Alright so I've been playing guitar for almost 8 years, and I've decided it's time to invest some money into some quality recording gear. I want to be able to record vocals, acoustic guitars, electric and bass guitars. Currently I'm going through a Traynor YCV40. Somewhere down the road I intend to record drums, but it's not absolutely necessary at this point. I want good quality, doesn't have to be amazing. I'd like to keep the grand total at about $600-700 if possible.

What I figure I'm going to need (If anyone has anything else to add, please feel free):

- Dynamic Microphone
- Condenser Microphone
- Studio Monitors
- Mic Stands/XLR Cables
- Audio Interface

I think I've settled on either the PreSonus Firebox or Firepod. Which one I will buy will depend highly on whether or not I can find a Firepod used. As for the rest, I was considering going with one of the studio packages that MF offers, like this one: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-BX5a-Monitor-and-Mic-Package?sku=582250

Anyways, does anyone have any suggestions about what route to go, should I buy these things individually or go for a package? What mics? I'm pretty lost about which mic to get for vocals.

Any advice will be much appreciated, thanks!

2001 Fender MIM Stratocaster
1987 Fender F-210 Acoustic
Partscaster (in progress)

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Follow me on Twitter!
Last edited by Mike1109 at Nov 7, 2009,
Dynamics tend to be not as warm as condensers, which as used for vocals and acoustics more due to their greater sensitivity. So a nice condenser would be the type of mic you would want for vocals. Although a good sm57 couldn't do you wrong either.

EDIT: just looked at the package, i have the MXL 990/991 deal. Nice mics, just nothing too amazing. I could post clips if you wanted of different sounds with them.

Fender Telecaster w/ GFS Lil' Killer
Jet City Pico Valve

Quote by Chaos-Serenade

The fretboard is dry because it is more than likely made in China.

I wonder how he came to this conclusion.
Lyrics
Inside the back
Walk with me
Reign, Rain

Call me Drew
Last edited by OctoberWind at Nov 8, 2009,
Quote by OctoberWind
EDIT: just looked at the package, i have the MXL 990/991 deal. Nice mics, just nothing too amazing. I could post clips if you wanted of different sounds with them.

Yeah that would be great man, send me a link!

2001 Fender MIM Stratocaster
1987 Fender F-210 Acoustic
Partscaster (in progress)

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Follow me on Twitter!
There's three or so songs on my profile that never were intended for public use. haha. I had to pillage my computer for these! So be warned that I might have learned how to use mics better now!
EDIT: The come out and play cover uses my tele with the GFS Lil' Killer. Sounds great in my opinion.
Oh yeah, In 47 skip to 2:00 after a few bars, solo starts there. The palm muted overload is becasue of my MG cab + my squier strat with an invader= honk.

Fender Telecaster w/ GFS Lil' Killer
Jet City Pico Valve

Quote by Chaos-Serenade

The fretboard is dry because it is more than likely made in China.

I wonder how he came to this conclusion.
Lyrics
Inside the back
Walk with me
Reign, Rain

Call me Drew
Last edited by OctoberWind at Nov 8, 2009,