Ive never put together a pedal before, but Ive been thinking about trying my luck at building an OLC Chunky Cheese. Ive never done any kind of soldering before, but I have a couple friends who are pretty good with it and can help me learn how to do it. Im a bit worried at attempting though, so I was wondering if this particular build would be too difficult for a beginner or if its not too hard to figure out.
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
I say get a breadboard and practice on that, that way u get it down. Also, a breadboard helps with the actual wiring, and it's relatively easy to use.
"its true that we dont know what weve got untill we loose it but its also true that we dont know what weve been missing until it arrives"
Quote by 3BlindMyceZeke
This is amazing advice. You sir, Mr.LeadGuitar, are the god of the Bandleading forum.

In Rhode Island? Join!
The Mosfet boost from AMZ is a good place for starters to get their feet wet. Its a very simple clean boost circuit, that can be built point to point for under $20. If you buy a PCB expect to pay twice that.

Here's a link to the schematic, and a pic of one I built - http://www.muzique.com/schem/mosfet.htm

Last edited by Matt420740 at Nov 7, 2009,
I thought soldering would be the hardest while building a pedal, but it's not. Placing input, the board, output, switch was the hardest part.
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Silverburst Epiphone Les Paul Custom
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
Quote by fender4482
I thought soldering would be the hardest while building a pedal, but it's not. Placing input, the board, output, switch was the hardest part.

Finding the box was the hardest for me. I had to cut up a cakepan, and a brownie pan to build it. It's way to big though. Still haven't completed that A/B/Y box. I also couldn't get 1 of the parts. The main part.

Good luck on whatever it is your making!
..I was watching my death.
Quote by timbit2006
Finding the box was the hardest for me. I had to cut up a cakepan, and a brownie pan to build it. It's way to big though. Still haven't completed that A/B/Y box. I also couldn't get 1 of the parts. The main part.

Good luck on whatever it is your making!

LOL, you sound like me. I used a Briggs and Stratton 5hp engine air cleaner for my enclosure in the pic I posted earlier. And I used a brownie pan for this tube amp.

Quote by Matt420740
LOL, you sound like me. I used a Briggs and Stratton 5hp engine air cleaner for my enclosure in the pic I posted earlier. And I used a brownie pan for this tube amp.

I got the inspiration from your tube amp in a cakepan thread. I thank you again for that.
..I was watching my death.
Quote by timbit2006
I got the inspiration from your tube amp in a cakepan thread. I thank you again for that.