So I've been playing a while now, and just got a new guitar, so I'm looking to get a nice amp. I play a MIM Fender Telecaster, and I also own a usa ehx big muff pedal.

Budget is about £300-400. Tonally I'm looking for something with a nice crunchy, vintage sound. Something like The Hives tone is what I'm after. But also something that can handle hard rock kinda of gain (not really high gain- I do not play metal).

I play classic hard rock/blues and more like The Hives, The Who, Led Zeppelin, White Stripes, Black Keys, Rolling Stones, Guns N' Roses, and very rarely Aerosmith. Highest gain I'll be playing is Turbonegro, and that isn't alot really.

Oh, and also it MUST be loud enough to be heard over a drummer, so maybe a 15 watt tube amp or something? (It will be used for bedroom practice, but also band rehearsal)

Thanks!!!!!!
Have you checked Ceriatone? They have some marshall clones, along with a few small wattage models.

Otherwise there is the blues junior, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Champion, Marshall Class 5, Vox Nightrain.
Valvepower
18 watt Marshall clone, £300. Stuff like Ceriatone are from US and thus cost more here. The Valvepower head is made in the UK and is a steal for £300. It's also got power scaling to bring it down to bedroom levels. A few people in GG&A have it and no doubt would recommend it for you.
Quote by FallsDownStairs
Have you checked Ceriatone? They have some marshall clones, along with a few small wattage models.

Otherwise there is the blues junior, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Champion, Marshall Class 5, Vox Nightrain.

Ceriatone.. They're DIY amps aren't they? I have no idea about how to build an amp lol! Plus they seem American, whereas I am located in England.

With the Marshall Class 5 being 5 watts, it wont keep up with drums, will it?
Quote by dotheFlop
Ceriatone.. They're DIY amps aren't they? I have no idea about how to build an amp lol! Plus they seem American, whereas I am located in England.

You'd be very surprised, if you ran it through a 4x12 cab, you could easily gig with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtFRmlPw3cY

EDIT: You should probably watch the whole thing, I forget exactly when he test drives the Class 5, but it's in there.
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
Last edited by IdntNedUrCvlWar at Nov 7, 2009,
Quote by aaronni
Valvepower
18 watt Marshall clone, £300. Stuff like Ceriatone are from US and thus cost more here. The Valvepower head is made in the UK and is a steal for £300. It's also got power scaling to bring it down to bedroom levels. A few people in GG&A have it and no doubt would recommend it for you.

+1

i'm not familiar with turbonegro, but it should work for the rest. bear in mind it doesn't have too much headroom, and has a very vintage tone with not too much gain. But that sounds like what you want.

EDIT: valvepower is located in england. awesome, especially for the money.

it'd need a boost for hard rock gain.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by aaronni
Valvepower

Last I checked Ceriatone was located in Malaysia. They also use asian parts, and not American, which makes it significantly cheaper. along with that they have models that are in his price range and they ship world wide.

Quote by dotheFlop

They can be DIY, but you can order them already made. They have prices on the site.
Quote by aaronni
Valvepower

Wow, that seems perfect- I watched the demo and them sounds are basically exactly what I want. Is that the head for £300? If so what sort of cab would I be looking for? I mean can you get any decent cabs for around £100 that would compliment that head well?
Quote by dotheFlop
Wow, that seems perfect- I watched the demo and them sounds are basically exactly what I want. Is that the head for £300? If so what sort of cab would I be looking for? I mean can you get any decent cabs for around £100 that would compliment that head well?

harley benton would probably be your best bet you can get them here http://www.thomann.de/gb/cat.html?gf=2x12_guitar_cabinets&oa=pra
Quote by FallsDownStairs
Last I checked Ceriatone was located in Malaysia. They also use asian parts, and not American, which makes it significantly cheaper. along with that they have models that are in his price range and they ship world wide.

Woops, sorry I must've got mixed up somewhere. Still gonna stick with my suggestion, made in England and it's £300.
Kustom Defender 50w or Epiphone Blues Custom 30 look the best at the price but not really switchable to home levels without an attenuator.
The perfect amp for you is the Hayden MoFo 30w/5w head but that alone is £425 and you'd need a cab for it.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Lurcher
Kustom Defender 50w or Epiphone Blues Custom 30 look the best at the price but not really switchable to home levels without an attenuator.
The perfect amp for you is the Hayden MoFo 30w/5w head but that alone is £425 and you'd need a cab for it.

i heard the epiphone blues custom 30 can be switched to 15watts
Quote by IdntNedUrCvlWar
You'd be very surprised, if you ran it through a 4x12 cab, you could easily gig with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtFRmlPw3cY

EDIT: You should probably watch the whole thing, I forget exactly when he test drives the Class 5, but it's in there.
That video doesn't really tell you anything about how a 5w amp would do with a band.

You wanna know what a 5 watt amp sounds like with a full band?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsO1-1TCchA
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by dotheFlop

yeah, the head is £300 plus whatever the postage is (£15?). the price went up £20 in the last while too (about 3 days after i got mine), but it's still kickass value.

I use the epiphone valve junior cab, but I got mine a good while back when you could still get them for £60 they've gone up now to more like £100, if not even slightly more. If that harley benton cab that britishsligean suggested is the same thing, then it's got to be worth considering (i suspect it is, but I'm not certain; i know the other harley benton tube amps are very close indeed to the epiphone models).

i actually prefer the tone of the valve junior cab to my laney cab with vintage 30s, but that's at home volumes, the epi cab might not fare so well at gig volumes.

depends on how much you have for a cab, really.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 7, 2009,
i cant believe the Vox AC15 hasnt been mentioned. should be easily affordable at your budget since you're in the UK. it'll do really well for the sounds you want and is easily boostable/tweakable with pedals if you need more. On it's own though, most of the bands' tones you mentioned are gonna easily found inside the Vox AC15 and at 15 tube watts it'll be plenty loud not to mention that the AC15 and 30 are known to be a bit louder than what you'd normally expect out of 15/30 watt amps
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
i can. the one i tried sounded like complete ass. To be fair, it was second hand, so maybe the tubes or speakers were dead or something. But yeah, the one i tried was horrible.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Take a look at the Blackheart Handsome Devil, very nice, and looks to be very suited for you. (I play pretty similar stuff to you; great amp for the classic rock genre.)
The Valvepower is a great recommendation, also.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!