I was wondering if there is any process or rules regarding Slayer style,Celtic Frost, and Morbid Angel style atonal solos, or is it just about creating the most chaotic noises possible?
you can use Whole Tone scale, the chromatic scale, or any diminished/half-diminshed scales, also excessive use of the whammy bar helps
There are no rules in music. Play what you like.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Quote by Alter-Bridge
There are no rules in music. Play what you like.

Yes, there are. You seem to know enough theory that you should be able to understand that.
A major chord (by itself) sounds happier than the corresponding minor chord because of these rules. Play seven random notes on your guitar and then play any scale. Unless first time round you happen to hit a scale then you'll probably notice it sounds shit comparatively.
Who comes up with this no rules in music bullshit? The fact that people have written down what things sound a certain way does not mean that you have to stick to them all the time.
Saying play what you like doesn't help the TS play atonal solos if what he's looking for is tips on atonal scales.

For the TS: What nergal said up there^ Also, don't forget to play with irregular rhythms in your solo's and lots of accidentals to really make something 'uncomfortable'.
With our lives based on the hope for salvation
The humanist paradigm is nothing but a charade
Condemned to inertia: a passive race
We wait and contemplate

Quote by tenfold
No, there are not any rules.

They're more like guidelines anyway.

just play random shit, but try to keep it fairly clean. don't make grinding noises all over the place. Whammy does help. So does a few good pinch harmonics. dont make it so atonal its impossible to listen to.

Also i love Celtic Frost. Thought i'd mention that.
Like punk the way it used to be? Deranged Youth Its like what Warped Tour should be!

Want to hear something mind-blowing? Pit O' Bodies Its like an amateur hypnotist plus the Spanish Inquisition!
Quote by tenfold
No, there are not any rules.

Yes there are.

A 1, a b3, and a 5 will always make a minor chord forever and ever until the end of time. That is a rule. Until people learn to accept the rules and work with them, they will never be the best musician they can be.
My Gear

Fender MIM Telecaster
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Ibanez PF Acoustic Electric

Vox AC4TV8
Crate FXT 65

Various pedals
Quote by BlueTele1983
Yes there are.

A 1, a b3, and a 5 will always make a minor chord forever and ever until the end of time. That is a rule. Until people learn to accept the rules and work with them, they will never be the best musician they can be.

This^
A minor chord sounds like a minor chord because of the b3 and 5. You wont get exactly the same sound out of any other group of tones. Following them is not always necessary or useful.
We wait and contemplate

Quote by BlueTele1983
Yes there are.

A 1, a b3, and a 5 will always make a minor chord forever and ever until the end of time. That is a rule.

Those are just depictions of music explanation, you don't have to ever make a minor chord if you don't want to so they're not rules. You do not always have to play an Em in C, you could play a major or something else, it's just describing why it sounds like that.
Quote by tenfold
Those are just depictions of music explanation, you don't have to ever make a minor chord if you don't want to so they're not rules. You do not always have to play an Em in C, you could play a major or something else, it's just describing why it sounds like that.

You are confusing composing with the actual music being performed. Composition need not have rules, but structurally, regardless what the anti-theorists say, music has rules.

A chords spelled D-F-A will always be a Dm chord, every single time. This is a rule. Why is this ? Because it has a 1, b3, and a 5, and any time those notes are played together, they will produce a minor chord, which in our case happens to be Dm. This is just an example, but you get the point. There will always be 4 quarter notes in 4/4 time and C Ionian will never have a sharp or flat naturally occur. The list goes on. Music has rules.
My Gear

Fender MIM Telecaster
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T

Vox AC4TV8
Crate FXT 65

Various pedals
Last edited by BlueTele1983 at Nov 7, 2009,
Quote by tenfold

So because you can break the rules, just like I said in my first post, means that they aren't rules? You don't have to play an Em in C but it is a rule that, in the key of C, the chord of the third degree is minor. Basing your argument off technicality of your terminology is absurd.
We wait and contemplate

Quote by tenfold
No. Theory has rules. Now I'm done arguing, this is stupid.

Pick up your guitar.

Play an E

Now play a G#

And finally a B

Guess what, those notes will produce an E major, always and forever. That is a musical rule.

Now, you in your hell bent quest to prove music has no rules will say "I can just as easily play an E minor instead of E major". Sure you can big guy, and guess what, your going to need an E, a G, and a B

Why?

Because the rules of music say that G is the minor 3rd of E and B is the 5th of E. And to make a minor chord, we need a 1, a minor 3, and a 5. Guess what, those are rules. They don't change.

This is how music is made up, with rules. Whatever you choose to do with those notes is up to you, but how those notes apply to one another does not change and are subject to rules.

There is no argument, there is you childishly bemoaning the fact that art is indeed built upon structure.
My Gear

Fender MIM Telecaster
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T

Vox AC4TV8
Crate FXT 65

Various pedals
There are no rules to what you have to play. Following arbitrary rules generates generic sounding bands that don't do anything new. Ignoring arbitrary limitations on what to play creates interesting and unique sounding bands.

That said, there are rules that govern sound. As others have pointed out, a 1, 3, 5 triad is a major chord and a 1, b3, 5 makes a minor chord. It is not those rules that one must break, because one literally cannot break them. It is the rules of when that should be ignored.
Quote by tenfold
For slayer... play a bunch of random shit and look cool.

funny and true