Poll: UG Book Club: Vote for the book you'd like to read *Descriptions below*
Poll Options
View poll results: UG Book Club: Vote for the book you'd like to read *Descriptions below*
Slaughterhouse-Five
36 23%
The Crying of Lot 49
8 5%
Insomnia
15 10%
Catch-22
29 19%
Blood Meridian: Or the Evening Redness in the West
4 3%
The Stranger
7 5%
House of Leaves
24 16%
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey to the Heart of the American Dream
31 20%
Voters: 154.
Page 1 of 2
Voting will end in two days.

Slaughterhouse-Five
by Kurt Vonnegut

Kurt Vonnegut's absurdist classic Slaughterhouse-Five introduces us to Billy Pilgrim, a man who becomes unstuck in time after he is abducted by aliens from the planet Tralfamadore. In a plot-scrambling display of virtuosity, we follow Pilgrim simultaneously through all phases of his life, concentrating on his (and Vonnegut's) shattering experience as an American prisoner of war who witnesses the firebombing of Dresden.

The Crying of Lot 49
by Thomas Pynchon

The highly original satire about Oedipa Maas, a woman who finds herself enmeshed in a worldwide conspiracy, meets some extremely interesting characters, and attains a not inconsiderable amount of self knowledge.

Insomnia
by Stephen King

Ralph Roberts hasn't been sleeping well lately. Every morning he wakes just a little bit earlier until pretty soon, he isn't sleeping at all. It wouldn't be so bad if not for the strange hallucinations--and the nightmares that keep coming to life.

Catch-22
by Joseph Heller

At the heart of Catch-22 resides the incomparable, malingering bombardier, Yossarian, a hero endlessly inventive in his schemes to save his skin from the horrible chances of war. His efforts are perfectly understandable because as he furiously scrambles, thousands of people he hasn't even met are trying to kill him. His problem is Colonel Cathcart, who keeps raising the number of missions the men must fly to complete their service. Yet if Yossarian makes any attempts to excuse himself from the perilous missions that he is committed to flying, he is trapped by the Great Loyalty Oath Crusade, the hilariously sinister bureaucratic rule from which the book takes its title: a man is considered insane if he willingly continues to fly dangerous combat missions, but if he makes the necessary formal request to be relieved of such missions, the very act of making the request proves that he is sane and therefore ineligible to be relieved.

Blood Meridian: Or the Evening Redness in the West
by Cormac McCarthy

An epic novel of the violence and depravity that attended America's westward expansion, Blood Meridian brilliantly subverts the conventions of the Western novel and the mythology of the "wild west." Based on historical events that took place on the Texas-Mexico border in the 1850s, it traces the fortunes of the Kid, a fourteen-year-old Tennessean who stumbles into the nightmarish world where Indians are being murdered and the market for their scalps is thriving.

The Stranger
by Albert Camus

A young Algerian, Meursault, afflicted with a sort of aimless inertia, becomes embroiled in the petty intrigues of a local pimp and, somewhat inexplicably, ends up killing a man. Once he's imprisoned and eventually brought to trial, his crime, it becomes apparent, is not so much the arguably defensible murder he has committed as it is his deficient character. The trial's proceedings are absurd, a parsing of incidental trivialities--that Meursault, for instance, seemed unmoved by his own mother's death and then attended a comic movie the evening after her funeral are two ostensibly damning facts--so that the eventual sentence the jury issues is both ridiculous and inevitable.

House of Leaves
by Mark Z. Danielewski

A photographer decides to create a film document of his family moving into a new home. The project runs smoothly until the interior dimensions of the house turn out to be larger than the exterior. Over time, a maze of passageways appear and disappear, perhaps inhabited by an unseen malevolent creature. Equipped with cameras, a team tries to explore the shifting labyrinth, but they are forced out after the expedition proves deadly. But what they have managed to film is a critical success, generating thousands of pages of analysis. Years later, a trunk of these documents fall into the hands of a young man after the curious death of a neighbor. He finds that the dimensions of his own life may not be as fixed as he once imagined, and that he might also be pursued by an unknown entity.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey to the Heart of the American Dream
by Hunter S. Thompson

Under the pseudonym of Raoul Duke, Thompson travels with his Samoan attorney, Dr. Gonzo, in a souped-up convertible dubbed the "Great Red Shark." In its trunk, they stow "two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half-full of cocaine and a whole galaxy of multicolored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers.... A quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budweiser, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls," which they manage to consume during their short tour. On assignment from a sports magazine to cover "the fabulous Mint 400"--a free-for-all biker's race in the heart of the Nevada desert--the drug-a-delic duo stumbles through Vegas in hallucinatory hopes of finding the American dream (two truck-stop waitresses tell them it's nearby, but can't remember if it's on the right or the left). They of course never get the story, but they do commit the only sins in Vegas: "burning the locals, abusing the tourists, terrifying the help." For Thompson to remember and pen his experiences with such clarity and wit is nothing short of a miracle; an impressive feat no matter how one feels about the subject matter.

Note: All descriptions were taken off Amazon so forgive me for some being longer than others.

Edit: For anyone who doesn't already know, the link for the original UG Book Club is Here

Also, anyone who wants to join the club can find the link for the UG Book Club Group in my sig or just click Here
It was a graveyard smash.
Last edited by C. Limon at Nov 8, 2009,
Slaughterhouse Five is such an amazing book.

Failing that, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is pretty good and would probably be popular at UG.
Quote by rebelmidget
I do believe you just used Blink 182 and hard rock in the same sentence. It would seem you're rather confused.
I have a quote in my signature! And it makes fun of blink-182! I'm cool now!

[Obligatory link to my band's MySpace]
I just read Slaugherhouse-Five a few months ago and Catch-22 a little before that, and those are the only books that seem to be getting votes.

I wouldn't mind rereading Catch-22, though.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
I haven't read House of Leaves, that sounds interesting.

But if that doesn't get any votes (most likely will not), Slaughterhouse-Five is an amazing book as well.
Last edited by thewho65 at Nov 7, 2009,
I voted Fear and Loathing, but Catch-22 is amazing as well. Actually, almost any of those books would be good.
I voted Lot 49, since I'm a cheapass and I'm currently reading it. And because I suggested it. I wouldn't mind Catch-22, either, since I tried reading it almost three years ago, and couldn't understand the nonlinearity, but since I'm a pomo whore now, I think I could dig it if I read it now.
I'd be happy to read any of them, but I doubt I'd be able to get a copy of House of Leaves anywhere without buying it, and because of my inherent generosity, all of my money's going towards Christmas presents right now.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
The Stranger FTW.
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
I know Blood Meridian really well, so that would save me a lot of time, but I'm gonna go for something I've not read and pick House of Leaves.
Slaughterhouse five, I've been meaning to read that one.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I got a quarterof the way through House of Leaves and realised if I turn one more page it'd would surely drive me insane. I haven't been able to read any more of it.
Quote by michal23
I got a quarterof the way through House of Leaves and realised if I turn one more page it'd would surely drive me insane. I haven't been able to read any more of it.

Because of the content being so haunting or because you hated it?
It was a graveyard smash.
Im going to vote Slaughterhouse-5, but I did JUST finish reading Les Etrangers (The Strangers) in french class and I enjoyed it a lot as well, but in the beginning it was a bit slow.

My two cents anyhow.
Dont sig me, bro!

Quote by Unourrit01
i love you.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lulstack?
Quote by genghisgandhi
Any Kurt Vonnegut book is cool

Truth.

I read most of them, but I lost my copy of whatever the one that featured Ice-9 was.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Insomnia!!! I've read it and it's really good. one of my favorite books.
why isn't Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo in here?
Quote by brandon369852
lolworthy- classicrockboy WIN of thread.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
~ Jimi Hendrix

UG Backing Track Band
UG Rock Opera
Check out my songs for it

Currently e-single. Hit me up ladies
Interesting, my two favorite books (Catch-22 & Slaughterhouse Five) are on there.
1992 Ibanez S540 sol
1988? Kramer Pacer Mutt
Quote by classicrockboy
why isn't Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo in here?

Because we already nominated the books for this month.
I voted and want in on this book club. original thread? how do I join
GO Islanders!

J!E!T!S! JETS JETS JETS!!!!!
im not fussed on the book, ill read it no matter what. also guys remember to join the group, its in my sig.
and c.limon, welcome to group mod-hood
Quote by neopowell
That would be amazing. "I WILL BURN EVERYTHING!" *Garrigan appears with bucket* "Fuck this for a giggle, I'm outta here..."

Blog?
follow me
KURT VONNEGUTTT
not his best, but whatever
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
I'm not fully sure if I'll participate this month, provided Slaughterhouse-5 wins. I dunno, since I have Norwegian Wood in line after Lot 49 is done.
Voted House of Leaves.

Slaughterhouse 5 sounds good and I still haven't read Fear and Loathing. The Stephen King one sounds good too.
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
Voted Catch-22, coz it looks good on Wikipedia.

EDIT: Actually, I think I might wanna read House of Leaves first...
Last edited by denfilade at Nov 8, 2009,
Quote by woodenbandman
Truth.

I read most of them, but I lost my copy of whatever the one that featured Ice-9 was.

Cat's Cradle
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
I didn't vote for it, but I think Cormac McCarthy would be a wise decision. He's one of the few modern writers I really like.
Quote by JMack
Are you asking if midgets can draw people that are themselves smaller than the average person, or if midget drawings in general are smaller?
Last edited by faint_spirit at Nov 8, 2009,
Hmm, I've read Slaughterhouse-5 before, and I've just started on 2666, which is shaping up to be one of the best things I've ever read. And I've got a ton of reading for uni, so I might give this one a miss.

Also, how come Blood Meridian only has one vote? It's amazing.
Page 1 of 2