hi fellow UG members. this is the first time im posting a thread so be nice

i need to give a speech regarding music and how it relates to learning and I was wondering if anyone has any info on this or some link they can give me(im using google results but only found 1 useful page) thanks for reading this
*cough* Music is all numbers. I'd think it would help with learning in SOME way or another *cough*
"I'm not concerned about all hell breaking loose, but that a PART of hell will break loose... it'll be much harder to detect." - George Carlin
Quote by Comeback Kiddd
hi fellow UG members. this is the first time im posting a thread so be nice

i need to give a speech regarding music and how it relates to learning and I was wondering if anyone has any info on this or some link they can give me(im using google results but only found 1 useful page) thanks for reading this
Exactly what are you looking for? The relationship between listening to different types of music and the effect it has on one's thinking patterns? The use of song as a memory aid? Something else?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
We listen to music that we like. We love them as hell! So, we listen to them very closely. We wait for the next note. We try to determine what the very next note would sound like. If we know the song, we just wait for that note to come knowing how it's going to hit. We do this all throughout the whole song. We follow the rhythm. Tap our foot. This way, we give our full attention to the song. Now this is what makes music so important on learning. Because, like the above description, music makes us concentrate. When we concentrate more and more, it grows. Concentration makes us learn thoroughly. More concentration sends the information to the long-term memory. So, listening to music is a way of concentrating just like Buddhist musing on breathing to grow concentration(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anapanasati).
Playing an instrument makes this concentration strong. Reading and playing complex music needs us to concentrate. So, the more we concentrate our concentration grows because of practice.

I think this is how music helps learning.

Read about The Mozart Effect too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozart_effect

Last edited by YA89 at Nov 7, 2009,
Well, I am a teacher and a musician, so I can probably provide you with some info, but would like to know what, more specifically, you are looking for.

Like, for one thing, music is typically all about patterns and their relationships among themselves. That is, at the very least, processed by the brain on a pretty passive level. People who understand theory (effectively the grammar of music), consider those relationships within those patterns more closely. How those patterns are assembled can be explained as very logical processes.

As a result, there is a huge correlation between success in studying music and excelling in math (patterns, logic) and computer studies (creative thinking, logic).

I have a statistic from some years ago that said that 99% of the CEOs in Silicon Valley are also practicing musicians.

When one applies to law school, music is looked at as a more favourable undergraduate degree than most because it represents creative thinking and a high level of discipline.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.