I have a schecter c-1 fr and I am wondering if the duncan designed pickups i have on it are any good. I play lots of heavy metal and a few clean riffs here and there( I know that actives arent the best at cleans but I am willing to give a little).

I was thinking of switching to emgs but Idk.

also, Idk if i should get a new amp. I have that crap line 6 spider iii 15 gc scammed me into and I am looking for a good tube amp. somewhere around like 300.
Don't bother changing your pickups yet. Save your money for a better amp than what $300 could buy. The Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 is very promising.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
the duncan designed PUPs are meh, but theyre pretty darn good, you shouldnt really be using actives through a SS modelling amp anyways...

active pickups are meant to intessify the signal the pickups pickup and amplify it before it gets to the power amp section of a tube amp, pushing the tubes more and giving you a heavier hotter sound,

i say save up more and il get back to you with amp choices, but there is a gear for metal thread floating around, its pretty indepth and amazing, kudos to WTF!isaTAB and anyone that helped him out
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
There is no use swapping pickups when playing through a Spider. Get yourself a good amp. The Duncan Designed pickups are supposed to be an exact replica of the real deal. Built to the same exact specifications, just built in Korea instead of the US to save on cost.
Get a new amp first, the spider III won't let the pickup characteristics come out properly anyway.
WTLTL 2011
is this a joke? new amp
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
is this a joke? new amp

Wow, thanks. I was asking for which one I should get, not a remark like this.

Anyway, I guess I will start getting a new amp. Looking for a tube amp that will be great for practicing and gigging. Price isn't a limit(scratch the 300 limit i had).
what genres do you play (heavy metal isn't very illuminating)? willing to buy used?

pretty much read my sig and respond
DOESN'T REALLY CARE ABOUT RON WILSON
By metal I mean thrash, metalcore, like pantera and metallica to killswitch engage.

So I dig the scooped eqs and pretty high gain(Not too much gain were i constantly get feed back, but just enough to melt a face playing a solo)

Sorry fer teh kwestions but how are the Metal muffs? I saw a clip on youtube and was very impressed.

Budget for amp: 400-500
Last edited by (0_o) at Nov 7, 2009,
Quote by (0_o)
Wow, thanks. I was asking for which one I should get, not a remark like this.

Anyway, I guess I will start getting a new amp. Looking for a tube amp that will be great for practicing and gigging. Price isn't a limit(scratch the 300 limit i had).

Just got a Blackheart Handsome Devil Combo myself. Couldn't be happier. You'll need an OD for metal though...

EDIT: Just saw your bands there. Maybe the Devil wouldn't be for you without a metal muff or something similar. The amp would suit calssic metal and heavy rock better, even cranked with an OD, it's not really voiced for modern metal.
Gear:

Is what some junkies refer to heroin as. For me it's just loads of wires and good sturdy housing, but just as addictive.
Last edited by gerardwayne at Nov 7, 2009,
The 50w Valveking?
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
If price is no option, go with a Peavey Triple XXX or 6505. You can find the XXX used for like 500 or the 6505 for about 6-700. They're both great for metal, the 6505 more so, but the XXX has much better cleans. If you don't want to go used, the 6505 has a 112 combo for about 600.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
I'd look into a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 or a used Peavey 5150/6505 (same amp, different name). Bugera 333, 333XL, 6260, 6262 are also good options, but are unreliable.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30