Well I seem to be having a guitar crisis. Ive been playin a few years, bass and guitar both, and I'm fairly good at both. But I have a lot of trouble trying to play with another guitarist unless I am the one doing lead. I just can't watch someone and copy what they are playing x-x. This is frustrating me to the point where I'm considering trading my rig in for a bass rig, and just going back to that, but I love my guitar and rig too much, so that's not really too big of a thought going through my head. I really do need help learning to play with another guitarist, has anyone else had this dilemma? If possible, I could really use some advice. I mostly play metal/hard rock and it's variants.
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
i had the same problem for while due to the fact that i never practiced with a metronome so i just winged it instead of fallowing the drummer...i have sence took piano lessions from a veary strick teacher who made me learn to keep time...so all in all metronome! now if your talking if its just with another guitarest minuse the drummer, just let it come and hope you have a musical connection
Rig: dean razorback 10k, jackson dinky DKMG, dano 1960 silvertone...Randall Rh150
If you can play along to a song, you should be able to play with another guitarist.

Quote by Lovecannon
I just can't watch someone and copy what they are playing x-x.

Neither can a lot of people. Learn the song before hand.
I mean these are for originals. Covers I can play with other guitarists just fine, but originals I have trouble with. I can play along with songs just fine, and I can play with a drummer just fine. It's just when I'm trying to follow another guitarist is where I have trouble. I'm perfectly fine at keeping a beat (I played piano and bass for a long time), but I just simply cannot follow another guitarist, but if another guitarist follows me it's fine.
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Quote by Lovecannon
I mean these are for originals. Covers I can play with other guitarists just fine, but originals I have trouble with. I can play along with songs just fine, and I can play with a drummer just fine. It's just when I'm trying to follow another guitarist is where I have trouble. I'm perfectly fine at keeping a beat (I played piano and bass for a long time), but I just simply cannot follow another guitarist, but if another guitarist follows me it's fine.

Unless you're a real pro, you're gonna have trouble keeping up with another guitarist if you just try to follow along to something he just made up.

When the other guitarist comes up with a riff or lead, don't just try to follow him in real time, set down and let him show you what he is playing. That way you can learn it.
it seems you need to practice rhythm more. i would suggest playing along with songs you dont know, and try and play the rhythm. dont look up tabs, figure them out, this way you'll learn how to create instead of copy. try playing with a metronome when you can as well, to establish a sense of rhythm when playing by yourself.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by TK1
it seems you need to practice rhythm more. i would suggest playing along with songs you dont know, and try and play the rhythm. dont look up tabs, figure them out, this way you'll learn how to create instead of copy. try playing with a metronome when you can as well, to establish a sense of rhythm when playing by yourself.

Yeah... I never really learned to play songs by ear... x_x. That's probably my biggest problem, but as I said, I do have rhythm, that's not my problem. I just have trouble writing a riff to match another guitarists riff on the spot. Is that normal or can most of you guys just start riffing away to another guitarists riff the first time you hear it?
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Quote by Lovecannon

Then you have a serious issue, because if anything the lead follows the rhythm, not the other way around....more importantly though both guitarists follow the bassist and drummer.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Matts advice is very true.

To listen to someone and then get down what they are playing by ear without them showing you or slowing it down a bit can be easy enough for short simple parts. If they are playing something faster, longer and more complicated it is alot tougher to do especially if you are trying to get it right first time having only heard it once.

I think you may be expecting a bit too much from yourself and putting yourself under too much pressure.
Definitely ask to learn it in pieces. Just learning a bunch of riffs by watching a whole song played at speed is hard.