Page 5 of 6
Totally agree. Steph's obsession with eight strings has almost redefined them. It might be a lot harder to escape that frame now that they're in it unless they drop it entirely. It sounds too 'djent' in places, as did Diamond Eyes. There was a warmth with Saturday Night Wrist that was very ethereal and atmospheric, and the self-titled was pure rawness and heaviness. Diamond Eyes' production didn't connect as deeply with me.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
Totally agree. Steph's obsession with eight strings has almost redefined them. It might be a lot harder to escape that frame now that they're in it unless they drop it entirely. It sounds too 'djent' in places, as did Diamond Eyes. There was a warmth with Saturday Night Wrist that was very ethereal and atmospheric, and the self-titled was pure rawness and heaviness. Diamond Eyes' production didn't connect as deeply with me.

You're spot on with your descriptions of each album. Diamond Eyes is a good album but it felt a bit to "samey" to me. I never thought to attribute it to the 8-string djent. It's a valid point. One thing I thought was noticeably absent was "that one stand-out track," that was Team Sleepish. White Pony had RX Queen, S/T had Lucky You, and Saturday Night Wrist had Pink Cellphone. I know these can be some of the most unpopular tracks, but they always felt like a defining element of sorts.

I'm hoping that they simply picked the most accessible track to go public with first. The band has been talking about songs with drastically changing dynamics. And Chino's side projects have always played a significant role in the band's evolution. With Palms in the works, maybe they might head in a more ambient post-rock direction. I'm such a big fan of these guys that I wouldn't be disappointed at all if they took a route I didn't like. But I'm going to be very let down if this album feels like Diamond Eyes B-sides.
My album preferences go as such:

Deftones
White Pony
Around The Fur
Adrenaline
Saturday Night Wrist
B Side & Rarities
Diamond Eyes
Glad to see some love for the Self Titled. I think it's underrated even by it's fans. That being said, White Pony will always be number 1 for me. But's it's just for personal reasons. It was released during a very difficult period in my life and there were days where losing myself in tracks like Change, Digital Bath, Passenger, and Knife Party put the world on hold just for a few minutes.

White Pony
Deftones
Around The Fur
Saturday Night Wrist
Adrenaline
B Sides and Rarities
Diamond Eyes

I can't call Diamond Eyes "bad" by any measure of the word. But every other album seems to have it's place and it's time where it just feels born of the moment. They're like gemstones: each one is valuable for it's own quality. Diamond Eyes feels like a $100 bill.
Their new whole album is streaming online right now. Its amazing
@HeWent2Jared_
I'm digging this
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
The album is so bloody good.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car

bring back UG classic
I'm liking it so far, a little better than Diamond Eyes, but I'm still not diggin' Steph's tone too much. It makes everything sound like a djent record. Hopefully it'll grow on me.
Quote by StringAssassin
Yeah, I heard they were amazing and Chino was skinny again.

He was rather tubby for a bit. I saw them on the tour with Alice in Chains and Mastodon. I was shocked by how fit he looked. And they ALL sounded great.
I cant wait to own the new album!

Also I notice a few people commenting on Diamond Eyes and I find that quite interesting due to the fact I consider Diamond Eyes to be among the few of my 'perfect' albums, the ones I can listen to all the way through without skipping/overlooking a song and one I can listen to a rediculous amount of times and not get bored!
Maybe its because aside from hearing My own summer and Be quiet and drive I'd never heard any other stuff by Deftones before?
Quote by slayer_rule_\m/
I cant wait to own the new album!

Also I notice a few people commenting on Diamond Eyes and I find that quite interesting due to the fact I consider Diamond Eyes to be among the few of my 'perfect' albums, the ones I can listen to all the way through without skipping/overlooking a song and one I can listen to a rediculous amount of times and not get bored!
Maybe its because aside from hearing My own summer and Be quiet and drive I'd never heard any other stuff by Deftones before?
I discovered Deftones in 2006, around the time of Saturday Night Wrist. I started chronologically with Adrenaline and gradually worked my way up from there. I think that was the best way to do it. My favourite two albums were White Pony and Deftones. That was, in my opinion, their career high point. They had dropped much of the hip-hop and punk influences, which I was still a massive fan of, and became more atmospheric and modernized, particularly in the self-titled record. That was their heaviest album, too.

You probably know a different side to Deftones.

The same can be said for those who were teenagers when Adrenaline and the early demos came out. Deftones lost a lot of hardcore fans when the self-titled record came out, as they saw it as such a huge departure from what they were used to. I'm not surprised, really, as the differences are huge. They sound like different bands.

I fell for the self-titled album because it was the most angry since Adrenaline. I was at that early stage in my adulthood when I needed to release a lot of aggression. Adrenaline worked well, but it was steeped in traditions and cultures I wasn't akin to—punk and hip-hop. Although I'm now a huge hip-hop fan, at the time I couldn't consider myself an...'Adrenaline junky', so to speak.
Koi No Yokan is so damn good. Entombed is so beautiful, Tempest has a great modern rock feel to it, and Leathers makes me cream in my pants every single time. Dat scream. I'm about 4-5 full listens in right now, and it's really starting to click with me. Just need to identify with Rosemary and Goon Squad a bit more.

I'm surprised about all the comparisons it's drawn to White Pony... I love both albums, but honestly I don't see it. WP was just absolute unbridled aggression. KNY just feels like the next logical step from Diamond Eyes, but feels even more polished than that record. I feel like they're starting to lose their aggression and focus on atmosphere and Chino's clean vocals much more. Which is fine by me.
Good Squad has really grown on me.

It doesn't sound anything like White Pony to me. I agree with your sentiments totally.
Hi guys,

I discovered Deftones thanks to the Metal Hammer Podcast (does anybody else listen to it?) and I started with Diamond Eyes. I was hooked immediately! I've listened to the new one and I love it! Which album should I check out next?
If you liked Diamond Eyes then check out the new one, Koi No Yokan. It's basically the same thing but better. Then check out White Pony. That's their quintessential album for many.
Agreed. I really feel that if they don't release it soon, it's because they've decided to never release it.
I was actually thinking about that earlier today. I think they should do it. Either they have to do it now or they do it like 6 months after they break up. But hopefully the second option will be in a long, long time, so they should do it now.
they really should release eros

have like a whole chi tribute thing in it

that would be cool

goddamn it i'm sad
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
They should most definitely release Eros now. What better way to pay tribute to Chi than to let his fans hear his final work? Perhaps they could even mix the bass just a little bit higher in the mix than normal.

On a bit of a side topic, where are the cover songs they recorded with Koi No Yokan? I'm dying to hear them.
This isn't coincidence
there's no such
thing
alright so Around The Fur is the perfect Deftones album, even as much as i like the s/t

yes, even with bong hit and the ~20 minutes of silence between MX and Damone

you know it's true guys

ATF is perfect
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
SHOVE IT SHOVE IT SHOVE IT

da nana na nana na nananana
da nana na nana na nananana!

SHOVE IT SHOVE IT SHOVE IT!

>_>!
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
Quote by whywefight
would anyone else like to see Eros released in tribute to Cheng in the next few months?
Yes, that would be awesome. I thought I had a leaked copy of the demos, but it appears I don't.
Sweeeet

Although Chino didn't sound 100% about it in the quotes in there.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
id love to see what Eros sounds like. i believe eros was the time stephen just started experimentin wit 8 stringers so im sure the album sounds completely different from DE and NKY... cant wait till its release
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
That riff in Kimdracula

I've been loving Deftones so much lately. Driving, cooking, sexing, chilling. I even fall asleep to their music sometimes. Fucking amazing band.
This isn't coincidence
there's no such
thing