Hey hey...

I've been playing guitar for about... 5 years I guess, and we've just got a load of money through, I play things like Cream, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, The Who, alot of heavier 60's things.

And I'm thinking about getting a Gibson SG, but I am slightly curious about whether to get a Fender Strat or Tele...

My budget is about.. like £800 tops?

Can somebody tell me about the different SG's, or whether I should consider a Fender?

Cheers
Bands I've Seen

Robert Randolph and The Family Band
Eric Clapton
Letz Zep
Arc Angels
Eric Clapton (At the Royal Albert Hall ;D)
Joe Bonamassa
Eric Clapton & Jeff Beck (at the O2 arena ;D)
The Bootleg Beatles
have you thought of gibson LP?
LP owners unite!
Boss OD3
Quote by Cahir
have you thought of gibson LP?

He's got an Epi LP, so I wouldn't recommend the Gibson LP Studio, myself.
I have a marshall MG 15 CDR, which is horrible, but I can upgrade an amp in time, and yeah, I've thought of the LP, but can you get them in my budget?
Bands I've Seen

Eric Clapton
Letz Zep
Arc Angels
Joe Bonamassa
The Bootleg Beatles
Stick with an SG. You can just about find one for that money or you could go used. Beatles stuff sounds ok on about anything and the rest will be best suited to an SG.
A good clean amp will help, of course.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Okay thanks
Bands I've Seen

Eric Clapton
Letz Zep
Arc Angels
Joe Bonamassa
The Bootleg Beatles
but an SG sounds a bit like an LP, more than a fender does anyway so for a more varied sound id get a strat or a tele
if you play alot of classic rock, the SG is the way to go. If you play some old hard rock or metal when it first started then get the strat.

I always thought of the sg as a southern rock guitar...
Guitars:
Ibanez RG350EX
ESP/LTD EC400AT

Soon to have an Ibanez RG1550M, 350M, and RG2610!!
i like the telecaster, you could go MIM and upgrade your amp
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
I think that you should get both! I have an SG and a Tele, and I wouldn't be able to pick one if I had to. Obviously you can't get both right now, but just keep that in mind. You will need to buy both eventually, that's just the way life works. It's totally worth it, though.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
SG for sure. I have never found a Tele I liked in any way, shape or form. The ones that are HH are not bad but I still do not think they hold a candle to an SG and they are as ugly as sin.

SGs are great guitars I have owned a couple dozen over the years I still thing they come in second compared to a Les Paul but not by much.

John
^^ Tbqh mate looks are subjective, i love the look of a tele...but only if its in a non-standard colour (i.e. not candy red/black. idont mind sunburst)

but for what your looking for TS, and SG would be a step in the right direction. But definately take time to try out afew different stlyes. Strats, Teles, maybe a PRS would suit you well
| Call me Matt. | | I like music. |
Quote by westdyolf
i like the telecaster, you could go MIM and upgrade your amp

^Do this.

If you already have a les paul, then you may aswell get a telecaster because they're basically the opposites of each other, tonally. An SG will sound extremely similar to the guitar you have atm so there wouldn't be much point imo. Also, you'll have like £500 left for a really nice amp which contributes to your the most, anyway.
i think the SG is your best bet, too. the three you might want to look around for would be the faded (cheapest) the special (next cheapest) and standard (most expensive).

the faded and special are pretty close in their quality and features, so i would go for a faded (so long as you don't mind the natural finish on it). the standard has pickup covers, different inlays, and supposedly higher grade wood. i don't know about the wood gibson uses though. might have different pickups, but i don't think it does.

and SG's are really great all-around guitars, i think! i know lots of people would agree. switching pickups and some tone tweaking and you've really got just about any sound you could want.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Gibsons and Fenders feel really different, personally i prefer the feel of fenders, strats especially. Better Value with fenders as well. Single Coils will be great for that crunchy classic rock stuff
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
I just had another couple of thunks!
You COULD get a Vintage 'The Fool' SG which was used by Harrison and Clapton.
Or.
Tim Ellis has built ten Fat Strats with Mahogany bodies and Maple caps. Specify your pickups etc. His guitars are always silly cheap for what you get.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Lurcher
I just had another couple of thunks!
You COULD get a Vintage 'The Fool' SG which was used by Harrison and Clapton.
Or.
Tim Ellis has built ten Fat Strats with Mahogany bodies and Maple caps. Specify your pickups etc. His guitars are always silly cheap for what you get.

I would love The Fool, I thought about it, is there a tone difference between another SG, or is it just the design? And are there like any shops that would have one in to try it out?

And thanks everybody else for your answers :]
Bands I've Seen

Eric Clapton
Letz Zep
Arc Angels
Joe Bonamassa
The Bootleg Beatles
^based on the vintages i've tried, there's no way in hell i'd be paying £800 for one. Far as i'm aware (could be wrong), it's just a bog standard vintage (i.e. decent value acceptable beginner to intermediate quality guitar) with about a £600 markup for the paintjob.

how do you like your epi? if you're still willing to play it, the tele would be more different than the SG.

Also, don't just consider gibsons and fenders- tokai makes a bunch of sgs, and the japanese-made ones (the best ones) would be under you budget, and should be a little cheaper than the gibsons, and you might prefer them. don't get too excited (because with the fall in the value of the yen the prices have risen recently), but it might be enough cheaper to leave you enough to consider a cheaper tele, too. squier classic vibe, mexican reissues, blade, even a second hand MIJ tokai tele, Japanese Fender or other japanese copy etc.

if you can find a shop which has new old stock bought at the old prices, for example, you could maybe pick up an MIJ tokai sg for, say, £500-£600.

There you go:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tokai-USG75-Electric-Guitar-Cherry-Finish_W0QQitemZ370166916632QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item562faae618

That would leave you the guts of £300 either to get a tele, or to put towards a tele, or to put towards an amp.

Obviously try one first, as you may prefer the gibsons, and that's ok too. The main difference is that the cheaper MIJ tokais have a poly finish, and the gibsons have nitro. If you don't care about that, you may well prefer the tokai.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 7, 2009,
Definitely go mim strat or tele, the LP will be fine for all the tones the SG could possibly have given you with the exception of some hard rock things.

Use the extra bucks to buy either an excellent tube amp for classic tones or just by a super champ and use the money on recording gear/gig gear.
Quote by Dave_Mc
^based on the vintages i've tried, there's no way in hell i'd be paying £800 for one. Far as i'm aware (could be wrong), it's just a bog standard vintage (i.e. decent value acceptable beginner to intermediate quality guitar) with about a £600 markup for the paintjob.
But look how pretty it isss.
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Last edited by ILiKePiNeAppLeS at Nov 7, 2009,
hehe
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
apparently not, or they wouldn't have needed the slogan.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
apparently not, or they wouldn't have needed the slogan.
The Gibson SG and LP and the Fender Strat and Tele are such icons of Dinosaur Rock; so, he needs to figure out how to get all 4 that he needs after he has his amp sorted.

Cool thanks, i'll try some out
Bands I've Seen

Eric Clapton
Letz Zep
Arc Angels
Joe Bonamassa
The Bootleg Beatles
Quote by Ippon
The Gibson SG and LP and the Fender Strat and Tele are such icons of Dinosaur Rock; so, he needs to figure out how to get all 4 that he needs after he has his amp sorted.

hehe
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Sounds like you're buying based mroe on budget that what you need in a guitar? I'm not being critical, just suggesting you step back and think about what you need/want before you drop that kind of money.

There are other brands out there, yes. I'm not going to try to dissuade you from what you want. But if you're looking for versatility, you might try something like a fat strat so you can get a bucker and a single coil sound unless you plan on buying a number of guitars.
I love my epi But I want an amazing guitar to keep untill I'm like 70 :]
Bands I've Seen

Eric Clapton
Letz Zep
Arc Angels
Joe Bonamassa
The Bootleg Beatles
I'd say get a MIM Telecaster. Solidly built, great sounding, plays well and sturdy as sin. You'll have good tonal variety to cover the styles you want to and have money left over for an amp-upgrade.

If you're going to go Strat then get an MIA. I think the jump from Mex to US is much more apparent with strats than telecasters.

I would still recommend a Telecaster though, perhaps even a mex-custom model/japanese.
Quote by Hydra26
Sounds like you're buying based mroe on budget that what you need in a guitar? I'm not being critical, just suggesting you step back and think about what you need/want before you drop that kind of money.

There are other brands out there, yes. I'm not going to try to dissuade you from what you want. But if you're looking for versatility, you might try something like a fat strat so you can get a bucker and a single coil sound unless you plan on buying a number of guitars.

It also seems like you're going by the name on the headstock. Classic rock can be played on any guitar. The reason old guitarists played Gibson and Fender back then is because those were the companies that were around. Now we have many other brands available. Electric guitar design hasn't changed in 60 years, all guitars are pretty much the same as they were 60 years ago. We just have many more options now, explore them. The reason why we have so many brands now is because people have different desires in guitars. They all feel and play differently. Try them out, that's the only way.
Try to find one of those strats with humbuckers. or settle for the SG you can never go wrong with a gibson ... best guitars on earth (production)
^ bollocks
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?