I need some help, preferably asap cuz my band is coming over to record in about an hour. I just have two questions:

1. If you record drum tracks without a click, doesn't Logic have a way that you can create a click track by scanning the drum tracks already recorded? If so what is it called so I can look it up on youtube.

2. How can I supress the sound of my kit in my overhead mic tracks so its mainly just the cymbals? I've been going through some of my other tracks (mostly toms and hi-hats) and have been deleting "excess noise" but obviously that doesn't work on the overheads cuz then you don't get the full ring of the cymbal. I already have a filter on 600hz and I guess I could possibly add a noise gate. Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Okay never mind about the click track question because I finally found a video on how to do it......unfortunately it'll probably take a shit load of time lol

I would still like some suggestions on how to take out more of the snare in my overheads though cuz I would really like it to be mostly my snare track cuz I have that soundin really nice
1. its called Beat Mapping, but it is a lot of work for not much return, its always best to track to a click in the first place

2. the best way to seperate drums from cymbals in the Over Head mics is by physically increasing the distance.
raise up the cymbals above the drum kit as far as is comfortable for the drummer. if at all possible, try to position the OH mics so that some cymbals can "shadow" some drums, and block them from being picked up too much.

however, it is important to realise that the OH mics are important for capturing the whole sound of the kit, not just the cymbals, in many cases it may not be desirable to eliminate the drums from the OH mics at all.
Quote by TheDriller
1. its called Beat Mapping, but it is a lot of work for not much return, its always best to track to a click in the first place

2. the best way to seperate drums from cymbals in the Over Head mics is by physically increasing the distance.
raise up the cymbals above the drum kit as far as is comfortable for the drummer. if at all possible, try to position the OH mics so that some cymbals can "shadow" some drums, and block them from being picked up too much.

however, it is important to realise that the OH mics are important for capturing the whole sound of the kit, not just the cymbals, in many cases it may not be desirable to eliminate the drums from the OH mics at all.

I know, just I have a Portnoy snare and its REALLY loud haha In the mix its to the point where it kinda overpowers the actual snare track lol I'm just tryin to balance it out. Thanks for the tips tho
Quote by anthsband
I know, just I have a Portnoy snare and its REALLY loud haha In the mix its to the point where it kinda overpowers the actual snare track lol I'm just tryin to balance it out. Thanks for the tips tho

turn down the snare spot mic in the mix perhaps?

or you could use some side-shian compression to duck the overhead channel briefly whenever the snare hits