Page 1 of 2
Ok im in the market for a new guitar and i would like a gibson but what is the main difference between a gibson lp jr £599 , a gibson sg £599 and a gibson melody maker £399 apart from the price??? I was thinking of spending about £500 and i will be after a greenday type sound. I thought about the melody maker and maybe buying a new pickup...... or i could get a Epiphone Les Paul Custom for £550
Cheers Wils
Quote by wils07
Ok im in the market for a new guitar and i would like a gibson but what is the main difference between a gibson lp jr £599 , a gibson sg £599 and a gibson melody maker £399 apart from the price??? I was thinking of spending about £500 and i will be after a greenday type sound. I thought about the melody maker and maybe buying a new pickup...... or i could get a Epiphone Les Paul Custom for £550
Cheers Wils

The Lp Jr has one P-90 pickup. The SG Special has two uncoverd pickup is made outta Mahogany but wont get the same sustane as the Jr cause it has a thinner body. The Melody Maker is simlular to the Jr except it has a Strat type Singlecoil.

If you want a Green Day sound get the Jr since Bille Joe uses and Jr exactly the same but it's just a high price cause it has a different colour, comes with a Gibson case and has his name on it.

Also depends on what amp you have and at the moment Gibson aren't making very good guitars so try one out and try and shop around a bit.
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
If I was you I would get a Gordon-Smith guitar rather than a Gibson - http://www.gordonsmithguitars.com/
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
If you want a Green Day sound. You should just drink a gallon of whisky and 10 mcdonalds burgers and just vomit on a microphone. That would get you your sound for much less money.
Quote by akack
We beat you 6-0 you stupid mother ****er.

"Nobody likes an unkempt shrubbery - The monty Python appreciation society"
For a Green Day type sound, I'd suggest a Les Paul. And at your budget, a good Gibson would be hard to find (bear in mind that Gibsons are hellishly overpriced)
Quote by britishsligean
low end gibsons are know to be dodgy, i would go with a high end epiphone

Even those are dodgey. Just don't go near Gibson & Epiphone at all lol.
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Watch the band bashing. :/

TS, if you're going for Green Day sounds, P90's will do a good job. The Melody Maker with a pickup upgrade should do fine. You could also check out Vintage and Tokai guitars, as well as a Washburn WI-66 PRO-G
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
the big problem with the cheaper gibsons is that they're very variable. You might find a nice one, but you also might find one which doesn't appear to have had a fret job, or a neck finish, etc. etc.

going through those:

I haven't tried the melody maker, but as far as i'm aware it doesn't have a p90. That's going to make a pickup swap awkward (though i don't know what it's routed for under the scratchplate, which might make it easier if it were routed for a p90).

LP junior is your usual single p90 style guitar. that seems to be mostly what billie joe is using now, but it's worth pointing out that most earlier greenday was, as far as i'm aware, a fernandes strat souped up with a duncan JB humbucker in the bridge position.

i assume you're looking at the faded SG... again, my point about their being variable stands. I liked the one i tried, but the finishing was pretty dodgy around the neck and frets.

you could also consider the lp special, which has two p90s. Slightly more versatile (than the LP junior, i mean), kind of thing.

It's just me, but i wouldn't bother with the epi. If you're going to get a copy, you might as well get a good copy by another make than gibson's cheapo copy designed to increase its profits and differentiate its product line.

which brings me to: for all of those options, I think you should seriously consider Japanese-built Tokais. If you ask me, they destroy the cheaper gibsons. I don't think they make a melody maker, but they make most of the other models. Obviously try them first (they have quite a few dealers), and if you prefer the gibsons, by all means go for the gibson. Though I'd warn you to make sure you're trying the Japanese-built tokais (should say on the back of the headstock; failing that, 2 screws in the trussrod cover. but that's easy to fake, of course); the chinese-built ones are of a similar quality to epiphone. If you try the chinese-built ones it won't really give you a fair indication of what they're like.

E.g.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tokai-USG75-Electric-Guitar-Cherry-Finish_W0QQitemZ370166916632QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item562faae618

or they do a LP standard style one, consider you were looking at the epi:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tokai-Love-Rock-LS90Q-Electric-Guitar-Cherry-Sunburst_W0QQitemZ270361931262QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item3ef2d3adfe

I don't have ebay links to the rest (as the ones i saw were a bit dear), but here are the links to the tokai website (don't pay as much as those RRPs, if any shops have them they should be cheaper than that):

http://www.tokai-guitars.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=87&category_id=15&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=31 lp junior (as i said, don't worry about the prices, you can sometimes pick them up for £400-£500, especially if a shop has stock bought at the old prices)

they also do an SG junior if you want the look of the SG with the tone of the p90 (and sometimes a special with 2 p90s, though it's hard to find)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tokai-USG90-SG-Junior-Cherry-Red-Finish-Single-P90_W0QQitemZ370234145326QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item5633acba2e

http://www.tokai-guitars.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=34&category_id=15&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=31 dual p90 sg.

as i said, i'm not saying you should buy a tokai, you may prefer the gibson. But they're worth a try, and they do have quite a few dealers, so with any luck you should be able to try them.

EDIT: Gordon Smiths would also be worth a look, as jak archer said. You'd want to try them first, because like Gibson, their QC can be quite variable. I've liked the ones I've tried, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 7, 2009,
Quote by Tokai09

i own an epiphone and i love it, it's the best guitar i've ever played
Quote by britishsligean
i own an epiphone and i love it, it's the best guitar i've ever played

Consider yourself lucky that you got a good one lol.

Quote by Dave_Mc

which brings me to: for all of those options, I think you should seriously consider Japanese-built Tokais. If you ask me, they destroy the cheaper gibsons. I don't think they make a melody maker, but they make most of the other models. Obviously try them first (they have quite a few dealers), and if you prefer the gibsons, by all means go for the gibson. Though I'd warn you to make sure you're trying the Japanese-built tokais (should say on the back of the headstock; failing that, 2 screws in the trussrod cover. but that's easy to fake, of course); the chinese-built ones are of a similar quality to epiphone. If you try the chinese-built ones it won't really give you a fair indication of what they're like.

Personaly I think they destroy Gibson anyway even if you get a Chinese built one it sounds better than a Standard since I picked a £400 Chinese Tokai over a £1600 Gibson Standard.

i like the joan jett signature gibson. it's a double cutaway LP Junior, and instead of having a P90 it had a humbucker. very cool design i think!

EDIT: it's about $750 USD. forgot to add that.

and about gibsons not being up to standards. i honestly haven't played a gibson i absolutely hated. people like to bandwagon and sometimes accept other people's opinions as their own. not saying Tokai09 hasn't played a gibson he doesn't like, but try them out for yourself if you can and see what you think. people love to bash gibson, but the only thing they've completely deserved bashing for lately are their price hikes. but fender has done that too.

plus, tokai dealers (at least around me) are hard to find. buying a gibson gets you a nice warrantee and return policy if you buy it from a decent place.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Last edited by LifeIsABullet16 at Nov 7, 2009,
The Green Day guitarist uses a JR, get that.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Thanks for all the replies and i think i may have found what im after. Its the gibson sg raw power but it has a maple body and classic 57 pickups so will this will change anything reg the sound???. I know im being a pain but i like the shape of this over the jr.
a maple body should make the guitar a little bit brighter, but i don't know because i've never played one of the raw power guitars. they're definitely cool looking instruments though! but they're kind of expensive, and i don't know if you could find them used around since they're somewhat new.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by I am wet
The Green Day guitarist uses a JR, get that.

billie joe plays a wide variety of les pauls, but it happens to be that he favours early les paul jr models, but for some songs he plays an ordinary twin humbucjer les paul
Quote by britishsligean
billie joe plays a wide variety of les pauls, but it happens to be that he favours early les paul jr models, but for some songs he plays an ordinary twin humbucjer les paul

Still makes terrible music though lol.

Quote by LifeIsABullet16
a maple body should make the guitar a little bit brighter, but i don't know because i've never played one of the raw power guitars.

+1

also, try the tokais. You're not hurting anything if you try them and prefer the gibsons- at least that way you know. But if you don't try them, and find out later that you liked the tokais better...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Tokai09

All you've done in this thread is flame people, so i'm reporting you.

TS, go to your local guitar shop and try a bunch out! It's best to get a guitar that suits you rather than suiting someone else, then base your tone around his.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Chrisiphone
All you've done in this thread is flame people, so i'm reporting you.

TS, go to your local guitar shop and try a bunch out! It's best to get a guitar that suits you rather than suiting someone else, then base your tone around his.

I belive I had my own opions on Billie Joe and Gibson. My first post was very helpful I thought. My second post was me saying I think Tokai are better than Gibson and my 3rd was also me posting my personal opion on Epiphone. So if you count personal opions as "Flaming" then you are a very sensitive and sad person.

Try this one company called TC Ellis they build you a guitar to your specs for a very cheap price. I'm getting a PRS copy built with Bare Knuckle Nailbomb pickups for £450. So try them.

Quote by Tokai09

Quote by Toaki09

They certainly look like constructive and supported opinions

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Chrisiphone

They certainly look like constructive and supported opinions

No they're my personal opinions. I would never go near Gibson or Epiphone since I've had 3 crappy Epiphones (that included the Custom model) and a Gibson SG Special. Just cause you're most probably an Epiphone fan boy doesn't mean I am. I admit the last comment was great but that is my personal opinion.

Oh and when I said "Even they are dodgey" I was refering to someone saying the low end Epiphones are dodgey so the OP should get a Custom model.

Try and get your facts right ok?

Last edited by Tokai09 at Nov 8, 2009,
Quote by IHeartMyCrybaby
You're REALLY lucky or you haven't played many guitars.. Or you're half deaf

Oh no no you can't have a personal opinion on this thread if it's against Epiphone or Gibson.

Last edited by Tokai09 at Nov 8, 2009,
Well thanks for all the info guys and i have made my mind up as ive decided to go with a LP studio as i found it more comfortable than the slim SG. Also i cound`t find a store that had any tokai`s in to try all where out of stock l. Anyway i went to dawsons to look at the LP studio as they had one in white and because thay had the take it away scheme i did just that lol.
Quote by IHeartMyCrybaby
You're REALLY lucky or you haven't played many guitars.. Or you're half deaf

who do you think you are to judge someone's experience of guitars or ability to hear just because they have a guitar made by a particular brand that they like better than any other guitar they played? he didn't say which epi he had, maybe he's got a kalamazoo-built epiphone?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
u mentioned an sg, if u were gonna get one i'd get the raw power version. tried it out and it has proper gibson tone minus a shiny paintjob..... but then again guitars are to be played not looked at
only problem, it's £630 :O but thats not too much more than ur regular sg
Quote by wils07
Well thanks for all the info guys and i have made my mind up as ive decided to go with a LP studio as i found it more comfortable than the slim SG. Also i cound`t find a store that had any tokai`s in to try all where out of stock l. Anyway i went to dawsons to look at the LP studio as they had one in white and because thay had the take it away scheme i did just that lol.

no worries, as long as you got one you liked. That's weird they were all out of stock of tokais, though. I know gibsons are on back-order quite a bit at the moment, or something like that.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
no worries, as long as you got one you liked. That's weird they were all out of stock of tokais, though. I know gibsons are on back-order quite a bit at the moment, or something like that.

Tokais are now being hand built and it's like a 3 month gap in between each shipment.

Quote by wils07

Glad you're happy with the guitar, personaly not a fan of Gibson but It's down to everyones personal opinion.

Hope you have fun with the guitar =]

Quote by Tokai09
Tokais are now being hand built and it's like a 3 month gap in between each shipment.

they couldn't all be handbuilt...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What do you mean whats the difference?
Look at the spec, a good idea before you buy any guitar.
Must agree low end gibsons aren't worth the money, save up a bit, or look into epiphone and tokai for a better deal
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Quote by Tokai09

that only applies to the MIJ tokais, unless there's been a sudden change within the last week or so that i was unaware of. the chinese models are likely assembled alongside all the other chinese gibson knockoffs (such as epiphone, vintage, everything else you can think of really lol), which are pretty much all made in a selection of about 10 different factories
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Tokai09
Oh no no you can't have a personal opinion on this thread if it's against Epiphone or Gibson.

quit whining like a pussy because someone told you to stfu. It may say in the decleration of indipendince that you have "freedom" but nobody's free, dipshit. That's why they have police,government,and mods on the internet that will ban you. If you're free, you could run outside hitting people and yelling curses out.

But you'd go to jail, wouldn't you? Now quit whining like the little, crybaby, piece of shit you are and keep your opinions in the small, ****ing brain of yours.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG350EX
ESP/LTD EC400AT

Soon to have an Ibanez RG1550M, 350M, and RG2610!!
Quote by CKYIbanezParker
quit whining like a pussy because someone told you to stfu. It may say in the decleration of indipendince that you have "freedom" but nobody's free, dipshit. That's why they have police,government,and mods on the internet that will ban you. If you're free, you could run outside hitting people and yelling curses out.

But you'd go to jail, wouldn't you? Now quit whining like the little, crybaby, piece of shit you are and keep your opinions in the small, ****ing brain of yours.

Hahaha lol. Aren't you a smart little one who can do nothing but swear. By the looks of things you're the one who has the small brains.

Oh and having personal opinions on guitars wouldn't get me arrested or banned from websites

Last edited by Tokai09 at Nov 13, 2009,
Page 1 of 2