Page 1 of 4
First off, there are two important things I need to clarify:
1. Hateful or blatantly racist comments will not be accepted in this thread
2. I'm not a racist, but I have been thinking about this subject for a while

Do you think race and intelligence correlate? I don't think that people are at inherently less or more intelligent due to their race, but I think it's evident that some culture are less developed then other cultures. I think that people are naturally conformists, so they follow the framework of their culture that was established by there ancestors. For example, I think that African people have been worshipping various spirits and conforming to very primitive practices, because it has been considered a very bad thing for them to try to break there cultures customs. I also think that African American youth are more likely to cause crime because they were impoverished and uneducated since the beginning of their time in America. Going back to my earlier point, I think a lot of black kids in America think that it's cool to act 'gangsta' because it's a pretty normal think within their culture, not necessarily because they are naturally less intelligent or bad people.

What are your thoughts on this?
Define 'intelligence'.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
reminds me of a well-known one-legged psychiatrist who said on tv that there were studies made about this and that native americans and blacks were slightly less intelligent than whites, then he basically got raped by the medias.
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Haha, I mean the different human races smartasses.

And I totally agree with the Converge (who ****in' rule btw) moron.
I have a feeling this thread will not end well. Telling the pit not to be racist in a thread about race is like telling an arsonist not to burn down an old wooden house.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Every race has its share of smart and dumb people.
People are just too ignorant to realize this.

someone had to do it

████████████████████

███████████████████████
███████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████████

█████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████

█████████████████████

████████████████████
Last edited by speedy1330 at Nov 7, 2009,
Quote by IcePh0enix

And I totally agree with the Converge (who ****in' rule btw) moron.

Quote by speedy1330
Gif

Not to be a racist but your gif is incapable of working
Quote by DirtyMakik
reminds me of a well-known one-legged psychiatrist who said on tv that there were studies made about this and that native americans and blacks were slightly less intelligent than whites, then he basically got raped by the medias.

Are you by any chance refering to dr. mailloux?
A penny for my thoughts?

A bargain I say!

I'll give you a dollar

Take them all away...
Asians are the most intelligent. Studies show this, and the explanation is because they eat lots of seafood. Seafood has some ingredient in it that helps your brain.

But they have little weiners...
I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer. The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Quote by BlackIce87
I'm not gonna lie, goin' mobile looks like Sebastian Bach in the eighties.
Quote by IcePh0enix

No seriously define 'race'. Most people take it for granted that you can seperate people into neat categories like 'african-american' 'white' 'indian' etc but no one ever seems to be able to articulate how or why.
Last edited by Nietsche at Nov 7, 2009,
Quote by borntorock2112
Are you by any chance refering to dr. mailloux?

how many one-legged psychiatrists is there in this world?

Yeah, I'm refering to Doc Mailloux.
funkyducky

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
I dunno about intelligence, but blacks are physically faster and stronger on average.
Want proof? Just watch the olympics.
Certain people's motivation to acquire knowledge is affected by what environment they grew up in.
Quote by kayaress one

Sir, I love you.

Quote by Nietsche
No seriously define 'race'. Most people take it for granted that you can seperate people into neat categories like 'african-american' 'white' 'indian' etc but no one ever seems to be able to articulate how.

It's like different types of dogs. We're all dogs, we can interbreed and stuff, but we all have different traits. THAT is race my friend.
I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer. The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Quote by BlackIce87
I think it's more along the lines of cultural differences.

For example, in black culture, aspiring to go to the moon or become the next Einstein aren't very high on the list. Whereas on the flipside, in Japanese culture, not getting the best grades possible in school will get you disowned.

And in white culture, you get rewarded for being a sneaky bastard and finding some sly way to make money without actually doing much.

The potential to learn and become intelligent is there, but the desire or the drive doesn't always live up to it.
Last edited by archangels666 at Nov 7, 2009,
Quote by Nietsche
No seriously define 'race'. Most people take it for granted that you can seperate people into neat categories like 'african-american' 'white' 'indian' etc but no one ever seems to be able to articulate how.

Because they come from different culture and have unique physical and cultural characteristics. I don't really see why that's difficult to understand.
Quote by Goin' Mobile
It's like different types of dogs. We're all dogs, we can interbreed and stuff, but we all have different traits. THAT is race my friend.

But there are degrees of things like skin colour as with all features. It isn't just 'that guys white' or 'that guys black'.

Because they come from different culture and have unique physical and cultural characteristics. I don't really see why that's difficult to understand.

What I said above. As for cultural characteristics that's total bullshit. People's culture isn't defined by their skin colour.
Quote by IcePh0enix

This as well.

And for a few posts above; I don't see why white people need to put themselves down just to sound less racist.

Quote by BlackIce87
Quote by DirtyMakik
how many one-legged psychiatrists is there in this world?

Yeah, I'm refering to Doc Mailloux.

lol no need to get irritated, its just its not often you meet someone from quebec on the pit.
A penny for my thoughts?

A bargain I say!

I'll give you a dollar

Take them all away...
Quote by archangels666
I think it's more along the lines of cultural differences.

For example, in black culture, aspiring to go to the moon or become the next Einstein aren't very high on the list. Whereas on the flipside, in Japanese culture, not getting the best grades possible in school will get you disowned.

And in white culture, you get rewarded for being a sneaky bastard and finding some sly way to make money without actually doing much.

The potential to learn and become intelligent is there, but the desire or the drive doesn't always live up to it.

I agree for the most part, but what the hell are you talking about concerning white people? Since when did white (or any race's) parents tell their kids that being lazy will get you everywhere?
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Actually, define race....

Because to people it can be defined as anywhere between classifications of people by culture and geographical areas, to categorizing people based on the level of melanin in the their skin.
no.

"race" as you know it is very superficial

there isn't a big enough difference between people of other cultures to really say that, individual characteristics play a bigger part than ones "race"

if people of different ethnicities were that different we might all be considered subspecies, but they just aren't, our species is incredibly young, only about 200 000 years old, and due to our relatively long lives, there just haven't been enough generations to really create distinct differences in humanities' different groups
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Quote by borntorock2112
lol no need to get irritated, its just its not often you meet someone from quebec on the pit.

lol i didn't mean to sound like a b@astard, sorry.

funkyducky

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Quote by Nietsche
But there are degrees of things like skin colour as with all features. It isn't just 'that guys white' or 'that guys black'.

What I said above. As for cultural characteristics that's total bullshit. People's culture isn't defined by their skin colour.

Their genetic make up maybe? And it's not just their skin color; asians tend to have more narrow eyes, jews tend to have larger noses, blacks tend to have thicker lips etc. These aren't positive or negative traits, they're just realistic.

edit:
Quote by Carswell98
no.

"race" as you know it is very superficial

there isn't a big enough difference between people of other cultures to really say that, individual characteristics play a bigger part than ones "race"

if people of different ethnicities were that different we might all be considered subspecies, but they just aren't, our species is incredibly young, only about 200 000 years old, and due to our relatively long lives, there just haven't been enough generations to really create distinct differences in humanities' different groups

Yeah I guess that makes sense, it just seems to be a pretty accepted term. I didn't mean race of species or anything like that at all.
Last edited by IcePh0enix at Nov 7, 2009,
Quote by DirtyMakik

If you're going to divide the human race into different groups based on skin colour (which I think is a bad idea in the first place), there WILL be some difference in the average 'natural' intelligence rates. The question is whether or not there is a statistically significant difference between the groups.

Luckily, I don't think we'll ever have an answer to that question, because nurture is also a massive factor in determining how intelligent someone turns out to be. This is one of the few cases in science where I think a question is better off not asked, nor answered.
Quote by IcePh0enix
First off, there are two important things I need to clarify:
1. Hateful or blatantly racist comments will not be accepted in this thread

Good, I hope you follow through on this.

2. I'm not a racist, but I have been thinking about this subject for a while

Don't preface things with "i'm not a racist". Racist is a modernist slur used to discredit anyone who says anything about race.

Do you think race and intelligence correlate?

Yes

I don't think that people are at inherently less or more intelligent due to their race, but I think it's evident that some culture are less developed then other cultures.

They are more or less intelligent depending on their race. At least they have a predisposition to a certain level of intelligence. Most people of a race will fall into an intelligence bracket with others of their race. There are always outliers who go far beyond and below, but you do not look at individuals when you seek to understand the workings of a collective group.

I think that people are naturally conformists, so they follow the framework of their culture that was established by there ancestors.

They are and they do. Humans are tribal based creatures.

For example, I think that African people have been worshipping various spirits and conforming to very primitive practices, because it has been considered a very bad thing for them to try to break there cultures customs.

It depends on your definition on primitive. From the modern Western perspective, certain African tribes would be deemed primitive. Much in the same way ours would be deemed primitive by some Alien life form that could travel around the universe. That doesn't particularly mean ours or their culture is wrong, it is just the culture that has developed based on the abilities of the people within it.

I also think that African American youth are more likely to cause crime because they were impoverished and uneducated since the beginning of their time in America. Going back to my earlier point, I think a lot of black kids in America think that it's cool to act 'gangsta' because it's a pretty normal think within their culture, not necessarily because they are naturally less intelligent or bad people.

African American youth face the same exact problems Africans in Africa do. Despite having all the benefits of Western culture and society handed to them via colonization, most turn it down to live out life their way. Why is this? Because it is how they naturally act. It isn't "good" or "bad". It's just how it is. You don't blame a wolf for acting the way it does.

I should make myself clear on a final note that this is all general. There are some absolutely brilliant people of all races and all walks of life. These peoples are radicals when we look at all the data regarding race. Modern society has made the people the rule for the delusion that is "equality" as opposed to what they really are, the exception.

To the liberals who are about to jump on my throat, I'd like to say that race is not a social construct, but society is a racial construct.
My Gear

Fender MIM Telecaster
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Ibanez PF Acoustic Electric

Vox AC4TV8
Crate FXT 65

Various pedals
Last edited by BlueTele1983 at Nov 7, 2009,
Intelligence can only be measured by application, and white peoples have got an unfair advantage.

Where do you think you're going to find more nuclear physicists - in a country with several world-renowned universities in it, or a country that has been raped by Imperialist explorers from the previous country and on the worldwide plane been subjugated as the more developed country's bitch?

The countries that developed faster are simply the ones with more advantageous sites and situations (pick up your old geography textbook).
Last edited by blue_strat at Nov 7, 2009,
Quote by IcePh0enix
Their genetic make up maybe? And it's not just their skin color; asians tend to have more narrow eyes, jews tend to have larger noses, blacks tend to have thicker lips etc. These aren't positive or negative traits, they're just realistic.

What about blacks with thin lips? People of otherwise plain semitic background with small noses? Face it, dividing the human race along these kind of lines isn't 'realistic' it's a hangover from the 19th century that should have died out long ago.

Quote by BlueTele1983
Despite having all the benefits of Western culture and society

Are you seriously that retarded? African americans don't have any (Or at least very many) of the benefits of western culture and society.
Quote by salsawords
I agree for the most part, but what the hell are you talking about concerning white people? Since when did white (or any race's) parents tell their kids that being lazy will get you everywhere?

I didn't say it's what our parents taught us. Practically every parent on the planet tries to teach their kids to work hard and try their best. I'm talking about between peers.

The best example I can come up with right now is SparkNotes. Imagine a kid that discovers SparkNotes for the first time. He has to read a book for English class but doesn't have time, so he uses the site and gets all his homework done. When his friends ask him how in the hell he managed to get A's on all his homework when he didn't even read the book, he tells them about the site. They then praise him for his genius and revolutionary discovery.

Maybe that still doesn't quite clarify what I'm trying to say. I'm not saying that only white people use SparkNotes, but think of it as a metaphor for our knack for finding loopholes that we can use to bypass what others might consider hard work.

Does that make sense?
No. However, I think there is a correlation between race and SES and also one between SES and intelligence.
Quote by guitar_god22

thats about south africa tho...which isnt poor at all.
Quote by RyanInChains9
yea venezula is just the richest country in the world...
Quote by DirtyMakik
lol i didn't mean to sound like a b@astard, sorry.

its all good

quebec five!
A penny for my thoughts?

A bargain I say!

I'll give you a dollar

Take them all away...
Quote by Nietsche

Right.....

Idiot.

Prove me wrong.

Show me where a multiracial society has sprung forth from nowhere. You can have multiracial societies develop through war, colonization, or politics, but that is different from two racially distinct groups that got together, sat down, and formed one collective nation.

I'd like to hear some examples.
My Gear

Fender MIM Telecaster
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Ibanez PF Acoustic Electric

Vox AC4TV8
Crate FXT 65

Various pedals
Quote by Nietsche
What about blacks with thin lips? People of otherwise plain semitic background with small noses? Face it, dividing the human race along these kind of lines isn't 'realistic' it's a hangover from the 19th century that should have died out long ago.

No one is saying that EVERY SINGLE person of black heritage has larger lips, or anything like that. Of course there are a lot of differences among people of the same race. BUT, all races have features that are common among many of them of them. Most black people do have larger lips, as most asians have dark hair, etc...
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

People can't even define intelligence correctly or consistently really.
IQ is an inadequate measure.

There is also a huge cultural component in intelligence. The dude in the "primitive" Amazonian tribe who you consider to be an idiot because he sucks at Maths might consider you to be an idiot because you don't know how to tell which plants are good to eat, for example.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Page 1 of 4