of finish it is, specially if it's polyester or polyurethane.

Chances are, you'll be using Acrylic lacquer on a spraycan, right? Also, you can find links to various tutorials here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=542726

Quote by el toro DKiAB
Right, my bad .

Btw, quick question: I'm wet sanding. Do I pour the water over the guitar as I sand or do I just use the wet paper ? I've been doing the latter, and pretty good results, except sometimes I get small swirls when I dry the paint with a cloth ...
I usually soak it, but when it starts drying up, I just daub my fingers in the water and apply them to the body.

Quote by Ippon
I usually soak it, but when it starts drying up, I just daub my fingers in the water and apply them to the body.

And to rinse off the water now filled with paint ... ? I can't let it dry there and I don't have a really good way of cleaning it without makings swirls. Short of sanding it under the shower or something ... .
Quote by Dog

Quote by RinestoneCowboy

Quote by el toro DKiAB
And to rinse off the water now filled with paint ... ? I can't let it dry there and I don't have a really good way of cleaning it without makings swirls. Short of sanding it under the shower or something ... .

To you and Ippon.

Wet sanding is not, moist-sanding or damp-sanding, or start-wet-and-sand-to-damp...sanding.

It's WET! sanding.

Soak the paper for 20 mins, you want luke warm water with some dish washing soap in (washing up liquid, Fairy etc).

Wrap your paper around your block (that's block, not c0ck) and sand, dip your whole hand back in the water, sand some more. You need lots of water, it shouldn't ever look anything but glassy and wet.

In another bucket/bowl, you want lukewarm clean water and a sponge. To wash off, use the sponge and water and wash off the sanding residue then dry it with a towel etc.

You should do this regularly to check progress.

Wet means WET, I do it outside for this reason. If your trousers and T Shirt aren't pretty soaked by the time you are done, you are doing it wrong Feel free to quote me on that or post in the Sex Thread
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
I usually soak it overnight to ensure the hard paper doesn't have sharp corners when wrapping it around the block. I agree you need to wash off the debris from wetsanding it; however, I never get my T-shirt that wet. I have excellent gross and fine motor skills, some don't.

Thnaks Skeet UK, that's really working well ! Pics up soon if you guys are interested in a black strat with 1 humbucker and 2 knobs
Quote by Dog

Quote by RinestoneCowboy

Quote by Ippon
I usually soak it overnight to ensure the hard paper doesn't have sharp corners when wrapping it around the block. I agree you need to wash off the debris from wetsanding it; however, I never get my T-shirt that wet. I have excellent gross and fine motor skills, some don't.

LOL!

Nah, I normally sit outside and hold the thing on my lap, depending on what it is, some stuff stays on the stand...point is...lots of wet, just like sex baby.
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani