Okay, so pretty much within about one month I'm going to find myself with about an addition $10,000 USD to my name. Therefore, I'm looking to spend some of it on an amp.

I'd prefer not to spend more than about 2K on it, just for reasons of saving for the future.

My musical tastes are all over the board. Mostly 90's alternative rock stuff, (i.e. Goo Goo Dolls, Matchbox Twenty, Third Eye Blind) with some Bon Jovi, a little Nickelback, and some classic rock, (Zeppelin, Eagles, Doors), oh and throw in some John Mayer and Santana, while I'm at it.

So, currently my lineup of amps features a Crate V18 which I purchased for barely anything, I think it was 150 shipped. I also purchased recent a Peavey Vypyr 75. I play most weekends in church settings which require a lot of versatility in tone, so the Vypyr is perfect for that.

So, I'm looking for something right now that's a little different than what I currently have. I'm not exactly sure how to describe it, but I am seriously considering a Ceriatone Overtone Special. Anyone have any thoughts on this one?

Other ideas I'm thinking of are a used Mesa Mark IV, or something along those lines. I apologize that I can't really define what I want in an amp, except to give you all those two amps to go off of.

I guess I'm looking for something with a great, smooth overdrive that I can boost with a pedal to get just barely to alternative rock "land"... think Goo Goo Dolls and Matchbox Twenty for the heaviest that I'd want to go. Also I want pretty good cleans. An FX loop would be preferred, though it's not necessary. Also, it can be one, two, or however many channels. And I'd prefer a head, but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks everyone for reading the novel I just wrote.
Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
CA Blade Electric
PRS Santana SE
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Carlo Robelli Jumbo A/E

Fulltone Fulldrive2
EHX Small Clone
Buddha Wah
Ibanez AD9 Delay
Ibanez Vintage EQ

Crate V18-112
Peavey Vypyr 75
Roland MicroCube
No more than $2,000 for just a head, or for head and cab? Because if that's just the head, you might like the Mesa Mark V
How about a Ceriatone Plexi or something
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
You could get the tone I think you're looking for with a ridiculous amount of amps, it's not very demanding (at least the idea of it I have in my head). If you want to go all out, and you have the money for it, I'd concur the Mesa Mk IV, or preferably the Mk V if you can.

EDIT: my advice would be to go and try a heap of amps out at a store, maybe figure out what amps those bands you mentioned have used and start there?
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Last edited by James13v at Nov 7, 2009,
LukeBTH -- $2000 for just a head. I wasn't sure of the street price for the Mark V, hence I didn't put it up there... but it's a definite possibility.

I kind of want to stay away from the whole Plexi idea... granted, amazing amps, and if I'm contradicting myself with my tones that I want and not wanting a Plexi, let me know. I'm still just not totally sure what I'm looking for, here... hence I'm asking for ideas and opinions of other amps to try.

The reason I mentioned the Ceriatone Overtone Special is because I heard it and fell in love with its sound. I know people say that it's not for everyone... does anyone have any info on it beyond harmony central and the ceriatone website? Thanks in advance for the quick replies.
Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
CA Blade Electric
PRS Santana SE
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Carlo Robelli Jumbo A/E

Fulltone Fulldrive2
EHX Small Clone
Buddha Wah
Ibanez AD9 Delay
Ibanez Vintage EQ

Crate V18-112
Peavey Vypyr 75
Roland MicroCube
I'd go with a JCM800. Decent price, and it would be perfect for the stuff you say you play.
A Vox AC30 or AC50 would be perfect for you! I'm considering getting a small AC myself for practicing in my apartment.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.