So, in the not too distant future, I'm thinking about picking up a 4x12 cabinet for my head. Basically, I'm looking into getting a band going again, and to start gigging again.

I currently have a 2x12 cabinet my neighbor made for me, and it's good for playing at home, or garage jamming, but it's also made out of pine, which I'm told isn't quite as good to build a cab out of if you're playing heavier genres, than say, birch plywood like most 4x12 cabs out there. Not to mention it got kind of beat up from hauling around in my last serious band. In other words, I'm looking for something sturdier, and more resonant.

It's got nothing to do with "needing" to be louder , just my personal preference.

So without futher ado, what should I look into? I was thinking about spending up to $350-$400 on something used, since I often see Marshall 1960A's for about that on craigslist, and Mesa 4x12's for a little more. Even though it's out of budget by far, I am also curious if ENGL cabs are amazing enough to justify the $1,000+ price tags.

I'm open to hear opinions on this though. I'm also open to the thought of loading an empty 4x12, or swapping speakers in one since I have 2 speakers I want to use anyway. So build quality is probably first priority, then speakers.

Thanks for any input

P.S: My amp is a Mesa Boogie F-50 head.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Last edited by FlightofIcarus at Nov 7, 2009,
Mesa Standard/Traditional?
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
The Marshall 1960 and Mesa oversized cabinets sound like your best bet. You should be able to pick one up in your budget, and those cabinets are very resonant. Avatar, Framus, and Orange are also good cabinets to keep an eye out for.
Thanks

How big of a difference is there between the Mesa Oversized, and the Traditional?
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

Quote by FlightofIcarus
Thanks

How big of a difference is there between the Mesa Oversized, and the Traditional?

Not exactly sure myself. I have a Mesa oversized cabinet...and I love how it sounds...but moving it up the stairs to my studio is hell! The web says it weighs 114lbs, and its got the diamond plating too. Sounds great though.
Quote by FlightofIcarus
Thanks

Enough difference that the Oversized can extremely easily have uncontrollable, flubby bass while the Traditional doesn't.

Go with the Traditional.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
Quote by no.mop
Enough difference that the Oversized can extremely easily have uncontrollable, flubby bass while the Traditional doesn't.

Go with the Traditional.
Too bad I rarely see Traditional cabs for sale on craigslist. A guy I work with bought one recently and loves it though.

So I think I'm going to keep on the lookout for either an older 1960a w/Vintage 30's, or a Mesa Traditional then.
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

Boogies have a tendency to sound great through stock marshall 1960 cabs for some reason.....I don't quite get it...but they usually sound amazing.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
Boogies have a tendency to sound great through stock marshall 1960 cabs for some reason.....I don't quite get it...but they usually sound amazing.
By stock, do you mean the ones with the Celestion G12T-75's? Or just Marshall cabs in general?
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

I've got a Marshall 1960A 4x12 box (Celestion G12T-75 speakers) and I love it. Everything I've ever plugged into it sounded great. I've never regretted buying it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I would recommend a cab with vinatge 30s in it, they sound a lot better than
GT1275s IMO. And they are 60 watt each which would give you 240 watt handling per cab which should be enough.
Gibson SG Standard, Gibson SG 60s tribute, Edwards Les Paul, Fender Telecaster, Epiphone SG Custom
orange splawn mesa marshall avatar in that order

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by FlightofIcarus
By stock, do you mean the ones with the Celestion G12T-75's? Or just Marshall cabs in general?

Yeah the one with 75's. They sound great!!! Boogies have a low mid thing going on that a LOT of people enjoy and the 75's accentuate that.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Well, I gotta ask one more question here since I'm curious, lol.

Are Ampeg guitar cabs any good? There's one for sale near me for $300. Should I?...

A: Check it out, and that's a fair deal.
B: See if the guy is willing to take a lower offer?
C: Just wait and go w/a Marshall/Mesa/Avatar when you can?

I'm not sure what speakers are in it, but am mainly curious if it's a solid, well built cab.
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

id go with a mesa, ive used about every kind of cab here or there, mesa oversized work for everything, they produce alot more bottom end which you have to set your eqs for, its not flabby and uncontrollable unless your using excessive amounts of bass in your tone, ive used my mesa through it, my marshall, my rackmounted mesa stuff, and now my orange and everything sounds great
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210