Poll: Yay, nay or obligatory joke answer?
Poll Options
View poll results: Yay, nay or obligatory joke answer?
Yay. The news should be neutral.
142 86%
Nay. The news should not be neutral
11 7%
olololol i r gud coz i can joke
13 8%
Voters: 166.
Page 1 of 2
Definitely.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
it should be. I'd like to find some that is.
I'd rather know what is happening, not why the other side is wrong for it.
Yes it should be but sadly it will never happen. People will still give their opinions without even realizing it.
Gear:
Electric
Yamaha RGX520
Fender Strat HSS

Acoustic
1952 Martin and Co 00-18.
Yamaha FGX730SCA

Amp
Fender Twin Reverb
Fender Amp FM25 DSP

Pedals
Boss DS-1
The news tries to be neutral, such as the BBC. But they get bum raped by Labour if they shine poor light on them.

Just think about the David Gilligan saga, and the Hutton claims and the death of David Kelly.

Also the royal charter for the BBC is defined through who is in parliament at the time. Labour run the BBC, and if the BBC do anything wrong Labour has their balls on dangling string.
I said no. The only neutral news is on CSPAN, which I highly recommend. No broadcasters, just congress floor.

I don't think people are really capable of effective non biased news. That's why I voted no. As long as they try to represent other viewpoints as well.
Quote by byob_soad2
it should be. I'd like to find some that is.
I'd rather know what is happening, not why the other side is wrong for it.

this...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Quote by captaincrunk
I said no. The only neutral news is on CSPAN, which I highly recommend. No broadcasters, just congress floor.

I don't think people are really capable of effective non biased news. That's why I voted no. As long as they try to represent other viewpoints as well.

TS asked whether it should or shouldn't be, not if it is or could be.

I surprisingly went with yes.
Definately, it's nice to have certain broadcasters who give views, but you need something like the BBC or ITV aswell.
If the general population was capable of making their own decisions and forming their own opinions, then I'd say yes. In practice, a little bit of bias here and there can go a long way towards understanding what goes on behind the scenes, provided the viewer is exposed to different biases.
Yes it should be. Doesn't mean you can't have shows with an obvious slant on them, but they should be relegated to "talk show" like formats, as opposed to pawning themselves off as news programming.
My Gear

Fender MIM Telecaster
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Ibanez PF Acoustic Electric

Vox AC4TV8
Crate FXT 65

Various pedals
Of course the news should be neutral.
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
Quote by frankv
TS asked whether it should or shouldn't be, not if it is or could be.

I surprisingly went with yes.

I don't think CSPAN style news is adequate on its own. That's why I voted "No", along with the other reasons I gave.
Yay, and the BBC usually is, even though sometimes their attempts to be neutral means they can annoy large groups of people (eg. the gaza aid advert, the BNP on question time.)

Quote by Spoonman69
Rap is music,far better than metal for example. id much rather hear about hoes and anal sex than dragons and supressed homosexuality.
Quote by aaciseric
Definately, it's nice to have certain broadcasters who give views, but you need something like the BBC or ITV aswell.

All the major news stations are slaves to what the powers want. The british bullshitting corperation is no different.
Quote by captaincrunk

No need to represent news. The best news is just the facts. I've seen incredibly biased newspapers give excellent coverage of something on one page (where they just report the facts) and then terribly biased coverage of the exact same event on their editorials section. News should consist of the first one only, ideally.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Zoot Allures
All the major news stations are slaves to what the powers want. The british bullshitting corperation is no different.

hello
Well, the news should be neutral, so I'll say yes. However, I don't think it's possible for a new network to be truly objective. They are human beings, after all.

Besides, the news is more concerned about profit than it is about reporting. That's half the reason it's so sensationalist. Also, objective reporting would require lots of time and money, something that the news networks won't invest in the daily news.

I get my news from independent journalists. They tend to be more objective, if not completely objective.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
No need to represent news. The best news is just the facts. I've seen incredibly biased newspapers give excellent coverage of something on one page (where they just report the facts) and then terribly biased coverage of the exact same event on their editorials section. News should consist of the first one only, ideally.

I think I would have better served the Pit community if I had said that non biased commentary seems impossible, especially in a television setting. Even choosing what to report would be biased.

And as far as "Just the facts" goes, CSPAN has it locked.
Quote by Zoot Allures
Yeah man anything that disagrees with the government on anything is a load of crap made up by people wearing tin foil hats

Hey, don't blame me, blame the Reptilians.
hello
American news broadcasters are shockingly biased. We have the tabloids here for middle-aged housewives to natter over on the bus, but the BBC is so well funded it doesn't need to be so attention-grabbing and whoring to advertisers like a lot of US news channels.
Quote by blue_strat
American news broadcasters are shockingly biased. We have the tabloids here for middle-aged housewives to natter over on the bus, but the BBC is so well funded it doesn't need to be so attention-grabbing and whoring to advertisers like a lot of US news channels.

Does it have adverts at all?
Quote by captaincrunk
Does it have adverts at all?

They only advertise their own shows. No one pays them to show thier products during breaks.
Quote by aaciseric
They only advertise their own shows. No one pays them to show thier products during breaks.

Sounds like something that could be good. I've seen several documentaries from the BBC.

What makes CSPAN great is it isn't even funded by the government. It's funded by all of the news organizations, and the founder and people who run it have refused to do anything but show congress floor and other things like that.
Quote by SomeEvilDude
God no. With enemies you know where you stand, but with neutrals. . . who knows? It sickens me.

"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
News does not necessarily have to be neutral - facts are by definition objective, but are always prey to subjective use. The key is the consumer being always cynical and sceptical when reading anything - always ask yourself why someone us saying something. This kind of subjective evaluation of news, I believe, is infinitely more rewarding than bare fact.

Indeed, it could be argued that there is no such thing as neutrality.
Last edited by Kumanji at Nov 7, 2009,
No, because then Colbert and Stewart would be taken off the air.
What's that? That's not real news? Lies!
Page 1 of 2