My dad is a big prog head (Marillion, Arena, Porcupine Tree, Riverside)

I'm looking to get some bands CD's for him that he hasnt heard much of before.

I was thinking of getting him a Dream Theater CD but wasn't sure which one, maybe Images and Words?

So my question to you is, What other bands fits my dad's style that he would like?

Thanks
Quote by gjvx
Damn you Spicer001, I'll get you for this...

[GT]Spicer001 of the UG Gaming Force
Your dad is awesome. Yes, The Mahavishnu Orchestra, Ayreon, Emerson, Lake, & Palmer?
When you have the power, what can't you do?

Quote by KirkMetallica
[IMG]http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs42/f/2009/066/c/2/RAEG_TIME_ID_by_Nidaime_San.jpg[/IMG]

Go, Raeg at the yuppies.
I would suggest some Yes, perhaps some early Journey? and as far as Dream Theater goes, my favorite album is Metropolis Pt.2,scenes from a memory.
Images and Words is a brilliant album, although I personnaly liked eaxh Dream Theater album I've heard. A general rule for them seems to be that Train of Thought to present is a bit less proggy and heavier, before that it was the other way round. As for some other bands...Tool, Pink Floyd, Bigelf and Freak Kitchen (I think they count as prog in one form or another, but I could be wrong. Still like them either way).
Obligatory gear list
Guitars
Ibanez SZ4020 w/BKP Miracle Man set
Cort X-11 w/EMG 85+81
Tanglewood TSB58 HB w/BKP Nailbomb & Cold Sweat
Epiphone SG Prophecy w/Seymour Duncan/Ibz
Basses
Indie Swamp 4
Ibanez BTB 775 PB
Amps
Engl Screamer 50
Between the buried and me
there amazing all cd's are good but buy him colors its absoutly breath taking
King Crimson.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
He might like Coheed and Cambria
last.fm
Quote by rockhard182
*opens happytimeharrys head* *finds nothing*

what a ripoff

Member #18 of the "Claudio Sanchez is God" Club. PM stepco12345 to join!
Bands: Pink Floyd, Tool, Dream Theater, The Mars Volta.

Albums: The Wall, Lateralus, Scenes from a Memory, Frances the Mute.
Thanks for the advice guys, I think I'll get him Scenes from a Memory. We are also seeing Pendragon in December and the support band Sylvan is really good, so if he likes that I might buy their CD for him.
Quote by gjvx
Damn you Spicer001, I'll get you for this...

[GT]Spicer001 of the UG Gaming Force
Quote by Spicer001
Thanks for the advice guys, I think I'll get him Scenes from a Memory. We are also seeing Pendragon in December and the support band Sylvan is really good, so if he likes that I might buy their CD for him.
That's a good album, but if I were you i'd invest the money in The Mars Volta. A lot better IMO (listen to some songs from both albums on YouTube before you buy though)
Ah, as far as lesser known bands go, I suggest Camel. "Nude" and "Moonmadness" are amazing albums. Then, you have the standard array of prog such as Gryphon, Zebra, ELP, Queensryche, Renaissance, anything with Steve Howe, Frank Zappa, King Crimson, Estradasphere, etc.

But, my favorite prog band of all time is Magma. They're a little out there, but their music is some of the most intricate, well designed stuff you'll ever wish to create.
LOL