Hey guys,

I'm doing a little research for a friend of mine who has been playing the bass for a few months now. He has this http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-Artcore-Ser-Hollowbody-without-Tremolo?sku=519527, the basic starter combo, and he has about $250 to spend. Should he go for a new bass guitar or a new amp. My recommendation was the amp, but I'm not sure.

Also, whichever one you think (guitar or amp) which one should he get within the price range of $250...thanks!
Quote by bartdevil_metal
I will make it my personal mission to track you down and floss your teeth with a wound g string.

Quote by Zaphikh
Oh yes, the communist.

^Me
Quote by Al4Project
Yes,
and they shall be forever known as the person i cannot escape in the pit

^Me

Valveking Wiki
amp for sure.

i made the retarded choice of buying a new bass first, and suffered for months before getting a new amp
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
amp. preferably, he should pay a little more. and look at craigslist.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
what kinda amp for that price though?
Quote by bartdevil_metal
I will make it my personal mission to track you down and floss your teeth with a wound g string.

Quote by Zaphikh
Oh yes, the communist.

^Me
Quote by Al4Project
Yes,
and they shall be forever known as the person i cannot escape in the pit

^Me

Valveking Wiki
Is he gonna stick with bass?

If so, tell him to save for a decent quality, and decent sized amp.
Quote by LordBishek
Vibrators, Schmibrators. They can't ignore my girth.
Last edited by Brodie337 at Nov 8, 2009,
defenatly new amp, otherwise he'll get a good bass and he'll think it sounds terrible because he's playing it through that amp. one of the various sized Fender Rumble's would be a good choice, i have a 100 watt one, its really awesome, probly wouldnt need one that big unless you plan on doing big gigs, but a 30 or so watt fender rumble you could get for that price and it'll make it sound really ace...
^ You can get a lot better than a Rumble for that price. They're very mediocre when it comes to bang-for-your-buck. For <100W amps on the cheap, Acoustic and Peavey rule the roost, with Acoustic being the better of the two. In Europe, if TS happens to be there, Laney and Peavey are on top but depending on the location other brands can be just as good. (laney, warwick, orange, etc...)

Used, Peavey and Carvin cannot be beat.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Nov 8, 2009,
Peavey are great, but really heavy. But then you have the unbeatable law or whatever, you can have two of: Cheap, Light or Good but not all 3.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

^ indeed, their stuff from the 80's was ungodly heavy. 3/4" plywood construction with heavy bracing will do that. However, you can drop it off of a moving truck and it'll laugh and ask for more.
Nope, no sig here.